Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rominil: Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 10:00 PM
Shlinyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rominil: Please help

Hi Rominil,

I was referred to you by one of the fellow members located here in Toronto, Canada.

I read your sticky, very informative. Excellent job!

I know you addressed this in your sticky, but I just want to ask for my piece of mind.

I want to install 20" wheels on my 98 GS 300. The setup I had in mind is:

Wheels
20 x 8.5
32 mm off set
5 x 114.3

Tires
Front: 225/35/20
Rear: 245/35/20

This link provides a pic of the rims:
http://www.adrwheels.com/wheels/?sfID1=12&sfID2=60

The ride is currently bone stock, no suspension or brake upgrades.

Could you tell me, with the current stock suspension, can I install the above wheel & tire package? Are there any issues I need to be aware of?

I'm new to this whole aftermarket scene and any help/advice you can provide would definitely be appreciated.

thanks,
shlinyo
Old 04-26-06, 10:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Shlinyo
Hi Rominil,

I was referred to you by one of the fellow members located here in Toronto, Canada.

I read your sticky, very informative. Excellent job!

I know you addressed this in your sticky, but I just want to ask for my piece of mind.

I want to install 20" wheels on my 98 GS 300. The setup I had in mind is:

Wheels
20 x 8.5
32 mm off set
5 x 114.3

Tires
Front: 225/35/20
Rear: 245/35/20

This link provides a pic of the rims:
http://www.adrwheels.com/wheels/?sfID1=12&sfID2=60

The ride is currently bone stock, no suspension or brake upgrades.

Could you tell me, with the current stock suspension, can I install the above wheel & tire package? Are there any issues I need to be aware of?

I'm new to this whole aftermarket scene and any help/advice you can provide would definitely be appreciated.

thanks,
shlinyo
Welcome to Clublexus. Looks okay to me. I am sure Henry will chime in very soon

He is also going to tell you to drop that GS with some springs/shocks or coilovers to go with your new wheels to complete the look

Do you plan to go big brakes? If you do, make sure your wheels can clear big brakes.
Old 04-26-06, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow damn.... i wonder who referred you, i should open a consulting company

anyway, yes it will fit no problem. the front si pretty close to the fender, on big dip you might rub a little but you should be fine.

on tires though, i would just suggest 245/35/20 all the way around. with the same wheel front and back, i say just the same tire
Old 04-27-06, 09:56 PM
Shlinyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

1sicklex, you mentioned clearance for big brake kit. I would eventually like to do this with a coilover setup (tein and edc). How do I go about ensuring the wheels can accomodate a big brake kit? Should I first do the brake kit, install the coilovers and then go after wheel & tires? This approach seems to be more logical to me, but you guys are obviously more experienced in this than me.

Currently, I'm using my bro's rims (from his Dodge Neon). The rims are universal, they fit onto the GS, but they look tiny. I've got 17's up front (205/35/17) with 18's in the back (215/30/18). I'm riding on all stock suspension. Maybe I should ride on these this summer and get the brake kit and coilovers. Then change up the wheel & tire setup next year.
Old 04-27-06, 10:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Shlinyo
hey guys,

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

1sicklex, you mentioned clearance for big brake kit. I would eventually like to do this with a coilover setup (tein and edc). How do I go about ensuring the wheels can accomodate a big brake kit? Should I first do the brake kit, install the coilovers and then go after wheel & tires? This approach seems to be more logical to me, but you guys are obviously more experienced in this than me.

Currently, I'm using my bro's rims (from his Dodge Neon). The rims are universal, they fit onto the GS, but they look tiny. I've got 17's up front (205/35/17) with 18's in the back (215/30/18). I'm riding on all stock suspension. Maybe I should ride on these this summer and get the brake kit and coilovers. Then change up the wheel & tire setup next year.
1. The Neon wheels not just look small, your have FWD wheels on a RWD car, so they will fit "under" the car, under the fenders more. However, if everything clears, outside of looking odd, it won't hurt the car.
2. You need to decide which BBK (Big brake kit) you want and then we can help or your wheelman can help measure before you buy wheels. Different brake kits need different fitment.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes

For different brake optons for the GS.

3.You will need to add your new wheels right after your BBK b/c they won't fit with the rims your using now. So the main thing is making sure your new wheels will fit the BBK.
Old 04-27-06, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

all bbk are different, but basically you will need to get high disk setup for the front in order to have a chance to clear the calipers. otherwise you are in trouble.

and personally i wouldn't do different diameter wheels front and back, it looks weird