Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help me pick a tire...245/45/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 02:22 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a tire...245/45/17

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time picking out a tire in 245/45/17 size and I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Here is my list of requirements:

1) Mostly need a summer tire, but has to be able to handle rain decently.

I live in Southern California so its sunny most of the year, but also need to be able to run on these tires in the rain without fear.

The car will never be run at the track, but I'd like something that handles pretty good on the streets.

2) Long lasting.

Hoping to get ~30k miles out of them.

3) Not too expensive.

I'm only looking to spend ~$110-$125 per tire.

4) Not too loud.

Lexus' are luxury cars after all!

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Thanks
Old 03-25-05, 02:39 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Anybody have any experience with the Fusion ZRi, Kumho Ecsta Supra 512, and the Sumitomo HTR Z II ?

TireRack seems to rate the Fusion's best, Sumitomo's second, and the Kumho's last in a comparison of those three tires, but they are also priced accordingly.

Those seem like some good candidates for the job though, what do you think?

Does Falken make anything I should consider?
Old 03-25-05, 08:33 AM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Tires

Buy my stockers they got 95% tread left on em, let me know, thanks,,,,,,
Old 03-25-05, 05:59 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default The only one?

The Kumho ASX (tire rack) has a 30K tread wear warranty. It was reviewd against the p-Zero Nero, Conti Extreme, and Eagle RSA's - all of which cost more than the ASX.

End result - read for yourself but you don't always get what you pay for...

I read somewhere on this board where it was mentioned that "you don't skimp on tires" and I agree - but skimping has ZERO to do with price. What's pumping out of one factory is the same product with a different tread pattern being pumped out of the same factory a couple of hours later.

Pay more if you like but I've been an OEM manufacturer and we produced virtually the same product (under different brand names) and charged a 75% difference in price. If paying more makes you feel good - then thank you - we appreciate your business. If not, do a little digging a find out the real deal.

As an exmaple - you can buy "Kroger" corn or you can buy the name brand "Green Gaint" corn - do you really think Kroger has their own canning plant and facilities? Nope, it's Green Giant relabled as Kroger and sold at a 30% discount. It's not any different with tires.

Use of technology and test results tell you the real deal - not price.

Good Luck,
Eric
Old 03-27-05, 07:29 PM
jag_600
Driver

It is really tough to beat the Goodyear F1-D3.

More $ than you were planning to spend, but the peace of mind especially when it gets wet outside is well worth it.

BTW....they ARE alllergic to snow, so if you go up to Big Bear, take her car
Old 03-29-05, 09:42 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Falken Ziex ZE-512 is the BEST available tire in your price range & a fantastic high performance all season......you should get 40,000+ miles out of them with proper maintenance.

Another tire I have started to hear good things about is the Avon Tech M550 A/S. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Good Luck!
Old 05-16-05, 03:22 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Ok guys...sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm about to buy tires within the next few weeks.

Anybody have any other opinions?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Falken Ziex 512 like LexusFreak recommended. I'm just wondering if they are too "all season" for Southern California?

I like that they have a long tread life, but would I be better off getting some other tire that has equal tread life but is more of an "summer" tire?

Again, I'd like to be able to drive in the rain without fear, but these tires will NEVER see snow.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-05, 06:27 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Intellexual
Ok guys...sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm about to buy tires within the next few weeks.

Anybody have any other opinions?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Falken Ziex 512 like LexusFreak recommended. I'm just wondering if they are too "all season" for Southern California?

I like that they have a long tread life, but would I be better off getting some other tire that has equal tread life but is more of an "summer" tire?

Again, I'd like to be able to drive in the rain without fear, but these tires will NEVER see snow.

Thanks!
You will thank me once you have them on your car. I know you stressed that your leaning towards a summer tire (and also mentioned you won't be taking the car to the track btw). My two recommendations stand as the best available for what your looking for. If there is a better tire that will last longer, with better overall performance for the same or less cost, it is not on the market yet or has not been invented. Try as one might, but there is nothing better currently available in that price range for everything the tire does. You will not be disappointed intellexual.
Old 05-18-05, 03:22 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Hey...

After some more consideration, I think I might spend a few extra dollars and try the Avon Tech M550. I read all 88 Tire Rack customer reviews on them and not one was negative!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anybody here personally tried the Avon M550's before?
Old 05-18-05, 06:20 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Intellexual
Hey...

After some more consideration, I think I might spend a few extra dollars and try the Avon Tech M550. I read all 88 Tire Rack customer reviews on them and not one was negative!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anybody here personally tried the Avon M550's before?
Not a bad choice at all........keep us posted how you like them as they look like they will perform very well! Good Luck.
Old 05-19-05, 12:17 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of the Fuzion's [245/45/17 & 275/40/17]..... they look like SEX & there inexpensive. I paid $449 out the door........
Old 05-20-05, 01:36 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Default Falken Ziex ZE-512

I just bought a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 in 245/40/18 all around. I was hesitant at first about going with such an inexpensive tire, but I went ahead since the place I went to could get them installed on my SC400 the same day.

For the money, these tires are pretty good. I paid about $700 OTD including mounting, warranty, and tax. The salesman also said they are warrantied for up to 30,000. Not a bad deal.

My last set of tires were Bridgestone S03's, which were fanatastic, but only lasted about 19,000. That is actually pretty good mileage from what I've read.

I would definitely recommend the Falkens to anyone.
Old 05-20-05, 02:09 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avon

In the lower level price range the Avon have really come on as a very good choice and in my own testing are pretty nice tires.
Old 05-21-05, 04:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
I just got a set of the Fuzion's [245/45/17 & 275/40/17]..... they look like SEX & there inexpensive. I paid $449 out the door........
I'm very intrested, how does a tire look like sex exactly? I hope nobody has ever said to their partner......"they look better than my tires lmao" !
Old 05-22-05, 10:39 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

i just purchased some of the fuzion zri for a hundred bucks each,,,,,, these tires are made from bridestone..... if u are anywhere near huntington beach let me know............... i can give u a killer deal on these.......

Quick Reply: Help me pick a tire...245/45/17