UX Models (2019-present)

Lexus UX Receives Top Safety Pick

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 12:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts
Default Lexus UX Receives Top Safety Pick

I'm a crash test nerd, have been since I was quite young. Anyway the UX just received its IIHS results. All good across the board. I'll go further than your typical crash test commentary and based on the measurements and data, the UX performs very well. It produces very very low forces on the head in all types of crash including the most punishing small angle crash. VERY low. Lower than Volvo in many cases. The structural performance is pretty good, though not stellar. Though "pretty good" is a high compliment. Enough for a top rating.

It is interesting the related Toyota CH-R does seem to have a bit stronger side structure showing less crush, but both still in the excellent range. The CH-R shows 5mm LESS crush than the UX. This could be due to the UX's weight, resistance to changing direction. I'm not sure. Not a big deal at all, just interesting to note since they're supposed to be the same structure.

In the small overlap crash, the UX performs better than the CH-R, but again, both enough to receive a good rating. The UX receives a good rating in that test on both driver and passenger while the CH-R does good and acceptable respectively.

There's a little too much lower hinge pillar deformation than I'd like to see on the UX tests, even the old CT200h performs superior here. But again, both cars are still in the "good" category.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...ety-pick-award

Moral of the story: the UX does great in all categories. Most cars do today though. So not really a surprise.

The IIHS is currently reassessing their testing procedures. I think there's a recognition that all cars are passing these tests too easily. So they're going to start making the tests more punishing in the future. For example they're likely going to up the weight and speed in their side test sled crash to simulate a broad side high speed crash from a modern day SUV. In my opinion the current side test isn't tough enough. Too little weight and too slow. But that's a topic for another day =)

I can go on forever on these topics, but these are just my observations on this. =)
Old 05-10-19, 03:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Happy to see the top rating!
Old 05-27-19, 05:26 PM
WDynasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

This my first post ever. I am in the market for a subcompact SUV. The Honda HRV performed a bit worse in crash tests than the C-HR and UX200, so I crossed it off my list.

So, does the UX200 offer any safety advantages over the C-HR? Are the safety features any better due to it being a later model than the C-HR?

Thank you.
Old 05-29-19, 03:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

They are both built on the same new GA-C platform and the active and passive safety features are very similar. In short, differences are minor from a safety standpoint.

You'd pick the UX for slightly bigger interior, overall nicer materials, fit, finish and lower NVH. Good luck in your choice