Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Letting leather conditioner sit overnight?

Old 08-03-04, 05:20 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Letting leather conditioner sit overnight?

Hi, I just finished my Duragloss 441 cleaner with 221 treatment on my seats. I usually just let the conditioner sit for about a half an hour before wiping the excess off, but tonight Im going to let the conditioner stay on the seats till the morning, when I will wipe it off. Is doing this bad for my leather in any way? Is it better to let it sit for a longer time? Any input would be appreciated
Old 08-03-04, 09:48 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only negative I can think of is that you may get a film on the leather from the emollients drying out, which would require you to go over the seats again with bit more fresh conditioner and towel via hand buffing, to remove that film.

Remember; Lexus leathers are polyurethane clearcoated, so after about 10 -20 minutes or so, all the conditioning of that top layer will be achieved, and more time *probably* won't help much more to soften it, and the product will dry out on the surface. It just can't all penetrate through sealed leather.

It will vary from product to product however, so don't take this as a hard and fast rule. Some products will leave more of a film than others too, so experimenting shouldn't be a problem if you're so inclined.

I did that once on another car a couple years ago with Meg's Gold Class Leather Care and I did get a funky film that I didn't like. Was easy enough to remove though. Cheers.