Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help ! I have rubbed compound my my leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 11:43 PM
tahirr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! I have rubbed compound my my leather seats

I guess this might be the blunder of all blunders posted on this site. I was going to clean my leather seats and grabbed a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound instead of Gold Class Rich Leather. Bottles are exactly the same, but the labels.

After about 3 hours as I was putting things away, I noticed the mistake. Immediately, I cleaned the seats with a blend of H2O and Woolite, About 5-1. Wiped it down really good and then generously rubbed Gold Class Rich Leather.

My, question is, have I damaged the leather? What can I do to recover from any chemical reactions it might take place next few weeks? Luckily I did not use a lot of pressure while applying compound. Leather does not look damaged but has a bright shine now. Color is safe too, luckily.

Please help.
Old 03-18-09, 06:00 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe you did the right thing by cleaning with a strong solution of Woolite and water. I hope you made sure to remove all of the compound. That compound is very aggressive and uses micro abrasives. It is important to remove all of the micro-abrasives. I'd think about giving the leather another Woolite treatment just to be sure you got it all removed. If some of the abrasives got caught up in the pores of the leather or the seams it may cause damage every time you get in and out of the car.

I would also suggest posting this question over at the Meguiars forum (meguiaronline.com) where you can get a definitive answer from one of the Meguiars people.

And no this is not the worst blunder of all time. My uncle cleaned road tar off of his Ford with a brillo pad. LOL
Old 03-18-09, 11:52 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I would also suggest posting this question over at the Meguiars forum (meguiaronline.com) where you can get a definitive answer from one of the Meguiars people.
i think that would be the best way to go about it. specifically you should try to ask mike phillips. i think there is a number that you can call as well. the manufacturer should have the best solution regarding their own products
Old 03-18-09, 01:03 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Saw your post on MOL. Don't panic. Maybe you just discovered a new use for Ultimate Compound!
Old 03-18-09, 10:42 PM
tahirr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your input. I did examine my leather seats in Sunlight today. I am surprised that compound did not harm them much. The only place where I rubbed real hard to remove a stain has a very slight discoloration and that portion is also very shiny. Over all shine has diminished quite a bit. The compound is not oil based therefore I think it will not clog the leather pores.

I will be busy until next weekend and won’t have any time to work on my car. But as soon as I get a chance I will use leather cleaner, as some of you have suggested, and conditioner for next three four weeks.

The compound also got into creases and I think it will be almost impossible to remove compound from there. My fear is that crease might start to break and after a few months pop open my seats like a ‘Toilet Lid’…. lol I am still a little worried but not as much as I was last night. Thanks all.

MyfirstES had joked that I might have discovered an additional use of compound… hahahahaha Even though it has cleaned my seats much better than any leather cleaner would have, but I would never ever use this as a cleaner for leather seats. Keep the crease issue in mind (we will find out in a few weeks if they really get damaged) and also I might be a lucky one to escape this blunder. I think no one should test this practical on an extremely expensive part of a car : )

I will update you guys in a few weeks, how my seats behave.

I did use the meguiars forum, thanks Jim.
Old 03-18-09, 11:02 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

haha. you mean you conditioned your leather with rubbing compound? :P This is a first for me lol

You didn't harm anything don't worry lol... Rubbing compound doesn't have any harmful solvents in it that would affect the leather. no biggie!