Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

your honest (critical) opinions needed ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 01:56 PM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your honest (critical) opinions needed ...

Being in Socal the LIP, LIP, LIP mentallity has been around for awhile. As with all trends, do you guys think that this will eventually fade ? Though I know that people will still rock mad-lipage on the GS (can you say VIP) Do you think that this wheel, with its concave face, will ever take off ? Im sticking my neck out here to get clowned by some, and hopefully praised by others. Dont hold anything back ... Ive already been told that they look like "Daisy's", or like dishes. Once again, be honest, Im ready for it .... I think ??? Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.

If you like them you can check them out @ www.exewheels.com

Thnx,

Yuji

Last edited by yuji's_gs_; 01-23-06 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 02:03 PM
00GS400
Driver School Candidate

I think the wheel is hot, guy.
Old 01-23-06, 02:09 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both look good but I like the konvex better
Old 01-23-06, 02:10 PM
TYPEII
Racer

As long as you like them that's all that matters...As for me I lip Big Lips, just looks more aggressive.
Old 01-23-06, 02:13 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic isnt there for me but I think you are talking about the Koncave. I like it but would rather have a nice lip. That style kind of has the Lambo wheel look on the Diablos.
Old 01-23-06, 02:13 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

red x for me
Old 01-23-06, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i think that's very different and i do see more cars (even jdm) using those kind of wheels. as long as the style is good and it fits your car, AND you like it, that's all it matters
Old 01-23-06, 02:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not for me, personally. Although I prefer lips since they tend to be on multi-piece wheels (which I also prefer), I don' t have a problem with ones that don't have lips. It all depends on the style and objective of the buyer.

Style-wise, this wheel is more in the dislike than like. I don't hate it. Function-wise, I have a BBK so concave faces will reduce (not eliminate) the possibility of larger calipers.

Ultimately, don't get it just to buck the trend. Get it if you like it and if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 01-23-06, 02:30 PM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
personally i think that's very different and i do see more cars (even jdm) using those kind of wheels. as long as the style is good and it fits your car, AND you like it, that's all it matters
Thats what I told my friend. (Hes the one bringing these wheels in) These have been on my car for a few months to promote this line, but I'm afraid that we may have brought these wheels in a little too early. I guess, we'll see.

I have on order a set of DCR Forged LAGUNA SECA wheels with a Gold (TopSecret) center and black chrome outers. 20 x 9.0 and 20 x 10.5. They should be done in a few weeks. Anyways thank you all for your opinions.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

CL is the *****

Yuji
Old 01-24-06, 08:31 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yuji's_gs_
Being in Socal the LIP, LIP, LIP mentallity has been around for awhile. As with all trends, do you guys think that this will eventually fade ? Though I know that people will still rock mad-lipage on the GS (can you say VIP) Do you think that this wheel, with its concave face, will ever take off ? Im sticking my neck out here to get clowned by some, and hopefully praised by others. Dont hold anything back ... Ive already been told that they look like "Daisy's", or like dishes. Once again, be honest, Im ready for it .... I think ??? Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.

Thnx,

Yuji
I have a similiar decision to make for my choice of wheels. One will have lip, one will not. As for the "lip" craze, I know what you are talking about. Even scion owners put rims with mad lips on their ride. I have seen FWD cars imitate the staggered look by decreasing their rear offset, even though the width of the rims are the same. I like the aggressive look of mad lips, but seeing FWD econo boxes sporting rims with lips gives me the impression of "rims with lips" as played out. Because of this, I may purchase the wheels without the lips.
thanks
Old 01-24-06, 10:20 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw the Koncave on John's car over the weekend. The car looks even better in person, and you can actually see that the rear wheels have a more Concave or 'dished' look than the fronts.

I like this look, it makes the wheels appear larger than they really are. Definitely has a VIP look to it, always liked the concave style since I first noticed this look on the OE 19" wheel on the current body style BMW 745i (when it was introduced a few years ago).

My only criticism would be: if they are really meant to be "VIP" or "Executive" style wheels, the wheel widths and offsets could be more aggressive. Many of these guys stretch the tires a bit which helps fender clearance. I would run that 20x9.5 +38 on the front and use a 20x10.5 or 20x11 on the rear if it was available. This would also work on the Big Body Infiniti cars...

Also, 21x9.0 or 21x9.5 & 21x10.5 or 21x11 would be cool sizes.
Attached Thumbnails your honest (critical) opinions needed  ...-lex_sm.jpg  
Old 01-24-06, 11:21 AM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I saw the Koncave on John's car over the weekend. The car looks even better in person, and you can actually see that the rear wheels have a more Concave or 'dished' look than the fronts.

I like this look, it makes the wheels appear larger than they really are. Definitely has a VIP look to it, always liked the concave style since I first noticed this look on the OE 19" wheel on the current body style BMW 745i (when it was introduced a few years ago).

My only criticism would be: if they are really meant to be "VIP" or "Executive" style wheels, the wheel widths and offsets could be more aggressive. Many of these guys stretch the tires a bit which helps fender clearance. I would run that 20x9.5 +38 on the front and use a 20x10.5 or 20x11 on the rear if it was available. This would also work on the Big Body Infiniti cars...

Also, 21x9.0 or 21x9.5 & 21x10.5 or 21x11 would be cool sizes.

Much appreciated on the comments. I will definately let my friend know about the more aggresive fitments.

btw - cant wait to see your GS when its done !!!!
Old 01-24-06, 11:57 AM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

Originally Posted by LGS4
can you post up more pic. of the car? thx.
Here you go, let me know what you think .

Yuji
Old 01-24-06, 03:48 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no lip needed for this look. Very different. I would only change the design, like you mentioned, they look like daisies. Better than looking like pansies.
Old 01-24-06, 04:09 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is regarding wheels but what kind of kit is that??

Quick Reply: your honest (critical) opinions needed ...