VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Quick AirSuspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 08:15 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick AirSuspension Question

Ok so i dont know a whole lot when it comes to air so let me sum up what im tryin to do. Basically im on BCR coils right now and im pretty low...however i have lots of rubbing and cant go a lot of places which is really starting to get annoying. What i want to try and do is get air only in the front, something like bags over my current coilovers, that i can raise for lets say 30 secs at a time only when i need to like get over speed bumps or getting into driveways etc. What are my options and what am i looking at in terms of price? Is this cheaper than going "full air" or not really? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-11-11, 08:39 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go UAS & piece you together a front only setup or get a front only cup kit,either option will work for what you want to do..
Old 10-11-11, 09:59 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Since you want to leave your coilover springs in, you're going to need a cup system more than an air bag system.
Old 10-11-11, 10:37 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Any idea where u can get a front only cup kit to fit m coils? When I asked mmy local ship about cup kits he didn't know what I was talking about....
Old 10-11-11, 02:08 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Platinum VIp sells a cup kit if I remember correctly,umbrella makes a kit & I think air force makes or made a cup kit, you can also hookup with a vendor who deals with importing parts & get a kit from Japan.

If you want to lose the coil spring up front hit up UAS so they can set you up with the brackets to slide the bag over the coilover.

Personally I'd go with the UAS over the coilover it'll ride great,more adjustabilty & since your only doing the fronts it'll be cheaper since front only cup kits run about 2G's.
Old 10-11-11, 04:58 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

So with the cup kit the bags go oon top of the coil spring where as the other one u mentioned the bags substitute the coil springs?

And 2gs just for front cup kit? the local shop I went to wanted 3000 for full air suspension with digital pages and leveling systems n all that

Last edited by MashinA; 10-11-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 05:40 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MashinA
So with the cup kit the bags go oon top of the coil spring where as the other one u mentioned the bags substitute the coil springs?

And 2gs just for front cup kit? the local shop I went to wanted 3000 for full air suspension with digital pages and leveling systems n all that

Cups go on top of the coil spring,with bags you remove the coil spring & replace it with the bag..
Yeah cups are pretty exspensive compared to bags,I don't know why but they are..

I'd just bag the whole car..
Old 10-11-11, 09:11 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Aite thanks that clears up most of my questions. Also is it true that if ur on bags and something messes up(which happens often from what I've heard) ur pretty much screwed but if ur with the cup kit u can still drive ur car?
Old 10-11-11, 10:19 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by MashinA
Also is it true that if ur on bags and something messes up(which happens often from what I've heard) ur pretty much screwed but if ur with the cup kit u can still drive ur car?
With a properly installed system and quality parts, an air bag system can last for many year with little maintenance. I've been on bags since 2005 and I've only had one fitting go bad on me and it was a very slow leak. Replaced the fitting and it was good to go again. Quality bags are very tough and won't puncture by road debris. Improper installation causes almost all system failures.

Yes, cups will never leave you stranded, but you will still have to limp home since you can't raise it any more. Remember these are 2 pieces of aluminum mated together with some gaskets or o-rings. This is the weak point and where it will likely leak from. It could take month or years, but it could happen. The question is, with a faulty o-ring, will the 2 aluminum cups start rubbing? This is like an engine cylinder wall, so are they still rebuildable if rubbing occurs? It would be very bad it it's not rebuildable right?With UAS as an example, the bags are completely rebuildable and it's not even that expensive.

There's always pro's and con's to everything, just do research and form your own conclusion, then pick what's best.
Old 10-19-11, 11:42 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

so i have this guy selling me a full air ride system professionaly installed for $2000, warranty and all....but what i really want is a cup kit just for the front...which is also $2000 and that is without install, and i have to ship them my coilovers for them to fit the cups....the air sounds really tempting but i just have a feeling i wont like the ride plus that compressor being on all the time must be loud as hell....however i dont know if i can justify spending more on just a cup kit for the front!!!! what to do...
Old 10-20-11, 07:10 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Bro the compressor is not on all the time,somebody is misinforming you..
Old 10-20-11, 08:27 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Bro the compressor is not on all the time,somebody is misinforming you..
Word. A compressor is only on for a maximum of 1-2mins from what I've seen. Personally based on your responses it sounds like bags is a better solution for you than a front cup kit.
Old 10-20-11, 01:27 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you ride slammed all the time bags may not be for you. The bags dont offer the stiff spring rates like actual coil springs do. The bags are a lot softer ride and when slammed low its easier to bottom out because of this. If you dont want/need the adjust ability of bags get the cups.
Old 10-20-11, 03:01 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Yea i wanna be ableto ride low all the time and only raise it when an obstacle comes up. Anothrr thing is this system was installed on a members ride and he returned it bexausr it was too bouncy and didnt handle well...
Old 10-20-11, 09:45 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
If you ride slammed all the time bags may not be for you. The bags dont offer the stiff spring rates like actual coil springs do. The bags are a lot softer ride and when slammed low its easier to bottom out because of this. If you dont want/need the adjust ability of bags get the cups.
I'm not disagreeing with you but you can ride just as low properly setup bags.
You can preload the bags the same way you can preload coils,also uas sells a smaller/shorter bag which allows you to ride low with a higher psi =firmer..

I drove my LS slammed on bags in NY streets without a problem & drove looow everyday..

Either way OP the final choice is yours you really can't go wrong with either since they both get the job done..

Quick Reply: Quick AirSuspension Question