Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Issues when wheel's turned completely on 13 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 08:34 AM
itjustme
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Issues when wheel's turned completely on 13 GS350 F Sport

I have a 2013 GS 350 F Sport and have had it for about 3 months now. Just hit 37k miles and I've noticed for the last several weeks if I'm reversing out of a parking spot and I turn my wheel completely in one direction and then reverse out (usually turn completely to the right when I'm backing out of my spot at work) it seems as if something is hitting / scraping something in the front end. I could feel it in the steering wheel and even as it reverses out it's not a smooth ride - the car is as if it's hitting something up front. Any idea what it can be? I haven't had a chance to take it in due to my busy work schedule and travelling... Could this be something really serious?
Old 06-07-17, 07:26 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by itjustme
I have a 2013 GS 350 F Sport and have had it for about 3 months now. Just hit 37k miles and I've noticed for the last several weeks if I'm reversing out of a parking spot and I turn my wheel completely in one direction and then reverse out (usually turn completely to the right when I'm backing out of my spot at work) it seems as if something is hitting / scraping something in the front end. I could feel it in the steering wheel and even as it reverses out it's not a smooth ride - the car is as if it's hitting something up front. Any idea what it can be? I haven't had a chance to take it in due to my busy work schedule and travelling... Could this be something really serious?

Stock rims? Stock tire sizes? Did you drive over a concrete parking stop and are now dragging the front end back off it If you don't notice anything while driving normally and only have issues and max tilt in reverse that doesn't sound like anything serious, nor does it sound hard for you to look in the wheel wells to figure it out yourself! If it's interference of some sort, worse case it's due to crash damage that was very poorly repaired, likely you just have aftermarket tire sizes which are too big to go full tilt on the wheel (but this should happen in forward and reverse), best case, you have a tree branch stuck in a wheel liner =)

If this is your first rear wheel drive luxury car, it also could be that you aren't used to the high-caster these cars have which causes them to skip the front on sticky surfaces when at full steering lock. Front wheel drive cars cannot get the same amount of steering deflection because of the CV joints transmitting power to the wheels, non-luxury cars typically don't have the same amount of steering axis inclination & caster nor the tire sizes that exacerbate this behavior that luxury cars do.

Last edited by sarmyth; 06-07-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-12-17, 08:22 PM
RoyalRandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car lower?
Old 08-04-18, 04:14 PM
trik444
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread...but did you ever figure out what the culprit is? My wife has a 2017 is350 and I noticed this on her car about 6 months ago. I now own a 2015 GS350 and I notice the exact same feel in the front end when turning full in reverse...almost feels like a grinding of some sort but the car is not lowered and it's on stock wheels/tires. I turned the wheel all the way and got under the car but I don't see contact anywhere...???
Old 08-05-18, 05:42 PM
joeyruks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itjustme
it could be several things but most likely if it’s a grinding noise it’s a wheel bearing.
if it’s a pop or a clunk it could be axle , ball joint , LOwer control arms