Mark Levinson sound system

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 09:00 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ems09
I’ve noticed that the upper speaker in the driver door next to the handle (and I’m assuming the passenger door as well) barely put out any sound, if at all. Is that normal function? When I put my ear to it, I can’t discern any audio coming from it, and everything seems to be coming from the speakers on the dash. I have sound center/center or just one back. This is the case in both surround and non-surround mode. I imagine the system would sound more full with these speakers outputting meaningful sound. Can anyone else confirm how their system performs in this regard?
I have a different Lexus model, but I assume the ML system is the same, and that should be putting out something. This is what I did to test it out:

Try different songs. Open the door and go out and listen to it as it's easier to differentiate from outside and away from other speakers. Or just put your hand on top of it, should be vibrating. To make sure it's working, swing the sound to the driver side so that side should be blasting all the sound.

Since this is happening to multiple people. might be a systemic problem with some TX.

Old 03-02-24, 09:45 AM
Bluemus
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ems09
I just got a new Lexus TX 350 with the ML sound system, and agree with many of the comments here. I do also think that it sounds much better on Spotify, with both system tuning adjustments and EQ settings. It seems its strength is in its clarity for things like vocals. HD Radio performance isn’t that great.

A couple of questions:

I’ve noticed that the upper speaker in the driver door next to the handle (and I’m assuming the passenger door as well) barely put out any sound, if at all. Is that normal function? When I put my ear to it, I can’t discern any audio coming from it, and everything seems to be coming from the speakers on the dash. I have sound center/center or just one back. This is the case in both surround and non-surround mode. I imagine the system would sound more full with these speakers outputting meaningful sound. Can anyone else confirm how their system performs in this regard?

There is a speaker (or is it a sub?) in the trunk on the left side labeled JBL instead of Mark Levinson. Is that how everyone else’s system is?
My upper side speakers are working. Although, the center seems prioritized.
Old 03-06-24, 02:51 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

interesting video. worth a watch if you are looking for a more in-depth breakdown.
Old 03-06-24, 03:14 PM
Lucasella1315
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

We have a 2018 Lexus IS350 with ML and it sounds amazing. When we ordered the TX luxury we went with the ML system and to be honest it does not sound as good as in our IS. I am kind of disappointed and would have gone with the base sound system had I knew the drop of quality on the Lexus' ML system.
Old 03-07-24, 10:04 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lucasella1315
We have a 2018 Lexus IS350 with ML and it sounds amazing. When we ordered the TX luxury we went with the ML system and to be honest it does not sound as good as in our IS. I am kind of disappointed and would have gone with the base sound system had I knew the drop of quality on the Lexus' ML system.
while I understand where you are coming from because you have had better systems with ML branding in the past I still think it is pretty damn good. I also have noticed it is nearly impossible to find a luxury trim TX without the ML system and these cars are not really orderable so you kind of have to take what you can get.
Old 03-07-24, 10:06 AM
zorax2
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just returned from a 1,000+ mile road trip and must say I've become much more disappointed with the ML system. Great clarity but trying to adjust everything to enhance the bass just ends up wrecking everything else and the sound is just too bright for me.

At high volume levels, the sound quality improves at the expense of not being able to have a conversation in the car.

I had the ML system in my LS460L and my 2021 RX450h - both fabulous. I love the clarity and bass in my RX450h. It does not require a high volume to perform well and always seems to have the appropriate amount of mid-bass "punch".

I'm very disappointed and haven't come across a decent way to add or replace the subwoofer. Even if you can do that, you still need to integrate a new subwoofer which isn't easy.

What a shame to have crapped the bed on what should have been a fabulous system.
Old 03-07-24, 11:08 AM
G30540i
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zorax2
I just returned from a 1,000+ mile road trip and must say I've become much more disappointed with the ML system. Great clarity but trying to adjust everything to enhance the bass just ends up wrecking everything else and the sound is just too bright for me.

At high volume levels, the sound quality improves at the expense of not being able to have a conversation in the car.

I had the ML system in my LS460L and my 2021 RX450h - both fabulous. I love the clarity and bass in my RX450h. It does not require a high volume to perform well and always seems to have the appropriate amount of mid-bass "punch".

I'm very disappointed and haven't come across a decent way to add or replace the subwoofer. Even if you can do that, you still need to integrate a new subwoofer which isn't easy.

What a shame to have crapped the bed on what should have been a fabulous system.
Glad I found this thread as I'm looking at a TX500 to replace my wife's unreliable X5. I noticed right away my wife's mid grade Harmon Kardon on her X5 is superior to the TX500 ML system that we tried during the test drive. I was very surprised as usually ML is at the level or better than the higher end BMW B&W systems. It was very tinny sounding and reminded me of the crappy base X5 system
All the manufacturers are doing this. BMW guilty of doing the same on their latest models by dropping the B&W quality down to HK and the HK is now just as bad as the prior gen base systems on the latest 5 series. I'm sad that Lexus is doing the same

Last edited by G30540i; 03-07-24 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zorax2 (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 12:04 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by G30540i
Glad I found this thread as I'm looking at a TX500 to replace my wife's unreliable X5. I noticed right away my wife's mid grade Harmon Kardon on her X5 is superior to the TX500 ML system that we tried during the test drive. I was very surprised as usually ML is at the level or better than the higher end BMW B&W systems. It was very tinny sounding and reminded me of the crappy base X5 system
All the manufacturers are doing this. BMW guilty of doing the same on their latest models by dropping the B&W quality down to HK and the HK is now just as bad as the prior gen base systems on the latest 5 series. I'm sad that Lexus is doing the same
don't want to hijack this thread, but what was going on with your wife's X5 that led you to look to replace it in terms of it being "unreliable"? I had some similar qualms coming from a Q7...
Old 03-07-24, 01:30 PM
G30540i
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
don't want to hijack this thread, but what was going on with your wife's X5 that led you to look to replace it in terms of it being "unreliable"? I had some similar qualms coming from a Q7...
Plastic oil pump on B58 went bad. $3000+ repair. 2020 and newer have metal oil pumps now. BMW cheaped out and went with their typical "willbreak" brittle plastic with the 2019 X5's (other B58's are also now being affected as the 3 series guys are now coming up with the same failure) on such a critical engine component. Many G05 X5's of our vintage are also now getting AC evaporator leaks that require the whole dashboard removed which escalates to the $6000-7000 price range.
Old 03-07-24, 07:27 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by G30540i
Plastic oil pump on B58 went bad. $3000+ repair. 2020 and newer have metal oil pumps now. BMW cheaped out and went with their typical "willbreak" brittle plastic with the 2019 X5's (other B58's are also now being affected as the 3 series guys are now coming up with the same failure) on such a critical engine component. Many G05 X5's of our vintage are also now getting AC evaporator leaks that require the whole dashboard removed which escalates to the $6000-7000 price range.
that’s pretty rough, don’t blame you. Q7 has its fair share of large common issues as well. A dash removal sounds like a nightmare. I had the entire interior pulled seats carpets and all for a main power harness replacement in mine. What a mess…
Old 03-15-24, 12:40 PM
sseeaan
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 2016 IS300 without ML system. And the sound is amazing and definitely one of the best car audio systems I've ever tried. But the ML system on my new TX350 is so different. My feeling is the similar to most people - less bass, lack of surrounding feeling... I'm now using Sportify equlizer to make the bass sounds better and lower the mid a little bit. It's much better I have to say, and I feel I'm getting used to the sound system.
Old 03-16-24, 02:08 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got the the sub and amp installed and im really happy with it. I went with an 8" kicker sub in the stock box and the bass is there when the volumes low now and when turned up it hits really hard for using the stock box. There is a lot of rattling when the bass is turned up too much but at about mid level its pretty rattle free and hitting harder than I wouldve expected. All in with install, sub and amp it cost me $550 Canadian and it was worth every penny.
Rancherman (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 02:05 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kicker sub and amp add to ML TX stereo

Originally Posted by stunt66
Finally got the the sub and amp installed and im really happy with it. I went with an 8" kicker sub in the stock box and the bass is there when the volumes low now and when turned up it hits really hard for using the stock box. There is a lot of rattling when the bass is turned up too much but at about mid level it’s pretty rattle free and hitting harder than I wouldve expected. All in with install, sub and amp it cost me $550 Canadian and it was worth every penny.
that’s great news. Any chance getting more details on the parts? Is the amp just for the sub? Is the Stock box a kicker part or is it the box in the back and you used that real estate? Thanks!
Old 03-20-24, 09:36 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancherman
that’s great news. Any chance getting more details on the parts? Is the amp just for the sub? Is the Stock box a kicker part or is it the box in the back and you used that real estate? Thanks!
Yep, links attached. The amp is needed to power the sub and its super small so it was mounted underneath the spare tire area. The ML system has a stock 8" sub with a plastic box located on the driver side in the trunk, I just took the stock sub out and put the new one in the stock box. I dont have much info in regards to the wiring because I had it done at a shop. The nice thing about the amp I used is it comes with one of those bass controller things that we had mounted under the steering wheel so you can adjust the bass level.

https://www.kicker.com/50CWCD84

https://vibeaudio.co.uk/product/powerbox400-1m-v7

Stock sub compared to kicker

Last edited by stunt66; 03-20-24 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stunt66:
DKeezer (04-02-24), Rancherman (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 07:55 PM
Rancherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks. I appreciate it!!!
stunt66 (04-24-24)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson sound system