Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

anyone have experience with "SLIME" or similar products?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 10:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default anyone have experience with "SLIME" or similar products?

considering ditching the runflats on my Mini Cooper S and getting standard tires then something like....

Continental ContiComfortKit

or

anyone have a good experience with this stuff...?

prices go from from $18~up

so how is the Continental $79 kit better than the $18 kit?
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40003-Sm...3598054&sr=1-6

....and will these foul the TPMS? some say yes, some say no

from the SLiME website...

My vehicle has a TPMS device; can I use SLiME?

TPMS STATEMENT OF COMPATIBILITY

As leaders in the tire care and repair industry, Accessories Marketing, Incorporated (AMI), the manufacturers of SLiME Tire Sealant wish to address the mandate set forth in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, passed in the fall of 2000. In response to this mandate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that requires the installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) to all vehicles by September 1, 2007.

From our findings, and after significant dialog with the leading manufacturers of TPMS devices, SLiME Tire Sealant will not damage TPMS devices. We understand TPMS manufacturers have conducted extensive testing to ensure their sensors remain operational after exposure to any chemical fluids that might come into contact with the sensors. This includes after market products, such as SLiME Tire Sealant. AMI has also conducted independent testing, which supports and verifies SLiME Tire Sealant’s compatibility with TPMS devices.

Currently, there are two types of TPMS devices available: Direct and Indirect. SLiME Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems. However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor TEMPORARILY inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because SLiME is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal.

Please note that SLiME is recommended as a REPAIR for all Over the Road (OTR) applications.

EDIT: feel free to move it to TIRES/WHEELS/BRAKES forum, thought it would get more hits here.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-11-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 11:06 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a bottle and an air compressor with me when towing anything. Stuff makes a mess but when you’re in a pinch it works awesome, also rather nice to take care of minor leaks. I use it often on ATV’s, Bikes etc as well.
Old 05-11-10, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Depending on how thick the fluid (and comparable tire-sealant) is and how evenly it accumulates inside the tire, it might (?) throw the tire/wheel combo off balance for a while and give you a shimmy until it is cleaned out and the permanent repair (or tire replacement) is done. And, of course, with a radial tire, any cut/puncture or other tire damage on the sidewall above the tread line cannot be repaired.....the tire has to be trashed.

I just keep a $20-30 Interdynamics electric air-compressor in my trunk (they plug into the cigarette-lighter or power-plug), without any fluid. Unless you are way out in an isolated rural area, far from the nearest tire shop or repair station, the air-compressor should keep the tire full enough to get it to a shop.
Old 05-11-10, 02:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a mini compressor and a bottle of slime to help out in case of a flat. Not a bad idea for the wifes car as well. You married guys should buy a set for your car and wifey's as well
Old 05-11-10, 08:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been using Fix-a-flat & simular cans for 20 years until I bought my IS with TPMS since it may damage TPMS sensor. I love my Craftsman battery powered inflater $45 + battery. 2001 Corvette ZO6 came with fix-a-flat & no spare so it must be decent as a substitute.