Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tire rack tread depth compared to discount tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 11:20 PM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rack tread depth compared to discount tire

i recently bought some tires... two of the exact same, yokos, same type, and model number... two were from discount tire and the other two were from tire rack... but the ones from tire rack came with 5/32 tread and the ones from discount tire had 7/32... whats the deal with that??

has anyone had something similar to that?

i called tire rack and they couldnt even tell me what the tread should have been...
Old 08-29-07, 11:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hotttoddie
i recently bought some tires... two of the exact same, yokos, same type, and model number... two were from discount tire and the other two were from tire rack... but the ones from tire rack came with 5/32 tread and the ones from discount tire had 7/32... whats the deal with that??

has anyone had something similar to that?

i called tire rack and they couldnt even tell me what the tread should have been...
I think you need to learn how to use a tread depth gauge...

I haven't seen a new tire with less than 9/32" tread except drag radials and track tires... Most tires are between 9 and 11/32 new....

to be specific, I have never seen or heard anything like that, and I've been in the business a very long time...
Old 08-30-07, 12:00 AM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

i didnt take the measurement - discount tire did (and they didnt know the other tires were from tire rack)...

and i actually should say i dont know the exact tread depth... ill have to go look at my paper work from discount tire... but i do know there was atleast a 2/32 difference in tread lower in the tire rack tires...
Old 08-30-07, 12:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hotttoddie
i didnt take the measurement - discount tire did (and they didnt know the other tires were from tire rack)...

and i actually should say i dont know the exact tread depth... ill have to go look at my paper work from discount tire... but i do know there was atleast a 2/32 difference in tread lower in the tire rack tires...
I think you had a rookie doing that measurement....

If I were you, I would find a small piece of plastic or cardboard and stick it down inside the middle most section of tread and mark how deep the tread is... then go to another tire and compare in the same area of tire, just make sure you don't measure on top of a tread wear indicator, this will give you 2/32 less depth (potentially the cause of the discrepancy)
Old 08-30-07, 12:09 AM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

good thought.... ill check it out...
Old 08-31-07, 01:44 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like Mitsuguy has gotten to the bottom of it. I am concerned that whoever you spoke with couldn't tell you the new tread depth. PM me with your order number and I will find out for you. Thanks.