Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Newbie question about springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 04:09 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Newbie question about springs

I have a 2015 non-F Sport. I am considering installing lowering springs, but want the car to ride very smoothly. Any recommendations? I have seen a few postings on eBay for "comfort" lowering springs, but they specifically state 2013. Will they work for my car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-MADE-T...9VyqMx&vxp=mtr

Lastly, my plan is to keep the OEM (adjustable) shocks/struts. Is that a smart idea? Remember, I want my car to ride as smooth as possible.
Old 10-17-16, 07:39 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Those are the Tanabe NF210, quite popular. Similar non-aggressive drop to Swift lowering springs or RSR "Down Sus." (not nearly as low as the RSR "Super Down.")

While ride quality & comfort are rather subjective, you may want to consider your tires. Gran touring tires will emphasize ride comfort with a softer sidewall, and performance tires will stiffen the sidewall for better handling. Similarly, dropping down to 18" wheels give you more sidewall to work with the suspension, rather than requiring the suspension to do more work.
Old 10-19-16, 07:32 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I mentioned this in a different post (jittery ride) a couple of months ago, but I'd swear that my car rides MUCH firmer than any other GS350 I've been in. It's SO firm, that it is uncomfortable and a little embarrassing (when there are passengers).

I realize that taller tires will make a difference but: my past two cars (both BMW) had 40 series; the GS F-sport loaner I drove for almost two weeks had 40 series (the same brand tire on my car too); and the "other" sample cars had 40 series (a 2015 F-sport, etc.). All were very composed and better "planted to the road" especially at highway speeds. Mine is jarring and takes a lot more (slight) steering corrections on the highway. You can definitely feel the firmness on residential roads too. There's also some "side to side" wallowing on uneven roads. All of this sounds like more than just a tire swap. I'd swear my 2006 Ford Explorer rode WAY better than this thing, lol...how can this be?

I'm due for an oil change and will probably take it to the Dealer for that, and to review the suspension again. I don't particularly feel like they treated my claim seriously even though the salesperson rode with me and agreed that this was much firmer than any of their other cars.
Old 10-19-16, 07:33 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

If the Dealer cannot/will not fix it, I thought I would try new springs/shocks/struts myself. I do NOT foresee keeping this car very long it there's no improvement soon.
Old 10-19-16, 09:35 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, I recall your challenges and was hoping you'd make headway with the possibility of AVS being loose or otherwise having a setup issue.

I'm super curious to drive your car, no plans to make it up to Dallas anytime soon.

The stiffness on bumps sounds like the most significant issue that's more likely to be non-tire. Hunting on uneven roads and how "planted" a car feels on the highway could have to do with tires. Example -- on a previous BMW 325 I moved from a Bridgestone to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and wow, huge difference. Stiffness was the same, but the Conti's had significantly sharper steering response and required much more gentle handling of the steering wheel at highway speeds. Similarly, when you wanted to steer the car, they reacted much faster. Depending on the driver's finesse, the car could be comfortable or make you more likely to get motion sickness from all the lateral shifting.