GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Cant turn wheel, axel broke maybe? Ball joints just replaced too!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 12:53 AM
danny10989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Cant turn wheel, axel broke maybe? Ball joints just replaced too!

hi everyone! well heres my story, this just happened about 2 hours ago too!

i was driving back to my apartment with some friends on the free way and i hit this giant pothole which i totally didnt see because it was dark and i was driving pretty carelessly trying to get back to the apartment asap.

so as soon as i hit the pot hole my steering wheel came loose kinda and it was turned about 45 degrees to the left but the car was still moving straight. i was kinda scared but it was driving fine still so i continued on driving with the steering wheel completely outta place. hoping i can fix it by just an alignment the next day.

wheel as soon as i got off the freeway i continued to drive fine until i had to make a 90 degree right turn and the wheel just completely stopped moving. the steering wheel became loose as if it couldnt control the left front wheel.
now i cant turn the front left wheel at all. when i turn the right wheel turns but not the left. so the car right now is parked on the street waiting for a tow tommorow.

im not sure what the problem is exactly. my friend thinks its the axel and another guy thinks its my suspension, but when i drove it on the street to park it was grinding on something and we coudlnt see because of the dark.
note that i also changed my lower ball joints about a month ago too so i dont know if thats the case or maybe the people installed it wrong?

what do you guys think it is and what should i do? if it is the ball joints wouldnt the shop that did it be the ones who pay for the damages and even potentially more since it could of gotten really bad on the free way. thank god my friends and i were safe and unharmed.

any input is greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 03-09-09, 01:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Its not the balljoint. Its probably the tie rod. They're about $90/pair. Get them installed before getting an alignment Our cars dont have front axles.

If it was your balljoint, your car wouldn't be able to move because the wheel would be saying Hi to your fender.
Old 03-09-09, 09:22 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Its not the balljoint. Its probably the tie rod. They're about $90/pair. Get them installed before getting an alignment Our cars dont have front axles.
If it was your balljoint, your car wouldn't be able to move because the wheel would be saying Hi to your fender.
nice to know that...im glad that I already replaced the ball joint and the tie rods at the same time last week .

Andy
Old 03-09-09, 10:13 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might be a good time to get on your hands and knees and give it a look. The damage should be pretty obvious once you lay your eyes on the area. If its the tie rods, it will be handing because it is broken, or it will be majorly bent. ***** joints like GSteg said is unlikely because your fender would be resting on the tire itself if it snapped. Either way, if you take a look you should be able to see the damage.
Old 03-09-09, 02:48 PM
danny10989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody know if insurance might cover this? i did yahoo answers and some people said it is considered collision and if i have that coverage i should be fine. any can confirm this?
Old 03-09-09, 05:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I'm not insurance expert, but I dont think they cover these kinds of expense. Is it worth the hassle to save $90 (if it ends up to be tie rods).
Old 03-09-09, 06:15 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a pothole, you usually have to deal with the City and file a complaint.. most people don't go that far and just pay for the damage themselves unless it's very severe... but then again, most people just may break the tires... I broke 2 OEM rims though.... but I just replaced the rims since they are snow sets anyways....
Old 03-09-09, 07:52 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GSteg, who can I contact to get those tie rods? I have to replace mine before I get an alignment soon.
Old 03-09-09, 07:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Any lexus dealer should have it. If they are a rip off, contact sewell. They may have the best rate since they offer CL discount.
Old 03-09-09, 08:42 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you, sir. You have always been a great help.
Old 03-10-09, 12:52 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to make sure if the tie rod actually broke or if it just wasn't properly tightened when the LCA's were put back in with new ball joints.
Old 03-10-09, 01:06 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude its your TIE rods, Sure you got them replaced last week, BUT!..... how good of a job did the shop do, take it back to those guys, only speaking from Experience !
Old 03-10-09, 01:27 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

Mine already do that and my balljoints work.
Old 03-10-09, 07:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Agreed. Tie rods.
Old 03-11-09, 07:16 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Mine already do that and my balljoints work.
Ha ha ha! Nice!

Quick Reply: Help! Cant turn wheel, axel broke maybe? Ball joints just replaced too!