Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Which of these Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 11:26 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these Wheel Locks

Hey everyone,

What kind of locks are you guys running? Where did you purchase them?

Any links would be appreciated as I almost stripped a lock (mcgard lock which has a clover pattern) and would like a new brand.

Been looking at the following and can't decide.
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-61631n.html
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-71631n.html
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-61631.html
Thanks
Old 03-16-09, 04:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-71631n.html

trust me, the best wheel lock you are going to find in terms of reliability... it is larger diameter than the others and is almost impossible to strip one... the keys can break, but the keys are replaceable... the third one is the most secure of the gorilla brand as it is completely round along the outside, but they are easier to strip... nothing wrong with the first one, but the smaller diameter means the key is a touch weaker as well...

there are certain wheels that the second one (my recommendation) will not fit - it is relatively large in diameter and this may be a concern... they also offer this wheel lock in an open configuration which may be required with some covered lug wheels as they are somewhat tall as well...
Old 03-16-09, 05:15 PM
Wald GS

Thanks alot for your input, I really appreciate it! Are you currently using the one that you recommending?
Old 03-16-09, 05:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

actually no, I don't use wheel locks...

however, I have dealt with almost every configuration on the planet and these are definitely the style with the fewest problems... the worst are the puzzle looking ones you get at any auto parts store... the mcgards that you have are notorious for cracking the puzzle piece and sometimes the puzzle piece falls out completely...
Old 03-16-09, 05:50 PM
Wald GS

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
actually no, I don't use wheel locks...

however, I have dealt with almost every configuration on the planet and these are definitely the style with the fewest problems... the worst are the puzzle looking ones you get at any auto parts store... the mcgards that you have are notorious for cracking the puzzle piece and sometimes the puzzle piece falls out completely...

Yeah, the mcgard has a puzzle piece that nearly stripped. lol...

I will order the one that you recommended. Last thing, how can I be sure of fitment? I know that I need 12mm x 1.5mm in an acorn style. Is there anything else I need to know? thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-17-09, 05:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Wald GS
Yeah, the mcgard has a puzzle piece that nearly stripped. lol...

I will order the one that you recommended. Last thing, how can I be sure of fitment? I know that I need 12mm x 1.5mm in an acorn style. Is there anything else I need to know? thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it.
not really... if you have normal lugs now (not a small diameter style), then the Gorillas should work just fine... if the lugs are covered by a center cap, I'd get the open ended lock just to be on the safe side clearance wise...