Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Shipping Rims/tires help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 12:28 AM
tobal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Rims/tires help

I'm curious if anyone shipped out rims w/ tires out. I have a few potential buyers for my old set of Racing Hart M5s, but i don't know hwo to deal with shipping of the wheels. Do i have to package them for shipping or cani ship it as is, or how should it be packaged? What company would be reconmended for this? Also how much does it generally costs to ship something like this out?
Old 02-23-05, 07:14 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you put them in a box with as much packaging material possible. You may need a box for each wheel- although I have seen two wheels per box at times, it really depends on the size of the wheels and tires. UPS will ship wheels and tires...
Old 02-23-05, 08:35 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

simple. Assuming that the tires are mounted on the wheels, just get pieces of cardboard that are bigger than the wheel/tire setup, lay the wheel/tire down on the piece of cardboard and cut around the tire with an exacto knife. I personally use two pieces of cardboard for the front (cosmetic) side of the wheel and one for the back side. You will end up with three cardboard discs per wheel that are the same size as the tire. Using packing tape, secure the cardboard discs to each side of the wheel by running the tape all the way around the tire and the cardboard pieces that are protecting it.

I hope this explains it clearly enough...maybe someone has pics of this done? As far as cost goes, I have seen a set of wheels and tires ship across the country (UPS) for anywhere from $175-200. Good luck.
Old 02-23-05, 10:34 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ebruce2
simple. Assuming that the tires are mounted on the wheels, just get pieces of cardboard that are bigger than the wheel/tire setup, lay the wheel/tire down on the piece of cardboard and cut around the tire with an exacto knife. I personally use two pieces of cardboard for the front (cosmetic) side of the wheel and one for the back side. You will end up with three cardboard discs per wheel that are the same size as the tire. Using packing tape, secure the cardboard discs to each side of the wheel by running the tape all the way around the tire and the cardboard pieces that are protecting it.

I hope this explains it clearly enough...maybe someone has pics of this done? As far as cost goes, I have seen a set of wheels and tires ship across the country (UPS) for anywhere from $175-200. Good luck.

Bingo.

Exactly what I so when shipping rims and tires. Makes things easy.

-Anthony
Old 02-23-05, 11:09 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sent a 17" wheel to BBS for replacement.

I put it in the box that the wheel came in.

box = 19" x 19" x 8" 22lbs

fedex shipped it for $9
Old 02-23-05, 01:39 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As D said,

FedEx is def. the way to go. I shipped 4 wheels with tires across the country for $19 per wheel/tire. A hell of a deal. UPS is too expensive IMO.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 02-25-05, 03:36 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now, for the non business customer, Fed Ex indeed has the best rates with their new ground service.