VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 05:54 PM
LexFather

Quite frankly, I don't think VIP really made it to the states. VIP in Japan is damn near a culture/life thing as well as the car.

We should maybe re-name it here something like VIP-M (VIP-Modified) or something.

Its nothing new. Purists for instance, think a Ferrari should NEVER EVER be modified, b/c Enzo made it out the factory how it should. Some of these purists hate any mods made to cars and are vocal about it. Some don't even think new Ferrari's are Ferraris.

You got the Porsche Air-Cooled guys who think the newer water-cooled Porsches lack "soul".

You got the older Mercedes Owners who think their cars are TRUE Benzes and not the Daimhler owned ones.

So its not just VIP.

Heck, you got some Lexus owners who think dropping or modding a Lexus is stupid b/c "they are not sports cars" and they are meant to be comfy.

I will say one last thing, just b/c someone writes and the article is published, does not mean the person knows what they are talking about. Sometimes you have to e-mail the writer and educate them.

We have to make an effort to teach people about what we love, no matter Lexus, VIP, etc and inform those that might not know. We have to make an effort to no just bash people and flame people and become *******s b/c we "think" we know something.

Bill Gates might post "yall ain't VIP" lol...
Old 11-29-07, 04:10 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I couldnt help myself, so I fired the first shot at Import tuner in their forums. Not encouraging cross-forum heat here, but people need to know whats up.http://forums.importtuner.com/70/648...s13/index.html
Old 11-30-07, 05:04 AM
Balling
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
OMG that S13 has a table! That MUST be VIP!

(- -)凸

PS: The R32 looks like every other car at the touge in Japan...Not VIP, but do like the VIP inspired look.
Its not even VIp inspired!!!!

Its got some random aero, with some VS-KFs, which are a hella cheap excuse for a VIP wheel.
Old 12-01-07, 04:01 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like amateur hour at import tuner and modified mag.
Old 12-01-07, 06:09 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

VIP Platform
VIP Styled
VIP Inspired
VIP Culture
VIP Car
VIP Trend

......now I understand why there is confusion.....

Add to that, the Japanese emulating and embracing the DUB style and including some of the styling cues originating from that style. The lines are being blurred and it's hard to even grasp all the various nuances even with VIP veterans. Will VIP "die" here in the USA.....I'm not sure how "alive" it is now, and in what form it's living in. Here in my area, I can drive for days up and down my regular route and see no VIP cars (whatever flavor above) at all. “VIP” is falling into the same category as “JDM”, it’s just going through a much faster maturation process. What I think a lot of people don’t realize is that VIP in Japan is a full culture, not just modding cars. Also, out of all the true VIP “platforms” in Japan, only a handful ever made it over here to the US. So by default, we have fewer VIP platform cars to begin with. With this in mind, take it from the manufacturer side. They have to somehow expand the demographics for their products with fewer platforms available…..which sorta explains the expansion of the VIP style to other platforms. All in all, it’s a matter of numbers and the bottom line.

So, where do we go from here? No one person or even group of people will be able to influence or “right the ship”. Just mod your car the way that makes you happy….that’s what’s important, isn’t it?

http://www.highsocietyvip.com/vipstyle.html

Different forum…

http://hincity.com/blogs/entry.asp?b...9C7X6E0KC7Y6WB
Old 12-01-07, 10:39 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by MrMark
They have to somehow expand the demographics for their products with fewer platforms available…..which sorta explains the expansion of the VIP style to other platforms. All in all, it’s a matter of numbers and the bottom line.
I'm just curious to which group of individuals you are talking about when you mentioned "they".

So, where do we go from here? No one person or even group of people will be able to influence or “right the ship”. Just mod your car the way that makes you happy….that’s what’s important, isn’t it?
Let just say a person that didn't know about VIP picked up one of these magazines. Then he reads those articles and then he says "ah, so that's what VIP is all about". IMO, this medium still reaches more enthusiast than the internet and has more power to unfluence the buying public. No one person or group can compete with that.
Old 12-01-07, 10:44 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To many Chiefs, not enough Indians in here...
Old 12-01-07, 11:13 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
I'm just curious to which group of individuals you are talking about when you mentioned "they".

If you read the sentence prior, you would know who "they" are. They are the manufacturers.... That's who I'm referring to when I say "they" ....

So by default, we have fewer VIP platform cars to begin with. With this in mind, take it from the manufacturer side. They have to somehow expand the demographics for their products with fewer platforms available…..

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Let just say a person that didn't know about VIP picked up one of these magazines. Then he reads those articles and then he says "ah, so that's what VIP is all about". IMO, this medium still reaches more enthusiast than the internet and has more power to unfluence the buying public. No one person or group can compete with that.

And how do you control each and every article that comes out in all the magazines????
Old 12-01-07, 02:03 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

If you read the sentence prior, you would know who "they" are. They are the manufacturers.... That's who I'm referring to when I say "they" ....

And how do you control each and every article that comes out in all the magazines????
Gotcha! So it's the manufacturer that wants to expand the market to included all car to be VIP. I guess this would be great for them so they can sell more product.

Who said anything about control, correct information shouldn't be a control issue. But this goes back to who has the most influence to the writer, the manufacturers that pays the bills or those annoying enthusiasts.

We have had this conversation before, and you know what my position is, and theres no need for me to go any futher.
Old 12-08-07, 12:36 PM
LexFather

Okay I just bought the latest Modified Mag b/c there is a pic of CarbonGS in there at NOPI.

They are killing the word VIP. I read a couple articles and cars and it did not match at all.

Yall need to write them a letter!!
Old 12-08-07, 02:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Sadly, the more mainstream the word VIP goes as far as a styling standpoint, the more it will be misunderstood and interpreted.
Old 12-09-07, 08:53 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by emoshun
To many Chiefs, not enough Indians in here...
what exactly does this mean???

The question I have for everyone is, has anyone else been trying to educate these writers on what VIP is and is not?
Old 12-09-07, 10:47 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is, people here have to label everything.

It HAS to be VIP this or that, because, if it's just a clean car, well, there has to be a way he built it.

When you get down to defining VIP platforms, there's only a few.

When you look at a lot of people trying to be vip styled or inspired or knock offs or whatever, theres many.

You can't turn a civic into a vip car. you cant turn a track car (r32) or a sports car into a vip car. only a vip car can be a vip car. people don't understand this, and when the media (themselves misinformed) go out and
write articles full of information that is incorrect, NOT going by what 'we' have set as standards, (that and the million ACTUAL vip companies who cater parts to ONLY certain platforms of cars, not civics, not 240's, not r32's...) who they SHOULD have consulted PRIOR to throwing out garbaged information, (superstreet? started it, well, they had a good start whoever showed off the junction produce cars, that was at least correct) THEN you get all these kids thinking they are vip when they are just ill informed.

What can you do about it? Nothing. Let it go the way it will go. Let it get washed up with knockoffs, and people who will dog your car and try to school you on how you got your vip styling wrong, and that their car is more vip than yours because they have more knickknacks from JP or some axis VIP wheels, and label themselves as vip trendsetters rather than you, who have been there since the beginning, or have been there long enough to know that they are just a melting pot of crap infested ebay parts, and just leave them be.

The trend followers will come and go.

The thing is, with vipcars, there are no competitions, there are no races, there are no judges. There are just cars, and people who build these cars because they like the look. We don't go fast, we can be loud or quiet. We can be gaudy and tasteful at the same time. We don't need to prove ourselves with the hot new jdm parts. We don't need to show off how fast our car is, or how well we can control our car.

This is a trend, that doesn't require driving skill, it's all about hard parking.

It's all about how nice your car looks, rather than what it can do.

Media will wash it up, but you'll always be able to tell a true vipcar, rather than some washed out knocked off one.

Again, only certain cars can pull off the look. That's what will keep it unique.

Only certain styles can be incorporated. You HAVE to have those low offsets, fender modifications, and stance correct. If you don't you haven't been in the game long enough.

That's where the media will go wrong. They will classify everything they think is vip, without really knowing. They will just wash it out with crap, and people will leave the trend alone after a while, because even though anyone can do it, it's not something everyone can do.

It's JUST vip, nothing else. I don't think the media will harm it as much as people are thinking.

People come to the site im not allowed to name all the time and ask if they can be vip with their car. We kindly tell them yes or no. Most will register, post once or twice, and leave. Some come back with the 'correct' car. Some try to find excuses for using their car that they currently have and try to incorporate the style. You don't see them lasting for long. Some hang on, and we wait to see what will happen with their cars. Some, who don't have the right platform, have pulled it off very well. Others, can't and keep trying.

Media can't stop us from knowing what is right. Media can't stop us from buying VIPcar, and VIPstyle, and Sedan meister. Media can't stop us from looking at Japan for what's vip and what's not. Japan has a trend we follow, and people here in America need to understand that that's what they need to be looking at to see if their car can be vip or not.

I say, if you don't see your car in any of those magazines, (constantly, not just once or twice) then you don't belong in vip scene.

(sorry for the long rant)
Old 12-10-07, 06:57 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

very well said. ^^^
Old 12-10-07, 07:52 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ very nice write up ...

although Vip trophies are in the shows though .. so it matters to compete...

Quick Reply: Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?