Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lower offset, more negative camber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 08:04 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lower offset, more negative camber?

I was just reading up about info. on wheel fitment and etc. I know how to fit wheels on my car.. but i'm just curious if this statement is true?

I heard that the lower offset you run, than what was made for that vehicle, the more neg. camber you will have? Is that right?

So that means if I take a stock sc300 wheel 15x6.5 with offset of 50mm and I have the same 15x6.5 wheel with a 15mm offset, I will have neg. camber? OE camber is set at zero, but just by keeping the same wheel, but changing the offset, either with a new wheel or a spacer, wil my camber be affected? No lowering of the car of course.

I don't plan on doing any of the above mentioned, but I just want to know if this info. is correct.. for future references or whatever.
Old 04-10-05, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nononono, you got the information mixed up. let me try to clear up some of them.

first of all, on stock car, the camber settings are NOT zero, in fact it should never be. that's for handling purpose. you want a LITTLE bit of negative camber coz' the car turns and you want the wheels to have negative camber to provide the handling. that's the case even for normal cars, not just peformance cars

second, putting wheels won't change the camber at all (if you don't adjust it). the lower offset you put on, the more the wheel will stick out.

now if the wheel start to get very aggressive (very low offset), and get close to the fender, in order to fit, you will need to ADJUST the camber to more negavtive settings in order to get the wheel to fit without rubbing. putting it more negative will push in the top of the wheel more to fit.

so basically if you put lower offset, at certain point you will need to adjust camber to fit the wheels. putting lower offset wheels wont' automatically change the camber.
Old 04-10-05, 02:39 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

yea thats what i thought, this guy was confusing me.. who i reading info from.

OK, but in order to adjust camber, there is another way to do it besides slamming/lowering my car.. right?

a lot of popel say you can only adjust negative camber further with adjustable control arms

but there are no adjustable control arms made for the SC

so can camber be adjusted negatively when i'm getting my alignment done?
Old 04-10-05, 04:29 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way to adjust camber, caster, toe, etc. is via an alignment. And once you lower your car too much, you will have to purchase a Daizen camber kit from tmengineering to be able to fix the negative camber
Old 04-10-05, 06:07 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

what if i want to keep the negative camber.. but i want more negative camber.

the drop i have doesn't give me the amount of negative camber i want.. so the only way to have MORE negative camber would be to adjust alignment?

how can alignment be adjusted to give me more negative camber?
would a shop that does alignment know how to do this?

to clear my new wheels.. i will be running stretched tires and fenders pulled, but they still won't clear so i need my wheels to be setup as shown below ..

Last edited by newyorksc; 04-10-05 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 06:24 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

K, here is a quote from another forum. Please double check it. Everything sounds good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksc
ahhhh so when i get my alignment done, i can change my camber to as negative as they can do?

Sure, if all you want is looks, go as negative as it will go! If you want performance, make sure to maintain a balance between the front and the rear so the car will still handle. I can recommend my alignment numbers for both road and track.

So does this mean that when i get my alignment done, I can just tell them to set it up negatively as much is at can go negative?
Old 04-10-05, 08:35 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Yes you can get the shop to add more negative camber. How much? I dont know, but Im sure the search button does. Anyway, I think the look such as that in the picture above is hideous, looks like the guy bought wheels for the wrong car and is trying everything to make em fit
Old 04-10-05, 08:55 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

lol

i don't want to take it that far, but the wheels i purchased weren't made for any car, they were just custom offsetted and sized for a custom car.. and i will need to run some neg. camber, but not as exaggerated as shown in the picture

i don't know if you ever saw that drift video that was posted in the SC forum.. it was a long one about 5 minutes.. it had ueno's soarer and about 5 other cars..

well there was a gold topless 240, with ame shallen AX.. his camber setup is nice.. and looking for a setup similar to his.
Old 04-10-05, 09:14 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

take a look at the flick below... with my fenders flipped and rolled.. and wheel mounted.. it will be as shown.. more or less.

i need to run some more negative camber .. to make them fit

Old 04-10-05, 10:42 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

hey, kinda off topic.. but aerostar, did you ever get around to change your transmission mount?
i think you mentioned you were going to do it and it was a cheap fix. i believe it will stop the vibration of the shifter when idling, right?
Old 04-10-05, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry i didn't get to answer earlier, but seems like most of the stuff are covered.

there is a **** on each of the 4 corners where you can adjust the camber to more positive or negative. if you lower your car, you AUTOMATICALLY induce negative camber on the car. the **** has limits, so it can only go so positive or negative.

what it means is, say with a stock car, the **** can control teh camber from +1 to -3 (just an example), if you lower the car by 3 inches, maybe the range will drop to -2 to -5.

hope this helps
Old 04-10-05, 11:36 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

yes it helps a lot. thanks rominl.. is it something i can adjust myself, have you ever done it yourself? or is it best that i bring it to a shop? where exactly is this **** if you knoww.
Old 04-10-05, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes it helps a lot. thanks rominl.. is it something i can adjust myself, have you ever done it yourself? or is it best that i bring it to a shop? where exactly is this **** if you knoww.
if you are very inclined to do that, you can, but i wouldn't touch it myself at all. coz' the ****, if you change it, i belive you change the toe settings as well. it's all part of the whole suspension alignment, it should only be done professionally.

on my car i have only see them do it. at least for the front (2gs), i remember that it's on the bottomr control arm. mine are all maxed out already, so doing alignment won't help anything anymore
Old 04-11-05, 01:42 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

hey, kinda off topic.. but aerostar, did you ever get around to change your transmission mount?
i think you mentioned you were going to do it and it was a cheap fix. i believe it will stop the vibration of the shifter when idling, right?
Hey man, yea I never did replace the tranny mount because it looked to be in pretty good condition when I was doing my clutch. But I did do the shifter seat/bushing, if you havent done that, then do a search and find my thread about it
Old 04-11-05, 01:50 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

yea i did those and posted pics in the original thread when doing it