Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 02:52 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

sweetsc4,

There are a number of rims in the classified section that come close to your target price (around $2k for 18's) and are what most here would consider brand name wheels. I would definitely go that route first before buying those ADRs. The resale value on those ADRs will be less than half of what you paid (perhaps $800 or so) versus getting up to $1500 or so back on reselling used quality rims. So instead of losing $1000 for riding on ADRs for awhile, you will only drop about $500 or so to ride on better wheels.
Old 07-29-03, 04:28 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a side onte, I hit a hole in the street with the 17" ADR DTM's, pretty bad, bent the rear suspension arm on the civic, but didn't bend the rim, I thought I had a flat for sure, but it was just fine.
Old 07-29-03, 05:31 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Too bad these wouldn't fit. . . But don't everybody and their chihuahua have these wheels? Why are they so cheap?
Old 07-29-03, 05:35 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

sc check here

http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...threadid=29858
Old 07-29-03, 05:49 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ok guys I have only been on this forum for a couple months and for the most part it has been pretty good except for getting scammed for $2000 but that s another story in itself. Now Manaray I understand you are a dedicated Lexus fanatic and have been here a lot longer than most of us but the crap that comes out of your mouth is disgusting. I personally have Katana wheels cuz I got jacked and wanted something so I decided for now they will do. If this kid wants some ADR's who are you to call him out and talk to him like that. I came from maxima.org and they were full of ignorance and knowitalls which I thought I left behind when I came to a more "classy" sight. From what I am seeing from you I am wrong and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I would never step on toys but sometimes you should learn to keep quiet.
Sorry for the rant but manaray you never seem to impress me. Just relax man it isn't that bad!
Old 07-29-03, 06:37 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sweetsc400
[B...Why are they so cheap? [/B]
My guess would be because the seller wants to bait you into eagerly sending him/her/them your money. Of course I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you'd never see the wheels or your money ever again...
Old 07-29-03, 06:41 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not gonna jump on the fashionable bandwagon, but i am also a believer in quality rims, or anything of decent quality for that manner. but, if you're only able to set aside $1800 and find something that you really like, just pull the trigger on it. i believe the main point is to know what you have, and how they place in the wheel food chain. just don't go around thinking you're wheels are best and be modest about it.

rominl's thread in the GS forum clearly states that he's got fancy mods all over, yet has stock exhausts with new tips. i'm not going to knock him for it, cause he knows where he stands with his exhausts(and AV3s, brakes, second Lexus). not everything in life can be top-notch. some can laugh at your wheels, but maybe you can laugh at the cheap carpentry in their house or the $20 prime rib they think is so tasty. just gotta pick your fights, man
Old 07-29-03, 07:49 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to chime in on this one.....

First- I dont think you should do the ADR's, but thats my opinion. Im not the one that has to pay for them so its really not my call.

Second- I'd never expect someone to spend as much money or time as I have on cars. nor would i suggest spending 4000.00+ for top of the line wheels for a 90 year old Toyota....including mine.

Used rims would be an option...if the price is right. ORRRR, just spend the whole 18huh on the rims and then work tires into the budget down the line a bit.

================================ RANT =========================================

I hear all this talk about "Its a Lexus , not a civic" but this is the biggest 'group buying' board ive ever seen.

How bout not shopping like a civc owner, while dissing them at the same time? If you're gonna be about it......be about it'
================================ RANT OVER=================================

Last edited by DriftGirl; 07-29-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 08:38 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

LexPro - Thanks for that link, I really appreciate it. I'm looking for something with a pretty deep lip, like those ADRs. But those were a very nice looking rim. Thanks again bud.

About those HREs. I'd be surprised if it was a scam. Even if it was, I'm fairly versed in the ebay world. Each auction, as I'm sure you all know, is a legal binding contract. So, assuming those wheels/tires could be bought for that price ($1400), that is a pretty good deal right????and on top of that, a much better rim?

This is a bit off the subject but, I came across a 96 SC300 5speed black on black tonight. I talked to the guy and asked him if he's interested in selling/trading. I left him my number and hope that he calls because I don't think he knows what he has. It was totally stock.

Thanks for those of you who understand where I'm coming from with this whole wheel situation. And I hope not to make any enemies with those whom I haven't met eye to eye throughout this post.

Matt
Old 07-29-03, 08:42 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, if you make enemies because of the type of wheels on your car, the people weren't worth being friends with in the first place. Just materialistic attention *****s. Get that 5 speed, I bet it's pretty in black
Old 07-29-03, 08:51 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

You're right Duquette -

I just want to keep the level of maturity equal to the class of cars at hand. . . and man oh man! I hope to hell to get that 5 speed. My SC4 is a cream puff; a 1 owner from texas with full service records, but you're right, this thing was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I'll let you know if anything comes of it. I'm tryin not to get my hopes up because it would pretty much involve me talking the guy into selling his car. . .
Old 07-29-03, 08:51 PM
lawman
Driver

Matt,

Bro, you got the right attitude. I am glad you are not taking these posts personally, you have a good attitude so I am sure good wheels will come to you. Just more humble thoughts...

About those HREs. I'd be surprised if it was a scam. Even if it was, I'm fairly versed in the ebay world. Each auction, as I'm sure you all know, is a legal binding contract. So, assuming those wheels/tires could be bought for that price ($1400), that is a pretty good deal right????and on top of that, a much better rim?
Don't do it. If its too good to be true... There is also that thing called "breach of contract" Legally binding contract will mean squat when the seller has the $$$ from the buyer from the sale, spent the $$$ and does not have any wheels to begin with and the seller has nothing to pay you back with. One can spend way more $$$ then its worth to show that there was a "legally binding contract" in the first place and still have nothing to show for it. Good wheels (HRE) but the price is pretty low... who knows... Good fat lips come with a price my friend...

also my humble thoughts on this

This is a bit off the subject but, I came across a 96 SC300 5speed black on black tonight. I talked to the guy and asked him if he's interested in selling/trading. I left him my number and hope that he calls because I don't think he knows what he has. It was totally stock.
Get that bad boy!!! 5-speeds are rare...black on black 5-speeds are rare... come join the other fellow five speeds, but then for sure I am not going to let your **** buy some ADRs

again just my humble thoughts...
Old 07-29-03, 09:26 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Lawman - Thanks for the ebay info. I noticed that the seller had no feedback, which isn't good. You're probably right about all of that. And, lol, don't even worry about wheels on that 5 speed. If I somehow got it, I wouldn't mess with that off the bat. Plus it doesn't have the cheezy BBS rims that mine has. I parked next to her in a parking garage. A single tear ran down my cheek. . .
Old 07-30-03, 12:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexis11 - I didn't know I was suppose to impress you. I never said you, or anyone else, had to agree with me but hey, someone asked for an opinion and I gave it. If that makes me a ****, then I guess I'm a ****....but it's funny how there are so many Lexus owners here who say they're broke or their students with no money or whatnot. If you don't have money, then you shouldn't be spending it on luxury items (rims, car mods, etc.) If you can't understand that simple principle, I don't know what to tell you....but that seems to come up a lot here....maybe I'm a **** for saying that but hey, this isn't www.brokeasslexusowners.com. I'm not saying you need to be some snobby *** rich person or anything but jesus christ, why is that I don't see this kind of stuff on other luxury car brand forums? Sorry, I guess I just don't believe that people who are struggling for cash should be fixing up (in terms of modding) their cars! When I was broke (been there most of my life), I drove my car stock....

Like I always say, if you want to **** up your ride, be my guest. I do my best to try to keep people from making mistakes or bad choices but ultimately, it's up to that person to make their own decision. I can not even count how many people have emailed me to tell me "thanks" for pointing things out that have ultimately saved them time/money/grief in the end.

Emerald - The saddest part of the whole GB thing is how many DROPOUTS there are...lots of talk, not a lot of action.

SweetSC400 - If the guy on eBay is willing to get rid of a set of good condition HRE's for $1400, I'd be VERY much inclined to think it's a scam. eBay auctions might be legal contracts, but people scam on eBay ALL THE TIME. Be careful who you buy from. If the deal is just too damn good to be true, it's probably a scam.

On another note, I'm not trying to bash on you or whatnot. My comments are not ment to be directly specifically at you. I'm trying to help you out here.

SDuquette - I agree with your enemies comment...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-30-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-30-03, 02:30 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those HRE deals on eBay are too good to be true.
There are also some Lowenhart on eBay are very cheap(I'm pretty sure those are scams too)

Quick Reply: ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet