Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Toyo T1rs, Potenza Re030s and other tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 05:30 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Toyo T1rs, Potenza Re030s and other tires?

All,

Once again, I am shopping for tires for my GS400. I don't have much time as I discovered one of my tires is completely bald on the inside edge and has cords exposed. My previous shopping spree, NTB told me I had 4/32s and to continue to use them. That went fast. They are worn evenly except for the inside edges of the right front and left rear tires. The car is all original and has factory 17" rims and 235/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE030.

From my previous posts regarding the same topic, respondents recommended a few all-season tires like the Falken Ziex ZE512s, Pirelli P Nero Zero, Sumitoma HTR+ but I do not know why.

This is my criteria: I am looking for a tire (235/45/17) equal to the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE030 in performance minus the tramlining. I found the RE030s to be geat tire in the dry and wet and fairly quiet. Mine have over 30K on them. If they didn’t tramline and cost so much I would buy another set. Now I don’t need a tire better (grippier) than the RE030s either unless they are reasonably priced, last at least 20-25K and are reasonably quiet and smooth.

I use this car for everyday spirited driving, and like to go around curves and turns kind of fast. I do not race or autocross and rarely drive over 100 mph. I don't think I push these tires to the edge. I do not drive this car in the ice and snow. I will drive it in the cold but the Re030s did fine for me below 40 degrees.

What ever tire I buy I hope will not tramline and will be at least equal in performance to the RE030s.

This is what I am considering and why:

Cooper Zeon 2XS – Team Lexus uses them but several Cooper dealers recommended against them for the GS400 saying they would be ruff riding and want me to buy an all season tire. They do however come with a 30 day ride guaranty. Still, Cooper is not one of the leading tire companies and their dealer are not pushing their 2XS tire.

Pirelli P Nero Zero – a lot of folks recommend this tire. I was going to buy this tire till I saw a few reviews that claim the tire tramlines. I am still considering it as none of the reviewers had them on a GS. Again, I don’t need an all season tire but everyone says it is as good as Ultra High Performance Tire. I met a few GS owners at the EastCoast Lexfest that have and like them but I think all them are running larger than 17s. I am sure that has some influence on the soft sidewall.

Falken Ziex ZE512 – Looks good but Sears told me Sumitomo HTR+ is better.. Consumer Reports likes the ZE512s. Again, all season.

Falken – ST115 Azenis – Looks like a winner for the money but I hear they wear incredibly fast 10K?

Avon Tech M500 – This is tire I would like to buy but am afraid of buying a tire that I can only get at one place; The Tire Rack. If I need to replace one on a trip or something, I have to wait for them to be shipped. No options to get one locally.

Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico – Heard they are good but wear really fast 10K?

Goodyear – F1 GSD3 – I hear it is a good tire but am not a good for a year fan and am afraid they’ll be good for a few months and turn to crap like my previous goodyears.

Toyo T1R or T1S – Actually very interested in this tire(s) and was ready to order them Saturday when 2 different tire dealers insisted that I consider putting the Proxes 4 (all season) on my car. They told me that I will not like the ride of the T1Rs. I asked about the T1S as they are supposed to have a softer sidewall but they told they are discontinued. I am still thinking about trying the T1Rs as there is a 500mile/45 day free trial period. It seems like they compete with the Pilots and S0-3s but are a heck of lot cheaper. Are they smooth and quiet after several thousand miles? Do they tramline? How do they wear?

B.F. Goodrich G Force Sport – Info on them looks good but they supposedly get a little noisy.

I am open to other options and will on consider an all season tire if it handles as well or better than the Bridgestone RE030s but I don't see how that is possible. I don’t need the S0-3s or the Michelin Pilots as I don’t want to pay for them and don’t think I’d push them to their limits and really utilize the tire.

Also, are directional/ V tread patters more likely to cause tramlining? The Tirerack guy I spoke with told me I should stay clear of directional treads and should look for a less precise tire than the RE030s to minimize tramlining. Sound right?

Thanks..

Neil