Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 11:45 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I think you should go for it Hollywood. When it comes to trying something different, there are always risks. Everyone here has voiced their opinions and it sounds like you have taken all the potential pitfalls into consideration. It may or may not be as straightforward as you expect but once you commit, I would assume you will do what it takes to get it to work. If it ends up not beig such a great idea, we can chalk it up to experience and someone else can also learn from it. If it works, then great for you.

We can all only do what we are comfortable with. We can all talk about numbers until we are blue in the face but unless we have a car with the exact setup as you, with the tires and rims that you have, it will all be hypothetical, no matter how good the guess/calculation is. Everyone has tried to help and now it is down to you to decide yay or nay.

Good luck.
Oh it's too late, I bought the tires a few days ago.... Im in it for the long haul now!

Im actually more worried about the clearence on the inside of the wheel well, due to I have no numbers or experience for the inside fitment. ie: I hope it wont rub on the shock perches over bumps etc..
Old 05-28-06, 04:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Oh it's too late, I bought the tires a few days ago.... Im in it for the long haul now!

Im actually more worried about the clearence on the inside of the wheel well, due to I have no numbers or experience for the inside fitment. ie: I hope it wont rub on the shock perches over bumps etc..

Spring perches aren't a problem, the first area you will hit on 20's is the inner fender well.

Looking at the driver side rear wheel well, it would be the inner well area at the 9 o'clock position.

If your offset is already putting you close to the lip, I'd say on a 10 inch rim there would be atleast an inch of space on the inside remaining.

With my 11 inch rim maxed on the outside, I still have plenty of clearance on the inside.

In the end, there's always a sledgehammer.
Old 05-28-06, 04:45 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Spring perches aren't a problem, the first area you will hit on 20's is the inner fender well.

Looking at the driver side rear wheel well, it would be the inner well area at the 9 o'clock position.

If your offset is already putting you close to the lip, I'd say on a 10 inch rim there would be atleast an inch of space on the inside remaining.

With my 11 inch rim maxed on the outside, I still have plenty of clearance on the inside.

In the end, there's always a sledgehammer.

Good info thanks, 1 less worry.
Old 06-03-06, 09:53 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hollywood,

Take some pics of the install and what mods were necessary. I think it would be a very useful thread in the future if it works out. Good luck buddy! I'm curious to see how it turns out...
Old 06-03-06, 10:11 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Hollywood,

Take some pics of the install and what mods were necessary. I think it would be a very useful thread in the future if it works out. Good luck buddy! I'm curious to see how it turns out...
U bet man.

I forgot to ask, anyone know the offset of the stock Chrome 17" wheel?
Old 06-03-06, 11:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

17x8 +50...
Old 06-14-06, 10:43 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

*UPDATE JUNE 14th*

Install is done. Piece of cake.

Shaved the fenders, still have a tad over 1/4" left of fender. The wheels and tires look bad ***. 295 is huge. Looking from the rear of the car the tires do not stick out from on the sides at all. Tires do not look like they are bulging at all. I actually do not like the stretched look. So if my tires are slightly buldging to an experienced eye then I am happy for that.

I had a good feeling when socal measured his tire and it matched the toyo specifications that by doing just the calculations of the specifications it would fit no problem. I will post pics when I get her all cleaned up this weekend.

Thanks for the support of the members who clearly supported me in this thread. Its a big day for GS's around the world!!!!! Hahahaha, well maybe just 295 big.
Old 06-14-06, 10:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

*UPDATE JUNE 14th*

Shaved the fenders, still have a tad over 1/4" left of fender. The wheels and tires look bad ***. 295 is huge. Looking from the rear of the car the tires do not stick out from on the sides at all. Tires do not look like they are bulging at all. I actually do not like the stretched look. So if my tires are slightly buldging to an experienced eye then I am happy for that.

I had a good feeling when socal measured his tire and it matched the toyo specifications that by doing just the calculations of the specifications it would fit no problem. I will post pics when I get her all cleaned up this weekend.

Thanks for the support of the members who clearly supported me in this thread. Its a big day for GS's around the world!!!!! Hahahaha, well maybe just 295 big.

FINALLY !

Glad it all worked out.

PICS ! PICS ! PICS !
Old 06-15-06, 09:23 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

*UPDATE JUNE 14th*

Nice! congrats.. no rubbing at all?! wow... I WANT PICTURES!
Old 06-15-06, 09:55 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHA. You can't do this and not post pics.
Old 06-15-06, 11:01 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
FINALLY !

Glad it all worked out.

PICS ! PICS ! PICS !
Originally Posted by Neo
HAHA. You can't do this and not post pics.
Hahaha. OK! OK! I will try to speed up the pics, depends on how much overtime I have to work today.

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Nice! congrats.. no rubbing at all?! wow... I WANT PICTURES!
No rubbing at all!! The ride in general is quite smooth, I was totally shocked about the difference from the stock 17's to the 20's, as it does not feel that much harsher to me. The road feel alot different between the two though. It drives smoother, feels more solid from the communication from the wheels to the suspension and chassis, corners better, and it feels more in touch with the road (BMW feeling). I think I might be able to get away with not needing sway bars now.
Old 06-15-06, 04:03 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Glad things worked out for you man, make sure you get those pics up quickly, I'll have the webmaster add them.