Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 08:21 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultima Paint Guard Plus?

Just wondering - has anyone tried Ultima Paint Guard Plus on their car? It sounds good (as most advertisements do) but what are the 'real world' results?

From the Autopia-Carcare website:

Ultima Paint Guard Plus, containing Polycharger Wax Booster technology, is the longest lasting, clearest and easiest paint protection you can apply to your car. This product takes about ten minutes to apply to a clean, dry vehicle. Simply wipe on and walk away. No buffing required.
Ordinary waxes and paint sealants easily wash off in a matter of weeks, but Ultima Paint Guard Plus continues protecting, beading water and shining for months. No other car wax product resists detergents, pollution, hard water spotting, road salts, insect remains, bird droppings and acid rain as well as Ultima Paint Guard Plus. The results are guaranteed.
Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a hyper-concentrated formula. When used as directed, a single 4 ounce bottle is enough product to coat a mid-size vehicle up to 20 times. Our super durable formula protects for months, but you may apply it as frequently as you like.

4 Ounces for $35.00 .....is it worth it?
Old 01-18-08, 08:47 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it on a customer's work van and seems to be holding up pretty well after 2 months. WOWA product just like Optimum Opti-Seal and Zaino Z-CS. And yes, its polycharged, so its supposed to last longer. But again, its only been 2 months, so I can't comment on durability beyond that.

I just bought some Trim Guard Plus ($48) and Polycharged some Collinite 845, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 01-20-08, 06:52 PM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using it and am very happy. You have to apply veryvery thin. 4oz will last a long time - it seems expensive, but is not that bad on a per application basis. Durability seems good, but I tend to add a coat every couple of weeks, so I don't really test it.
Old 01-20-08, 07:37 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I like Optimum Opti-seal for durability, looks, and ease of application. Opti-seal seems to be equivalent to the Ultima product but for less than half the price.
Old 01-21-08, 06:58 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I like Optimum Opti-seal for durability, looks, and ease of application. Opti-seal seems to be equivalent to the Ultima product but for less than half the price.
Is the Optimum Opti-Seal a wipe on and leave on product like the Ultima Paint Guard Plus?
Old 01-21-08, 09:13 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Is the Optimum Opti-Seal a wipe on and leave on product like the Ultima Paint Guard Plus?
Yes, its the same WOWA (wipe on walk away) type of product. But Ultima products contain Polycharger and will probably last alot longer than Opti-Seal. I've just tested the Ultima PGP going on 2 months now and still looks great.
Old 01-21-08, 09:49 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Yes, it is the same type of product. The Ultima MIGHT last longer....but Opti-seal is much CHEAPER. I put on a coat of Opti-seal on my cars every 3 months because 1) it is sooo easy and 2) I can't help myself. From my experience, Opti-seal will last longer than 3 months...but I'll never know how much longer because I always re-apply every 3 months.

Appyling Opti-seal only takes about 15 minutes. The shine and slickness is amazing.

I also wash with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) which works great with Opti-seal.
Old 01-22-08, 02:33 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

What does this actually do? Can someone translate into lame mans terms? From the description, it sounds like it works just like Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer, how does it differ exactly?
Old 01-22-08, 08:53 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it's basically a spray on wax that is suppose to last longer...
Old 01-22-08, 09:14 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Ultima PGP is a clear WOWA spray sealant. It contains Polycharger, which is an additive that boosts gloss and durability. It does not contain waxes and is used to protect your paint. UQD is a quick detailer and does not protect the paint. Hope that helps.
Old 01-22-08, 09:23 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
Ultima PGP is a clear WOWA spray sealant. It contains Polycharger, which is an additive that boosts gloss and durability. It does not contain waxes and is used to protect your paint. UQD is a quick detailer and does not protect the paint. Hope that helps.
I see, I thought UQD somewhat protected paint since when it's applied water beads off of it. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it protect paint but I thought that applied a layer of some sort of protection for the water to bead. It sounds good though, does it also help take out some swirl marks or at least prevent some from developing after it is applied?

Also, whats "WOWA"? Or is it something I don't necessarily need to know to understand this product?
Old 01-22-08, 09:31 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rfx45
I see, I thought UQD somewhat protected paint since when it's applied water beads off of it. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it protect paint but I thought that applied a layer of some sort of protection for the water to bead. It sounds good though, does it also help take out some swirl marks or at least prevent some from developing after it is applied?
No and No. UQD is a quick detailer. Doesn't offer any protection or cleaning ability.

Also, whats "WOWA"? Or is it something I don't necessarily need to know to understand this product?
Wipe On Walk Away
Old 01-23-08, 05:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

No and No. UQD is a quick detailer. Doesn't offer any protection or cleaning ability.

Wipe On Walk Away

Wrong on both counts!

MEGUIAR'S ULTIMATE QUIK DETAILER
The most advanced high bead and deep gloss spray detailer! Meguiar's®, the company that brought car enthusiasts the world’s first spray detailer, now introduces a revolutionary mist and wipe product that works like a spray detailer and enhances wax protection. This totally unique formula represents a significant breakthrough in technology that has even our eyes popping! Through the use of new Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™, Meguiar's has created a spray detailer that actually repels water, withstands multiple car washes, and adds additional protection to your finish. The secret lies in the high level of surface tension created when these revolutionary polymers react. The result is a slicker, darker surface and incredible water beading! You will feel your towel almost float across the surface. The gentle, high lubricity formula is safe on all paint types including the latest clear coats and can be used daily to remove loose contaminants, dust and grime to keep your car looking its absolute best. It's so easy, you can detail a full size car in less than 10 minutes!
It removes bug guts, bird droppings, dust, and fingerprints so yes, in that sense, it is a cleaner and it offers added protection that even "withstands multiple washings".

Disclaimer!

Not trying to discredit you in any way tod071. I only want the facts to be stated and not have people believe false opinions.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-23-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-23-08, 09:03 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Go ahead and wash your car, clay, polish, then "protect" it with UQD. Now THATS a false opinion.

I think you might want to read and comprehend what a Quick Detailer really is. Yes, it
remove loose contaminants, dust and grime
which is what a QD is. Is it a cleaner? NO, if your car is dirty, wash it.

enhances wax protection...adds additional protection to your finish
operative words here are "enhances" and "adds ADDITIONAL". rfx45 wanted a "simple" answer. If you want to get technical and test my knowledge, that's fine. You're not discrediting me in any way. I use the stuff I talk about. UQD is designed to molecularly bond to pre-existing protection. It increases the strength of the wax/sealant's molecular structure and "enhances and adds additional protection".

Again, does it protect? NO. It enhances your existing protection and ADDS addtional protection to your already protected paint surface.
Old 01-23-08, 02:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Go ahead and wash your car, clay, polish, then "protect" it with UQD. Now THATS a false opinion.

I think you might want to read and comprehend what a Quick Detailer really is. Yes, it which is what a QD is. Is it a cleaner? NO, if your car is dirty, wash it.

operative words here are "enhances" and "adds ADDITIONAL". rfx45 wanted a "simple" answer. If you want to get technical and test my knowledge, that's fine. You're not discrediting me in any way. I use the stuff I talk about. UQD is designed to molecularly bond to pre-existing protection. It increases the strength of the wax/sealant's molecular structure and "enhances and adds additional protection".

Again, does it protect? NO. It enhances your existing protection and ADDS addtional protection to your already protected paint surface.
Please don't try to put words into my mouth that I never said, I never said it was an LSP. I've been a detailer for over 45 years and retired just last year. I know what a QD is, thank you. However, I think you will agree that this product is not like a traditional QD.

To be clear, rfx45 said:
Originally Posted by rfx45
I see, I thought UQD somewhat protected paint since when it's applied water beads off of it. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it protect paint but I thought that applied a layer of some sort of protection for the water to bead. It sounds good though, does it also help take out some swirl marks or at least prevent some from developing after it is applied?.
To which you replied:
Can you see where your answer may be construed incorrectly in that statement? And now your answer is much more accurate by stating:
...It enhances your existing protection and ADDS addtional protection to your already protected paint surface.
Sounds like a much better answer to the question rx45 was asking, IMHO.

I'm not trying to "test your knowledge" nor draw you out on this forum. I, just like you, want facts to be presented in a manner that doesn't cause people draw the wrong conclusion.

This a very friendly forum and please don't feel like I am picking on you. Don't take this personal. I haven't questioned your skills or knowledge as I pointed out in my earlier post. In fact, I'm sure that this would never be an issue in a face-to-face discussion. Just when on the internet, it is sometimes difficult to make a point without having someone feel offended. No offense intended.

Quick Reply: Ultima Paint Guard Plus?