Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Who is running LSportline 3-piece 4's in 19's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 07:26 AM
DPGS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Who is running LSportline 3-piece 4's in 19's?

Hey all,

I guess this question goes to the IS crowd since I've seen the L-Sportline 3-Piece model 4's mostly on the IS300's. I have them on my 01 GS430 and I'm having some problems. Whenever it rains hard while driving (could be for only a few minutes) the inside of my wheels (backside) are filling with water. I would say about a cup of water stays in the wheel until I make some turns at slow speeds (or pull over and use a towel to soak up the water). I've had the wheels for over a year now, and usually don't drive it when it's raining hard. Last night the wife and I were driving back from Waco from dropping the son off @ Baylor and got caught in a rain storm for about 75 miles. ANY speed above 57 miles per hour (raining or not) and the front end was shaking severely, so much I had to firmly hold the steering wheel with both hands and you could also see the water beads on the hood moving back and forth. When the rain stopped and I was able to cruise at 70 or so and the rear wheels started to shake!! I pulled over and sopped up the water out of all the wheels with a towel, took off again and it was smooth as glass. I did this 3 times last night. This has been on going for the last year, but never as bad as last night. At home I rarely have the problem since I live close to work and don't need the freeway to get there.

I approached the wheel shop here in Houston about my problem; they got the wheels through Dazz Motorsports and said he would make a call. He called me back and told me since it was a 3-piece 19" wheel, all 19" wheels have a bead in the inner barrel towards the inside edge and that's the way they are designed. Well that bead is exactly what is holding the water in my wheels. There is no way for it to escape while the wheel is spinning. I know these wheels were designed primarily for Lexus vehicles so someone has to have this problem besides me!! Anyone??

Thanks for letting me rant; I'm just trying to gather some more information and proof before I contact L-Sportline directly.

Jim

Last edited by DPGS430; 08-22-04 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-22-04, 11:43 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

This is an inherent design flaw of reverse lip design wheels. Because the face is dropped in from the front (thus the straight lip) the channel that allows the tire to be mounted is behind that face. That channel fills with water and creates vibration. This is normally with larger diameter wheels. I have had conversations with people with all types of wheels, including L-Sporline, HRE, etc and all have had this issue.
Old 08-22-04, 12:06 PM
DPGS430
Driver

Originally posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
This is an inherent design flaw of reverse lip design wheels. Because the face is dropped in from the front (thus the straight lip) the channel that allows the tire to be mounted is behind that face. That channel fills with water and creates vibration. This is normally with larger diameter wheels. I have had conversations with people with all types of wheels, including L-Sporline, HRE, etc and all have had this issue.
Thanks for the reply, after I posted this I searched through about 200 or so posts and read that is a common issue with some 3-piece 19's. I just bought new tires for my staggered setup too!!! Are there 19's out there that are not multi-piece that will work in a staggered setup?

Jim
Old 08-22-04, 01:04 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by DPGS430
Thanks for the reply, after I posted this I searched through about 200 or so posts and read that is a common issue with some 3-piece 19's. I just bought new tires for my staggered setup too!!! Are there 19's out there that are not multi-piece that will work in a staggered setup?

Jim
Sure there are, a few companies make 1pc 19s, do you want to stick to flve spoke? Chrome or Silver?