Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Pulling the trigger on new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 06:44 PM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the trigger on new tires

Though my stock summer tires still have good life on them, with winter coming and a nail in a rear tire 3/4 of an inch near the sidewall, I am thinking of replacing at least my rears. I have been looking at Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Anyone have any thoughts on these tires or recommendations on other all season tires? Summer tires are just not practical for me in New Jersey.
Old 12-07-08, 06:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your current tires where not A/S so why go to a A/S tire now? do you run snow tires for the winter??

IMO run the PS2 in the summer and get snow tires and you wont look back!
Old 12-07-08, 06:51 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeh,

Go with the PS2's. The 250 and 350 with different front and rear sizes, offer a limited A/S or snow tire.
Old 12-07-08, 06:59 PM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
your current tires where not A/S so why go to a A/S tire now? do you run snow tires for the winter??

IMO run the PS2 in the summer and get snow tires and you wont look back!
True enough, BUT we are talking a lot of money what with new rims and sensors. I like the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A that came with the car, but I could not make down my driveway with a 1/4 inch of snow, so it is too chancy to stay with a summer tire.
Old 12-07-08, 07:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by isdsms
True enough, BUT we are talking a lot of money what with new rims and sensors. I like the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A that came with the car, but I could not make down my driveway with a 1/4 inch of snow, so it is too chancy to stay with a summer tire.
so why not get some snow tires for ~600$, Blizzak LM-25 are perfect for the IS, and have a good set with sensors now. Summer time comes around find some aftermarket rims and I can send you a link to get all 4 brand new OEM TPMS for 105$ shipped to your door

A/S tires is not the best where you are located. You are compromising in both the winter (extreme) and summer months IMO. I had the Pilot Sport A/S on an Q45 in Chicago and it was good through the summer months for a big car but in the winter it wasnt so great of a tire. Assuming you get winters like we do in your area I will say from personal experience. Not a bad summer tire if you are not looking for the extreme tire/performance but I would say get winter tires. You can always find a set of OEM rims on here used for a lot less also to have 2 sets of rims/tires.
Old 12-08-08, 08:56 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through the same decision process and got A/S tires. For me, personally, I really wish I had made that decision from the start. If you're into driving, big-time, then go for the two sets of wheels.

I started down that path without thinking things through. From the 4,500 miles I spent on them, I absolutely loved the ride and feel from the PS2s that came on my car. I didn't want to part with them but with similar winters here in MD as you have in NJ, they're not feasible year round because of the temperatures (I have optional vehicles for actual snow events), so I set off to put together two sets of wheels, keep the PS2s and get A/S tires for cold weather.

Long story short, I ended up with a total of 10 GS 5-spoke rims. AFTER getting the rims, I really started adding things up both cost and hassle--getting TPMS sensors, getting them programmed, storing wheels, switching wheels, and continuing to buy Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s in the future. It occurred to me that I probably wouldn't go out and actively choose PS2s. I just don't "need" them. I like cars, I enjoy driving, but I'm a regular guy who's commuting and doing other "regular" things. I've had a Corvette, an RX7, a Z28 H.O. and not one of them specifically had "summer tires" and I drove them all year-round (to be perfectly honest, in years past, I wasn't really aware that there were summer tires).

I think this is almost a sort of "lifestyle" (at least as far as driving is concerned) choice. So, you CAN afford it, but do your driving habits and everything else, on balance, really call for it? If you're an "extreme" type of driver and fairly discerning and demanding about nuances of the driving experience, then two sets of wheels are probably called for. If not, you've got to ask yourself why you'd go to the expense and effort.
Old 12-08-08, 09:10 AM
isdsms
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I just returned from having the tire patched from the inside instead of plugged. I was assured that the patch would out last the tire and be safe. My tires have a good amount of mileage left and so at this time, my solution works for me. This summer, I will replace all four tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I think for the type of driving that I do, they will give me what I am looking for.