Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Thoughts on RR Racing LCA Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 09:31 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default install video

Hey guys, found this install video! glad someone posted it on youtube.

just watched the video. he's struggling a bit. but the whole idea is to see what's involved. I think he should release the other end of the bushing on that arm.

Last edited by sam430; 12-17-17 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MythicOne (12-17-17)
Old 12-17-17, 12:46 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good find Sam430!

Watched the video - solidified my opinion that I DO need to find a shop to have this done.
Still looking for suggestions on a shop that will install this part!

Last edited by MythicOne; 12-17-17 at 12:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-17-17, 10:41 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
Good find Sam430!

Watched the video - solidified my opinion that I DO need to find a shop to have this done.
show them that video, I bet they'll do it cheap. Doesn't look difficult.
Old 12-18-17, 07:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
Good find Sam430!

We are excited to have a new shop now doing installs for us in California.

Please contact Mike from Road Race Engineering, and he will take care of you. PM me if you need contact details.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

MythicOne (12-18-17)
Old 12-18-17, 11:37 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We are excited to have a new shop now doing installs for us in California.

Please contact Mike from Road Race Engineering, and he will take care of you. PM me if you need contact details.

-Rafi
Awesome!! I just PM'd you!
Old 12-21-17, 04:16 AM
ShowOffGPE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump to the top
Old 01-31-18, 03:11 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Just purchased the RR racing LCA bushing for a 2013 GS350 base model (non FSport, non Luxury.) I don't have inner front tire wear at all, but could be because the OEM tires are not the staggered 19 inch like they are on the FSports. Running Michelin PS4S's, 245/40/18. Before that, ran Michelin PSS in the same size. Fronts could have lasted easily 30k+, rears were gone within 20k.

I will update after installation of the bushings to see how much is improved from the "wallowing" side to side on off-camber bumps when the suspension is loaded during higher speed cornering. I know the change won't make it into a Porsche or Lotus, but will see if it helps it in anyway without touching the springs/struts.
Old 01-31-18, 07:07 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

this corrects front inner tire wear but what corrects the rear inner tire wear?
Old 01-31-18, 07:41 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Just purchased the RR racing LCA bushing for a 2013 GS350 base model (non FSport, non Luxury.) I don't have inner front tire wear at all, but could be because the OEM tires are not the staggered 19 inch like they are on the FSports. Running Michelin PS4S's, 245/40/18. Before that, ran Michelin PSS in the same size. Fronts could have lasted easily 30k+, rears were gone within 20k.

I will update after installation of the bushings to see how much is improved from the "wallowing" side to side on off-camber bumps when the suspension is loaded during higher speed cornering. I know the change won't make it into a Porsche or Lotus, but will see if it helps it in anyway without touching the springs/struts.
i have the staggered F Sport 19”s on my ‘13 AWD GS Premium and I’ve been wanting to add this mod to my suspension since last summer. I’m hoping it will help with the understeer and the cars suspension being upset by the highway pavement expansion gaps.
Old 02-02-18, 01:16 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
this corrects front inner tire wear but what corrects the rear inner tire wear?
Since there is no camber or castor adjustments on the stock suspension, rear alignment as close to "centerline" or even a little toe-out should address rear tire wear. But going this route will make the car handle slightly differently, less "stable" on the rear end from my experience.
I prefer to have high speed stability, thus a little toe in on the rear, which most likely is why the rears only last 20-25k miles. The tires aren't cupping or have uneven wear (inner or outer), they are worn evenly throughout the entire tread so the toe-in setting is "working" as it should.
maveriCK.. (02-21-18)
Old 02-02-18, 01:18 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

I'll post back here after the install of the RR racing bushings. I know exactly what you're referring to about the car being "upset."

Originally Posted by highrev6

i have the staggered F Sport 19”s on my ‘13 AWD GS Premium and I’ve been wanting to add this mod to my suspension since last summer. I’m hoping it will help with the understeer and the cars suspension being upset by the highway pavement expansion gaps.
highrev6 (02-02-18)
Old 02-05-18, 11:15 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Installed the RR Racing bushings yesterday on jack stands. Install was pretty straightforward and took 2 hours with normal hand tools. A long handled breaker bar will make the job much easier when removing the bolts.

The video above for the install on an IS is almost the same for the GS350. Difference on the GS to make install easier are:
- Remove the transmission plastic cover.
- Remove the "V-metal bracket" that goes over the transmission plastic cover.
- Remove the metal "bracket" that prevents the removal/install of the LCA bushings. This will be pretty obvious, as it will be impossible to remove the LCA bushing if this bracket isn't removed/swiveled out of the way.
2 bolt hold in each bracket, so can remove one bolt and loosen the other to swivel this bracket out of the way.

Driving impressions:
There are sections of the freeway around here that have bumps in the middle of the sweeper. Meaning, the freeway interchange curves from east to south and in the middle of the curve, there is a high "bump" due to shoddy workmanship/cheap labor/lowest bidder/etc upon construction of the freeway, so it's not smooth. Hitting this "bump" when the suspension is loaded due to higher speeds ( 70-120mph+), the car becomes upset upon settling down. A lot of cars I've driven do get upset on this bump at speed. The only cars that were not affected by this bump at speed were a 2011 ISF and a 2016 4Runner with the KDSS suspension (go figure on the 4Runner....) All other cars I've owned, driven on this bump at the same speeds do get "upset," but some more than others. 2015 M3 without the variable suspension does (although not too bad, but noticeable), 2014 428i with MSport suspension, ES350 for sure, a 2008 ISF, NX200t, 128i, i3, etc.

When the GS350 goes over this bump, it is very noticeable as when the suspension compresses, it wallows quite a bit. Secondary rebound and even a 3rd oscillating of the body can be felt afterwards. After the RR Racing bushing, the "wallowing effect" is not eliminated, but it is lessened by, I would say 50%. Mind you, this is a GS350, non Luxury, non FSport suspension on 18's square setup, not staggered, no AVS, etc. I didn't think it would completely eliminate all this with only a bushing, as to make it like handle like an ISF, it would require a complete re-tuning of the shocks/struts and more.

As for the difference being "night and day," it is noticeable only if you pay attention to it and know what to look for when driving AND only if you've driven the car for thousands of miles and can tell when something on your car is "changed." Does the steering "feel" better? Yes, it's slightly more "direct" meaning there is seemingly less of a "delay" when turning the wheel from center, but don't be expecting direct steering immediacy like an ISF/M3. The GS is still a heavy luxury car with way softer shocks/struts than a sports luxury car. Do you feel rough roads more? Yes, but like above, only if you are looking for it when driving, otherwise, passengers won't notice the increase in "harshness" at all because it's not a night and day difference.

Are the bushings worth it? Depends if you have $350 to "spend" for a slight increase in steering feel. For me, it's worth it just to get rid of the "delay" upon turning the steering wheel from center and to at least mitigate some of the "wallow" of the car. Will this make your GS350 into an ISF? The only thing that can do that is upgrading to the GSF.

I will post more "findings" as the miles pile on. Overall, I am satisfied with the results.

I'll post back here after the install of the RR racing bushings. I know exactly what you're referring to about the car being "upset."
The following 2 users liked this post by itsmike177:
maveriCK.. (02-21-18), phins2rt (02-05-18)
Old 03-14-18, 03:24 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Following up on the RR Racing Bushings after a little over a month since installation.

Overall, what was mentioned in the post above is the same. Another difference I've noticed is when braking on rough roads. With the OEM rubber bushings, if the road was crowned heavily or really rough, the steering wheel and car would veer off depending on the road condition. This has been drastically reduced, as the car feels more "solid" when braking over rough/crowned roads, meaning the steering and "wandering" on rough roads is minimized.

As stated in the previous post, don't be expecting sports car level handling with just a bushing change, that can only happen with a complete overhaul of all shocks/struts/suspension arms/alignment etc, which would be counterproductive of a "luxury" car that wasn't really designed to be a sports car in the beginning. Even the GSF is too heavy and large to be considered a sports sedan, luxury performance yes.
maveriCK.. (03-14-18)
Old 04-07-18, 04:12 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Following up on the RR Racing Bushings after a little over a month since installation.

Overall, what was mentioned in the post above is the same. Another difference I've noticed is when braking on rough roads. With the OEM rubber bushings, if the road was crowned heavily or really rough, the steering wheel and car would veer off depending on the road condition. This has been drastically reduced, as the car feels more "solid" when braking over rough/crowned roads, meaning the steering and "wandering" on rough roads is minimized.

As stated in the previous post, don't be expecting sports car level handling with just a bushing change, that can only happen with a complete overhaul of all shocks/struts/suspension arms/alignment etc, which would be counterproductive of a "luxury" car that wasn't really designed to be a sports car in the beginning. Even the GSF is too heavy and large to be considered a sports sedan, luxury performance yes.
Excuse the ignorance, but has this reduced the body roll during cornering/turns at all? Interested in getting these.
Old 04-07-18, 09:06 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by eddie420
Excuse the ignorance, but has this reduced the body roll during cornering/turns at all? Interested in getting these.
Reduced body roll a little bit, not a night and day difference. It feels like it makes the car more "stable" on turns due to the bushings don't deflect as much, but it's not necessarily reducing body roll. The suspension is still "soft" which bushings will not fix.

The only thing that can truly reduce body roll on turns is a complete retune of the shocks/springs and anti-sway bars (which then, goes into adjusting caster/camber, suspension arms will need to be altered, etc.)
eddie420 (04-07-18)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on RR Racing LCA Bushing