Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

How easy to bend a rim or get a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 07:11 PM
neil0311
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy to bend a rim or get a flat?

I've got an IS250 AWD with 2500 miles, and living in New England, I'm running the stock 17" wheels and OEM Dunlop 225/45R17 all season tires. This is the first time I've had such low profile tires. I've been watching out, but the roads here in the northeast just suck, with ruts, potholes, patches, frost heaves, etc. This year was especially bad because of the constant freeze/thaw cycle.

How easy is it to bend a rim or get a flat from road hazards? The dealer offered a road hazard warranty for $600 but I didn't take it, not realizing how bad the roads are or how exposed low profile tires are, since my last vehicle was an SUV with big fat tires.

How many of you have actually had to replace a wheel or tire due to bad roads? Am I just worrying, given proper caution and avoidance?

EDIT: also do you guys recommend following the Lexus pressure recommendations of 35psi front and 37psi rear, or is it a good idea to add a couple of psi to help protect the rim?

Last edited by neil0311; 05-30-07 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 05:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't know when I did it, but I bent a rim on my 323i a few years ago. I'm running 225/50R16s, which have just a bit more sidewall than your tires. The dealer actually noticed when it was in for service and swapped out the spare for me (luckily was identical to the other 4). I checked it out later, and the dent is HUGE. I have NO idea how that happened, but I'm sure it was due to Chicago potholes.

I wouldn't bump up the pressure, as it'll negatively affect both handling and tire wear. Just be as careful as you can. If you have a fullsize spare on an alloy wheel, you get one freebie before it costs you bigtime, just try to save it as long as possible.
Old 05-31-07, 08:35 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not true... bumping up the psi does help.

NYC has to have by far the worst roads. I'm running 19's 245/35/19 front -275/30/19 rears and i use about 41-42 PSI and that helps tremendously.

Most of the fellas from CL in NYC also bump up the psi like i do and dont have issues.

For the record LExus is very conservative with tire pressure thay want you to have that mushy soft feel.
Old 05-31-07, 09:09 AM
neil0311
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup

NYC has to have by far the worst roads. I'm running 19's 245/35/19 front -275/30/19 rears and i use about 41-42 PSI and that helps tremendously.

Most of the fellas from CL in NYC also bump up the psi like i do and dont have issues.

For the record LExus is very conservative with tire pressure thay want you to have that mushy soft feel.
Yeah, you're not kidding about the roads in NYC. I grew up in Queens and am in the city often and know exactly what you mean. My first car was a '71 Corolla with 13" wheels and man did that puppy take a beating.

Lexus recommends higher psi on the back tires, which makes no sense to me, especially with the AWD. If I bump up to say 40psi, do you recommend front and rear the same, or keep a couple of extra psi in the rear?
Old 05-31-07, 10:24 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup

I'm with stupid oops I was supposed to use the icon to say that right??? You can bump up the psi (all the way around) to give you a bit more protection. Yes it will make your ride a lil more harsh but I'd rather ride 'harshly' longer than 'wobbly' because my tires couldn't handle an unexpected hit.
Old 05-31-07, 10:46 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"but I'm sure it was due to Chicago potholes." Or it might be the huge manhole covers that stick like 8 inches off the ground in some places. I hate driving in that city, I guess any big city where there are seasons is probably bad though.

Bumping up the psi will help a little but lets face it, with low profile tires and wheels there is always a chance of an issue. I guess that's the price we pay to have great looking and performing cars.

When I was in LA last, one of the tour guides commented that there was a pot hole in the road and I looked and it was like maybe the size of a small bowl. I was like, dude thats barely even qualifies!
Old 05-31-07, 10:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Come to Mexico City if you want to see potholes/sinkholes, chewed away speed bumps, roads that have turned into mountain valleys. Several of my neighbors where I live have had such tires/rims get bent/gone flat on repeated occasion. My boss has an Accord V6 that has plugs all over his tires from repeated punctures.

I hear at least one sad story a month at my drag strip about a damaged rim or new tires punctured.
Old 05-31-07, 02:17 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, no doubt I was driving from the CD Mexico to Cuernavaca in the early 90's and there was a huge boulder right in the middle of the road.