Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

So I go to Goodyear this morning

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 05:10 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down So I go to Goodyear this morning

I dropped off my new wheels and tires to have the mount and balance done for when I pick up my brother in law tonight. I came back to pick up the wheels and sure enough when I get home I noticed there were two scratches right on the face of one of the wheels. This is after I told the guy there that they were brand new, and to takek extra special care for me. Each one of the nicks is about the size of a pea. I was so furious I couldn't catch my breath as I was talking to the manager. I took the wheel back and was told that they would ship it off for repair and that I could expect to get it back in about a week. They gave me my tire and the manager seemed to be taking responsibility.

My queston. Is it possible to repair a scratch to brand new condition? The wheels were IS350 18's. Do I have a chance of getting a replacement if the repair isn't possible. I called the local Lexus dealership on the way over to see if they had any in stock. Special order item at 550.00/ea.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry, no pictures. I was too mad. The scratch was through the paint though and into the metal.
Old 04-29-06, 05:16 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Ouch! gl
Old 04-29-06, 07:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn that sucks Andy. what morons I know e-man has had rims refinished from curb rash that he was happy with.
Old 04-29-06, 09:28 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Over here in Cali, we have great wheel professional. they sand, fill, primer and paint and protect. Hope the Rim shop is reputable. Goodluck.
Old 05-01-06, 01:08 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest if they repaint the two wheels....have them do the other 2 as well....most times....it wont match.
Old 05-01-06, 04:50 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
I suggest if they repaint the two wheels....have them do the other 2 as well....most times....it wont match.
The damage was only on one wheel. I hope they do the job right. I'm getting a little concerned about my options if I'm not satisfied. I've been dealing with the manager of the place, and he seems willing to do this much (repair) but if it comes back looking like crap and I want the job redone or the wheel replaced, what are my options when he tells me to pound sand?
I don't like how angry I get when I think or talk about it either. I may need some medication for what this car is doing to me. I feel myself getting fiercely protective like it's one of my kids.
Old 05-01-06, 06:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Manager should take full resposibility and repair what is necessary.. Worse caomes to worse you can always file a small claim if he doesn't replace the wheel..
Old 05-01-06, 01:13 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

keep in mind if you have it repaired, the paint will not match 100%. grey finishes are difficult so i would ask if this repair person ever pained IS350 wheels before.

perhaps they can paint two wheels so when you view it side by side, they will match?

your eyes will tell you if the wheels matches.
Old 05-01-06, 04:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
damn that sucks Andy. what morons I know e-man has had rims refinished from curb rash that he was happy with.
Son of a ______. That's really infuriating. How difficult can it be to freakin' mount a tire on a rim? It's not rocket science, right? I had some rough spots touched up on my 17s about a year and a half ago by a guy my local Lexus dealer recommended. He had a mobile unit, and he worked on the wheels while they were still on the car. His work looked good for a while, but then the work started to rub off.

I see you're from Virginia, and there's a place in Pennsylvania that DaveGS4 has used that supposedly does excellent work. I can't recall the name of the place, but if you were to do a search on Yahoo for "wheel repair pennsylvania" you'd most likely find it. Hold on a second.

I think this is the place: http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html. Dave, this is the place you used, right?

e
Old 05-01-06, 05:54 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

The place the manager said was called Transwheel. I did a search and I guess it's the same as 1800wheels.com or is somehow affiliated with them. Seems like a decent sized operation. I am going to take one of the other wheels up when I pick this one up, and if it doesn't match, I will be asking for another solution. Should I try to contact the regional manager right now, so I'm armed with his contact info when I go in. For the price I bought the wheels, I could replace the one they biffed for probably what he is paying to have it repaired. I doubt if I could find a rear stand alone though.
Old 05-05-06, 08:35 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I just picked up the wheel and transwheel did a great job. I need to mount the wheels to make sure but I can check this off the list, and I'm as satisfied as I could be given the circumstances.
Old 05-05-06, 09:13 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
I just picked up the wheel and transwheel did a great job. I need to mount the wheels to make sure but I can check this off the list, and I'm as satisfied as I could be given the circumstances.
good to hear. I'm curious to see pics.
Old 05-05-06, 09:40 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad this turned out well. I had a wheel shop mess up my iForged center caps so they wrote me a check for the price I paid for my etched center caps. I think the techs just dont care sometimes and are very careless