Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires: Summer or All Season?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 11:01 AM
dfs1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Tires: Summer or All Season?

Does anyone have experience with both the summer tires and the all season tires which are available as a no-cost option? I've been in one with the summer tires and, frankly, the ride is a little harsh for me, especially on the freeway.

I'm in San Diego, so don't have to worry about snow. I also don't drive my car hard. I like a car that handles well, but I'm usually driving my daughter to and from school or dance class. In other words, I'm not pushing the car's limits, if you know what I mean.

Will I give up any [significant] handling/performance with the all seasons?
How will all seasons change the feel of the ride?

I appreciate any and all input.

Last edited by dfs1; 02-14-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 12:38 PM
Orbie
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the club, I dont have any experience with the all seasons, but let me know how it goes for you if you make the change. I am also in San Diego and have summer tires on my IS..
Old 02-14-04, 01:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: Tires: Summer or All Season?

Originally posted by dfs1
Does anyone have experience with both the summer tires and the all season tires which are available as a no-cost option? I've been in one with the summer tires and, frankly, the ride is a little harsh for me, especially on the freeway.

I'm in San Diego, so don't have to worry about snow. I also don't drive my car hard. I like a car that handles well, but I'm usually driving my daughter to and from school or dance class. In other words, I'm not pushing the car's limits, if you know what I mean.

The summer tires are the Bridgestone Potenza 040 tires. The optional tires are the Michelin Pilot Primacy tires which ride a little smoother than the Potenzas as far as 17's are concerned but not by much. If the ride is harsh, you're probably more better off with the optional 16" wheel/tire combo. Or better yet, go with a V rated tire like the Michelin Pilot XGT V4 which has a more forgiving ride than a Z rated tire.
Old 02-14-04, 05:58 PM
turtleis
Driver School Candidate

My '03 came with 17" all-seasons. They were Bridgestone Potenza RE92's. Absolutely awful tires. The same tires also came with my '94 Mazda MX-6 LS. Not-so-great traction on dry, lousy in the rain (my Mazda used to hydroplan at 40MPH in the rain), and lasted 15K miles with mild driving. I swapped them for a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. Much happier now. Good traction on dry and wet (I live in Seattle). I think the F1's are actually quieter. Rides are about the same. If you want softer ride, you may want to go with 16" rims instead. Also, automatics have softer springs than manual trannies.
Old 02-16-04, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: Tires: Summer or All Season?

Originally posted by dfs1

I'm with you on this one: I've driven IS300's with both types of tires ( I own one with the 16" all-seasons) and, unless you are a serious hard driver chasing the BMW M-guys, you're definitely better off with the Bridgestone Potenza 16" all-seasons. They last longer ( 40-60K on average vs. about 20K for the high-performance 17 inchers) , are cheaper to replace, give more protection to the alloy wheels from pothole impacts, give better rain and winter traction ( probably not a big deal where you live in San Diego) , and definitely ride smoother, although they use the same pressure ( 33 PSI ) as the 17inchers. You WILL give up some ultimate steering response and skidpad figures with the all-seasons but not enough, in my opinion, to justify the other shortcomings of the 17 inchers.