Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Rack doesn't respond!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 08:18 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy Tire Rack doesn't respond!

Since this thread is sponsored by Tire Rack, maybe they'll see it and finally get back to me...
Here's my problem....
I bought a set of Pirelli PZero Nero's last Sept. The ride at a minimum was terrible! After 2000 miles, I couldn't take it anymore, so I took my car into a local indie with a Hunter road force balancer. The came back to say 3 out of 4 tires had a flat spot on them and was causing my shimmy. An obvious defect with the tires.
I called TR the next day and spoke with a very personable rep that told me to FAX the following information:
VIN
measure all 4 tire across 3 treads
mileage installed
current mileage
Road force printout
I FAXed the info on Dec 6th. I waited 2 days and have left 3 messages to TR to please call me back. No responses whatsoever.
To be fair, a week after I bought the tires, I saw that they were discounted so I called TR and they refunded the difference. I was really impressed with their initial customer care and I hope that this current issue is only an abberation!
Old 12-13-06, 07:03 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me or email me your order number pls.
Old 12-17-06, 10:18 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Default Tire Rack Update

Hey all, As you can see, Brando at Tire Rack left a message to call him.

I did and he transferred me to Cathy in Customer Service who then told me that they were very sorry about the communication breakdown, and that the rep that originally handled my call will be getting back to me.

There was a message when I got home to let me know that only two replacement tires would be sent out and UPS will be picking up the defective ones sometime after xmas. I called back to ask about the M&B, and she said to FAX the receipt and they will reimburse me.

Oh well, since I have 3 bad tires, this only cures 66% of the issue. I hope that the 2 they ship are OK!!
Live & learn. Not a total solution, but Tire Rack will probably still get my business in the future.
Old 12-18-06, 08:46 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

flat spots are almost never a defect...

were they truly flat spots, or just rough riding tires?

did they tell you the actual measurements on the 9700 or were they just "out of spec" Did they even attempt to match the tire to the wheel? The beauty of that machine is that you can take even marginal tires and make them run smooth with a little match mounting work...

In my 6+ years of tire work, I think I've only really run across about a dozen tires that I couldn't make work with that machine (aside from the really bad alignment or brake lock worn tires)
Old 12-19-06, 10:54 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

These were in fact flat spots (the tech showed me while it was on the balancer) They did rotate the tire(s) to match the wheels, but the result is still a slight out of round condition. It is especially noticeable the first few miles and at around 50 MPH and above.I also notice it on left turns as the RF tire (passenger) is one of the culprits

What's interesting is that the car will alternate from riding with vibration, momentarily smooth and then vibration again on the same road surface. I can only attribute that to a possible syncronization of the tires at certain times.

You're probably right about the tire being rough riding (Pirelli PZero Nero) and I accept that, but there is no way they should bounce on a perfectly smooth road. I also agree that this is probably a rare occurance, but who knows how the tires were stored or how the lot was manufactured.
I suppose what really irks me is that I have a '95 LS also and it drives like a cream puff. No vibration, no shimmy.

I received the new tires last night and hope to get them mounted before the weekend. Will let everyone know how it goes.