Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 07:25 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration

This isn't my Lexus, but my dad's RDX. I'm not active on any other car forums since I only drive a Lexus but just want to get some help/advice here anyways since I love the place so much

On the RDX are steel wheels wrapped in snow tires

While turning right at an intersection, he curbed the driver's front wheel on a curb (there's an island separating right turn lane and straight lane, that's why it's driver's side wheel when turning right)

He was going down the straight (also down hill) at about 70-80 kph (43-50mph) before the turn, however it was dark and with snow and stuff at the sides, he couldn't see the curb early enough to turn away from it. He did brake, I'd assume he hit the curb at about 60% of the speed he was going at before the hit, maybe about 30mph-ish.

The driver's side front steel wheel has a dent. Not noticeable by the eye unless you look VERY closely. However when you run your finger around the wheel by the lip, you can feel that specific area dents in more.

Now when going about 90kph+ (about 55mph+), there is vibration in steering wheel.

I'm not an expert at this but I believe maybe two possibilities
1) alignment
2) wheel balancing

However, aside from that, anything I should be worried about with the axle or suspension? (control arms, wheel bearing, bushings, etc.?)

I took some pics, but it's night time so not very clear.

The first pic is pretty much looking at the wheel straight. Hard to notice anything. You can see the part by the arrow is more black/clean because I kept rubbing it with my finger to feel the dent

In the second and third pics, which are on an angle, you can see the dent more. It doesn't seem horrible.

Thanks a lot for any input!
Attached Thumbnails Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1104.jpg   Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1105.jpg   Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1108.jpg  

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-21-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 07:57 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Default Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration

Getting no love in the wheel forum...going to try out here as usual...........

-----------------------

This isn't my Lexus, but my dad's RDX. I'm not active on any other car forums since I only drive a Lexus but just want to get some help/advice here anyways since you guys are so nice :P

On the RDX are steel wheels wrapped in snow tires

While turning right at an intersection, he curbed the driver's front wheel on a curb (there's an island separating right turn lane and straight lane, that's why it's driver's side wheel when turning right)

He was going down the straight (also down hill) at about 70-80 kph (43-50mph) before the turn, however it was dark and with snow and stuff at the sides, he couldn't see the curb early enough to turn away from it. He did brake, I'd assume he hit the curb at about 60% of the speed he was going at before the hit, maybe about 30mph-ish.

The driver's side front steel wheel has a dent. Not noticeable by the eye unless you look VERY closely. However when you run your finger around the wheel by the lip, you can feel that specific area dents in more.

Now when going about 90kph+ (about 55mph+), there is vibration in steering wheel.

I'm not an expert at this but I believe maybe two possibilities
1) alignment
2) wheel balancing

However, aside from that, anything I should be worried about with the axle or suspension? (control arms, wheel bearing, bushings, etc.?)

I took some pics, but it's night time so not very clear.

The first pic is pretty much looking at the wheel straight. Hard to notice anything. You can see the part by the arrow is more black/clean because I kept rubbing it with my finger to feel the dent

In the second and third pics, which are on an angle, you can see the dent more. It doesn't seem horrible.

Thanks a lot for any input!
Attached Thumbnails Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1104.jpg   Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1105.jpg   Curbed a wheel...now experience vibration-img_1108.jpg  
Old 01-21-13, 08:00 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it's an alignment problem. If not, I would rebalance the wheel.
Old 01-21-13, 08:01 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
I would think it's an alignment problem. If not, I would rebalance the wheel.
Yeah those are the simplest explanations, but I'm worried if there's also something serious with the suspension...trying to get a time in for service for this saturday to get it checked out...
Old 01-21-13, 08:28 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If there are no steering issues (ie. drifts to one side, uses more force to turn, leaking steering fluid) and there are no clanking sounds from underneath (like something is loose = torn bushings), then it's most likely your wheel is out of round. Go get it checked on a lift have a mechanic look underneath regardless.

Balancing the wheel may help minimize it, but the real solution is to either buy a new wheel, or go find a wheel repair shop that can repair the wheel and eliminate the bend. You're also lucky that they were steel wheels, there doesn't appear to be any cracks in the material.
Old 01-21-13, 09:20 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Uda880
If there are no steering issues (ie. drifts to one side, uses more force to turn, leaking steering fluid) and there are no clanking sounds from underneath (like something is loose = torn bushings), then it's most likely your wheel is out of round. Go get it checked on a lift have a mechanic look underneath regardless.

Balancing the wheel may help minimize it, but the real solution is to either buy a new wheel, or go find a wheel repair shop that can repair the wheel and eliminate the bend. You're also lucky that they were steel wheels, there doesn't appear to be any cracks in the material.
I'm going to drive it myself this week and see how it is
Yeah, steel wheels in winter FTW.........never need to worry about them lol
Old 01-21-13, 11:25 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

try for simple. then work your way up. how did you curb the wheel/how hard did you hit it? could just be lose? maybe tighten it. dont jump to suspension or arm or ball joints. simple to hard.
Old 01-22-13, 07:15 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope it's not serious like a damaged wheel bearing that would be expensive.
Old 01-22-13, 07:39 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Slight possibility of bending the wheel as well, could cause the vibration, if he was going fast enough to damage it.
Old 01-22-13, 07:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Clean06IS
Slight possibility of bending the wheel as well, could cause the vibration, if he was going fast enough to damage it.
I think its more than a slight possibility, the wheel looks bent to me in some of the pictures (2nd and 3rd). Hard to tell because of the dirt & clean spots though playing tricks but I think this is more bent than curbed.

If it is, that *might* balance out if its not severe but you never know. Check tire pressure for leaks from time to time. Sometimes the bend is on the inside of the wheel as well so if you have the opportunity in the daytime look there too.
Old 01-22-13, 09:32 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Adam350is
try for simple. then work your way up. how did you curb the wheel/how hard did you hit it? could just be lose? maybe tighten it. dont jump to suspension or arm or ball joints. simple to hard.
Thanks. I'll take your advice. Shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast.

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
I hope it's not serious like a damaged wheel bearing that would be expensive.
*fingers crossed*

Originally Posted by 1Clean06IS
In this case, wheels need to be replaced?

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think its more than a slight possibility, the wheel looks bent to me in some of the pictures (2nd and 3rd). Hard to tell because of the dirt & clean spots though playing tricks but I think this is more bent than curbed.

If it is, that *might* balance out if its not severe but you never know. Check tire pressure for leaks from time to time. Sometimes the bend is on the inside of the wheel as well so if you have the opportunity in the daytime look there too.
I'm going to let the mechanic take a look first when I get the service done this saturday. If he says balancing wouldn't fix it then I'll probably try alignment next, and if still doesn't work then new wheel????
Old 01-22-13, 09:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Alignment won't fix a bent wheel. Either balancing or wheel repair (there are probably places local that can straighten it or you can send it off to shops to get done). Or just replace since they are cheap steel wheels - may be cheaper than getting it fixed (usually $100+ per wheel)
Old 01-22-13, 11:17 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Alignment won't fix a bent wheel. Either balancing or wheel repair (there are probably places local that can straighten it or you can send it off to shops to get done). Or just replace since they are cheap steel wheels - may be cheaper than getting it fixed (usually $100+ per wheel)
Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I take it in to get an inspection.
First got to make sure nothing is wrong aside from the wheel itself
Old 01-26-13, 10:19 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Looks like just a bent wheel, a road force balancer can verify the problem though before you start having work done. But 1 new steel wheel and remount the tire he'll walk away from this cheaper than it could have been. I know the feeling, those curbs sneak up on you when they're covered by several inches of snow.
Old 01-30-13, 02:53 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Had it checked out
Brakes seem fine (no vibration when braking)
Suspension was checked and seems fine, no bents or paint cracks
New steel wheel mounted and balanced now no more issue
May get an alignment soon just in case...need one anyways

Thanks yall