Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

exterior problem...any advice???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 07:15 AM
chilihoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exterior problem...any advice???

Hello,

I bought a 95 SC300 manual 6 months ago. I introduced myself back then. I have an exterior problem.

When I bought the car and brought it home, I noticed there were some scratches and permanent stains left from bird poop. It seems that if you leave bird poop on your car for a long time, it stains the paint. doesn't ruin the color of it but makes it seem like there is a residue of some sort.

just wondering if there are any way for me to get rid of the stains and minor scratches w/o going to a body shop.

i remember my girlfriend had a toyota celica and the paint was dull. so she was informed to use rubbing compound to bring out the shine. she did and the car looked spectacular. day and night.

is that one option for me.

Please help!!!
Old 12-19-06, 06:52 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meguiars scratch x on the bird poop areas.
Old 12-20-06, 06:45 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bird stains are extremely tough to remove because it runs so deep in the paint. I doubt ScratchX will be enough to remove it completely. You'll probably have to use a machine buffer of some sort.
Old 12-20-06, 02:43 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may or may not be able to compound it out, depending on how deep the etching is. You must have enough paint UNDER it to level it with the surrounding paint.

There's no easy way to know if you do, but if you can feel the etching with your fingernail (craters) chances are it's too deep. That said, you can still make it look a bit less obvious in the process.

Best of luck.
Old 12-23-06, 07:32 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried everything on my clients cars for bird droppings and nothing ever works, you can find it slightly but up close its still there. Sap is also hard to get rid of once set into the paint. My advice is always "Don't park at McDonalds anymore." Wet sanding mite work though but definitaly bring it to a professional.