VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Stretched Tires and Longevity.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 07:03 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that stretch is CRAZY! would a 235/35 on a 10 be considered "conservative" or should I switch to a 245/45
Old 10-17-07, 07:11 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 235/35 on a 10' will expose the lip of the wheel out of the tire. I would still consider it conservative but do it cause you have to. No need to put yourself at risk if you don't need the extra few mm's that you will gain
Old 10-17-07, 07:27 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

with a +17 on the rear, I do need a bit of a stretch...although I'm wondering if I should just do a 245/35 and pull the fender. Being supercharged is a factor as well.
Old 10-17-07, 07:47 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I'm at a +17 on a 10.5 and with 245/35 (pulled the fenders about 5-10mm), I think the 235/35 will be fine on a 10 without pulling the fenders. But if you choose 245s, then a very slight pull might be needed. And if the fenders are shaved, then it's really easy to pull the fenders out. Be very carefull of how much force you use, it's easy to over do it.
Old 10-17-07, 08:09 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

thanks for the info V8 and widebody q. its the pictures widebody posted that got me all stressed out now.
Old 10-17-07, 08:23 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

LOL I hate doing that to people but at the same time, I have to show you both sides of the coin.

The stretch that you listed won't give you any problems if you use the right tire and keep them inflated.
Old 10-17-07, 10:14 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

damn... those tires are scary sight to see!
Old 10-17-07, 10:28 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I'm running the Falken FK452 on my rears right now (waiting for the fronts to come in) I have 18x9 front and rear, with a 225/40/18 on my rears right now, bumped out with a 20mm spacer. It's a conservative stretch but still noticeable. Can't wait until the front tires come in so I can go get a damn alignment...lol.
Old 10-18-07, 11:44 AM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by excluesive
damn... those tires are scary sight to see!
even scarier when the car looses control on the highway. My driving habbits changed drastically. I have my side mirrors pointed to the ground to watch the tires to catch a slow leak before it turns to a blow out. When running such a low profile tire (30 in the back), u don't always realize the tires are low on air.

It was alot of trial and error. Now that I know what works, I shouldnt go through as many tires as I did in about 15 months
Old 10-18-07, 01:46 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its good you ask and show both sides of the coin ...

I am soo conservative on my side walls ..

I have a 265/30 on a 10 but when I get new wheels then I will have to look at all these threads again
Old 10-30-07, 06:08 AM
SC34M3
Advanced

Originally Posted by WidebodyQ
I just posted a personal review on another forum with my experiences with various tire brands. I will copy and paste

Brands I delt with were Toyo, Dunlop, Falken, Nankang, Hankook, Goodyear, Continental and I may be missing a couple but I will give my personal unbiased review based off of my experiences.

Toyo proxy4 tested 6 tires
225/35 on a 20x8.5 and a 245/35/ on a 20x10

They lasted a fairly decent time. Good in the rain and the stretch was a nice / shape. I would say about 8,000 miles before I got my first blow out in the rear then shortly after I got a blow out in the front. I would have to say the sidewalls are very weak since the sizes I have listed are a very conservative stretch. The front wasn't even a noticable stretch. The sidewalls just ripped like 20 inches on each blowout. I dont recomend

Goodyear (don't remember the model) tested 1 tire
245/35/19 on a 11.5' wide wheel

Lasted me about 8,000 miles. No real problems just that the tire looked really bulky when stretched. It was a rounded look. When the tire blew out, it wasnt that bad, the cut was only about 8 inches long. Pretty strong sidewall. Not bad but you can do better for the price.

Dunlop (don't remember the model) tested 4 tires in total
275/30/19 on a 12' and 245/35/19 on a 11.5

Until recently, this brand was my favorite for many reasons. The tires all lasted over 10,000 miles and only had one blow out. The rip was only like 4 inches. The other tires were replaced due to them not being able to hold the beed any longer. The stretch is rounded but not as bulky as the Goodyear was. Very strong sidewalls and durable tires. Pretty bad in the snow but most people throw their stocks wheels back on anyway. Good in the rain though. I recomend them. This is a closeup of the 275/30/19 with the barrel exposed

Continental
295/30/18 on a 18x12 and on a 18x13(same tire was reused) and 225/40/18 on a 18x9.5 and a 18x11 (same tire was used) two tires total

Nice / shaped stretch. They run alittle bigger then most brands of the same size. Not used long enough to give a real opinion. I had them on for about less then 3k miles with the smaller size rims and about only 5 miles with the larger size. No problems and they handle well in the rain. The sidewalls seem to be strong. I recomend them

Falken 452 Tested 1 tire
225/35 on a 19x11.5- wouldnt fit
235/35 on the same wheel- wouldnt fit
245/35 " " " "

only had it on for about 1 month. Had a blow out. Nice / shaped stretch but the tire was more like a 255/35 then a 245/35. Im not a fan of the tire since I have fit a 225/35 of a different brand on the same wheel. For extreme stretches, stay away but they are good for a more conservative stretch. This is a pic of a 225/35 that wouldnt fit on the 11.5 I couldnt get it to hold air

Nankang NS-ll 265/30/19 on a 19x12' wheel. tested 2 tires

This is the most extreme stretch I ever driven on. One tire only made it a few hours before blowing out. I blame it on the mounter though, he may have put too much air in the tire or may have not balanced it correctly since I was not there when it was put on. (I should of checked the pressure but didnt)
SO far im at 6,000 miles with no problem on the other tire that did not pop. Nice /shaped stretch. Tire runs true to size. Very cheap in price and has a strong sidewall (the pic says other wise but again, most likely the mounters fault since it blew out so quickly) I recomend them.

Hankook 104
235/35/19 on a 19x11.5 and a 275/30/19 on a 19x12 wheel. Tested 3 tires.
So far im at 6,000 miles on these tires with no problems. Nice / shaped stretch. they run true to size. Handle well in the rain. Priced to sell. Strong sidewall. I recomend them.

The three brands that stand out for me are Dunlop, Nankang and Hankook. They have all proven to be durable and handle well in the rain. This was a personal review, I did not test the same amount of tires for each brand nor did I test them in the same exact conditions over the same period of time. Most of the stretches I run are very very extreme even to the standards of the VIP guys in Cali. But this is the tristate and we know our roads are worse so my review might be more helpful for east coast members. IF the tire could last an extreme stretch in NYC then its a good tire IMO.

nice info
Old 10-30-07, 07:58 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll probably get flamed for this but I don't know how anyone could waste money stretching tires when you know that eventually you'll have a problem. Even before a blowout, there are leaks and severe turns can scrape your wheels on the ground. While hanging around the wheel shop, I see many people coming in with problems constantly. Having to have the wheels refurbished, getting new tires, contantly checking for leaks.........I don't get it. A mild stretch looks pretty good. Say a 275 on a 10 inch wheel. Maybe even a 10.5 wheel. But the extreme stuff looks stupid imo and does not belong on a classy car like a Lexus. It's rice. Most importantly, it's not safe and it's a waste of money.

Now I do feel everyone can do what they want and my opinion means little....but it's still my opinion.
Old 10-30-07, 08:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I ran a 235/35/19 Dunlop Sport Maxx on a 9" rim with negative camber it lasted 1K miles with an alignment done about 500 miles in. Before that I had 235/35/19 BFG KDW's on the same wheel and they lasted about 7k with no alignment. The inside actually wore down because of not being aligned. I'm done with Dunlop unless it's normal fittings.
Old 10-30-07, 03:57 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
I'll probably get flamed for this but I don't know how anyone could waste money stretching tires when you know that eventually you'll have a problem. Even before a blowout, there are leaks and severe turns can scrape your wheels on the ground. While hanging around the wheel shop, I see many people coming in with problems constantly. Having to have the wheels refurbished, getting new tires, contantly checking for leaks.........I don't get it. A mild stretch looks pretty good. Say a 275 on a 10 inch wheel. Maybe even a 10.5 wheel. But the extreme stuff looks stupid imo and does not belong on a classy car like a Lexus. It's rice. Most importantly, it's not safe and it's a waste of money.

Now I do feel everyone can do what they want and my opinion means little....but it's still my opinion.
Reggiek, youre right man...we should all stick to the +45 offset and standard staggered setup that CL has provided for us....otherwise we'll all just be "rice"
Old 10-30-07, 06:09 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by reggiek
Have you read the sticky?

Here's a part of it:

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
YOU ARE ON NOTICE that if you participate in these special interest forums with the intent to flame or criticize others, you will have your access to the sub forum removed. When the moderators notice a trend of angry posts by a member, your access will be altered so that you can no longer join the conversation in the special topic areas. You will not be warned or notified other than what you are reading right now. If you rejoin under a new name to continue the argument, you will be permanently banned from the forum under both accounts.

You're here to learn about VIP and VIP lifestyle and ask questions? Good. Love the dubs and the bling? Excellent, we have a new place here for you and like-minded other members where you can discuss them. Want to pick fights and argue with members who are genuinely interested in the topics being discussed? We will ask you to leave.

Quick Reply: Stretched Tires and Longevity.