Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 07:00 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots

What is the easiest way to remove water spots off of the paint and the windows? I am talking about the water spots that dont come off with a general wash or clay bar. Let me know.

thanks
Old 10-09-07, 07:24 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a buffer should take it off but i usually just wet the car and just rub it off with my fingers.
Old 10-09-07, 07:33 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Ya i know a buffer does. But there has to be some safe easy chemical that does. I know what you mean about rubbing them off. I am talking about a different car. This car gets hit by water every morning and the sun bakes the spots right in.
Old 10-09-07, 07:35 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take care of your problem once and get a car cover.. My IS gets hit with a sprinkler every morning but not since I got my car cover.
Old 10-09-07, 07:49 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yep invest in a car cover then, it'll help the paint too.
Old 10-09-07, 08:11 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

haha. Alright you guys thanks but i actually wash cars for money with a friend we kind of have a business... And i need advice on a way to remove them. when somebody asks you to detail a car you have to get rid of the water spots. Once those are gone the clay bar and wax do the rest.
Old 10-10-07, 09:14 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Use a leaf blower. Removes all the water spots and only adds 15 minutes.
Old 10-10-07, 03:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Use a leaf blower. Removes all the water spots and only adds 15 minutes.
Water spots are mineral deposits left on the surface of the paint. They can be dissolved by soaking towels with vinegar and laying them on the paint. If that doesn't remove them check to see that the paint is not already etched. Vinegar will remove the wax or sealant too so you will need to re-wax.

If you are going to detail the car anyway you can remove them with an abrasive polish and a PC or rotary.
Old 10-11-07, 03:56 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

How does a leaf blower help in removing water spots?
Old 10-11-07, 04:54 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by italiandud
How does a leaf blower help in removing water spots?
It doesnt lol, there talking about when you actually wash a car so the water spots dont form when you are talking about water spots that are already on the car and hard to remove.
Old 10-11-07, 05:10 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all, your car's finish has to be in good shape with a minimum of paint oxidation. Like new or recently waxed. A leaf blower packs 220+mph windspeeds, and blows off all the water beads that cause carwashing water spots. If you do use one, make certain it is new, or unwanted residue could damage your finish. I use one all the time - got the idea from Acura forums, and it does a great job. After fifteen minutes of "noisy" use, your car will look showroom ready, albeit with your ears ringing for a while.

Last edited by Johnny; 10-15-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 11:09 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

All-Brite and MX-7 have worked for my business so far. All-Brite is an "acid-like" solvent and MX-7 is a liquid that both work with a little pressure and rubbing.

If you don't have access to these, start with a light polish, then move up to a more aggressive swirl remover or compound after that. Always start with the least aggressive approach when using polishes/compounds.

Good luck
Old 10-13-07, 12:20 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by italiandud
haha. Alright you guys thanks but i actually wash cars for money with a friend we kind of have a business... And i need advice on a way to remove them. when somebody asks you to detail a car you have to get rid of the water spots. Once those are gone the clay bar and wax do the rest.
cmon man if you do this for money you should know how to remove water spots from the car lol a good spray detailer will work in removing spots from windows also i heard of people using denatured alchol although i have never tried this ...hope this helps
Old 10-13-07, 02:01 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Takes a few seconds per window. But don't ever, EVER, use it on the paint.
If it doesn't work, then try soaking it in vinegar first. That almost always works on windows.

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 10-29-07 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-14-07, 10:14 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

just finished detailing my car today had water spots that have been on my hood for the past 2 months I tried Scratch X the stuff is amazing couldn't be more satisfied just need a little elbow grease

Quick Reply: Water Spots