Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Adding AVS adjustable dampers to stock GS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 04:31 PM
richardall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding AVS adjustable dampers to stock GS350

Hello,

I just purchased a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD with the navigation package. I am finding that the ride is very firm, compared to the luxury model I test drove.

I my car is equipped with 18in Michellin Primacy Touring tires, I have dropped the tire pressure to 30psi, and i still find it firm.

My model is not equipped with the adjustable suspension, which comes with adaptive dampers.

Is it possible to add the AVS adjustable dampers on this model?

As well, it is worth downgrading the tire size to 225-50-17?

Thanks

Richard
Old 10-14-13, 04:41 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Only if you switch out to the f sport suspension shocks. I don't think non f sport has the features to do that I could be wrong
Old 10-14-13, 07:18 PM
LexFather

Hi Richard, sorry you find the ride too firm. Not sure if its possible nor cost effective to add AVS and it would only make things more firm since sport + stiffens the suspension slightly. Coilovers are your best bet for the ability to find the ride setting you prefer, I recommend RS-R.
Old 10-14-13, 07:24 PM
richardall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Hi Richard, sorry you find the ride too firm. Not sure if its possible nor cost effective to add AVS and it would only make things more firm since sport + stiffens the suspension slightly. Coilovers are your best bet for the ability to find the ride setting you prefer, I recommend RS-R.
Thanks for the reply. Where do I get coil overs and where do I get them installed ? As well what do they do?

Thanks

Richard
Old 10-15-13, 05:45 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
Only if you switch out to the f sport suspension shocks. I don't think non f sport has the features to do that I could be wrong
AVS also comes on the GS when you get the luxury package that offers Sport+ (http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/options/). Besides engine tweaks, it firms up the ride and steering. It's very noticeable once lowering springs are installed.

In the case of the person who posted this question, adding AVS would be wildly expensive, if it even was possible.

I don't have experience with coilovers, but it seems like to me that coilovers would make things a little more firm than the premium GS package (besides ride height adjust-ability)? What about less firm springs? Is that even possible?
Old 10-15-13, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by richardall
Thanks for the reply. Where do I get coil overs and where do I get them installed ? As well what do they do?

Thanks

Richard
http://rs-r.com

If you are in south Florida I know quite a few shops.

Originally Posted by jscgs350
AVS also comes on the GS when you get the luxury package that offers Sport+ (http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/options/). Besides engine tweaks, it firms up the ride and steering. It's very noticeable once lowering springs are installed.

In the case of the person who posted this question, adding AVS would be wildly expensive, if it even was possible.

I don't have experience with coilovers, but it seems like to me that coilovers would make things a little more firm than the premium GS package (besides ride height adjust-ability)? What about less firm springs? Is that even possible?
With coilovers you can also adjust dampening which is a huge advantage. So you can make them super firm or super soft and anywhere in between. It just requires you to test and try different settings which takes time but can be well worth it to someone who wants exactly what they want.
Old 10-15-13, 01:04 PM
jscgs350
Driver

With coilovers you can also adjust dampening which is a huge advantage. So you can make them super firm or super soft and anywhere in between. It just requires you to test and try different settings which takes time but can be well worth it to someone who wants exactly what they want.
Thanks Blueprint!
Old 10-15-13, 01:59 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are in south Florida I know quite a few shops.

How exactly do you adjust dampening on the coilovers? Is it a turn of a screw or requires more?
Old 10-15-13, 03:40 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
How exactly do you adjust dampening on the coilovers? Is it a turn of a screw or requires more?
Yes, its a turn of a screw. Dampening on a coilover can be found on top, bottom, both top/ bottom, or could be in a separate chamber. it just depends on what brand or coilover system you have
Old 10-16-13, 11:41 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by richardall

Thanks

Richard
We carry all coilovers for all types of vehicles.

Any local shop near you can do installation.

If you are local we even offer installation inhouse for clients.

A coilover system

allows you to control your ride height and ride comfort.

We are a authorized dealer of RS-R coilovers in the United States.

Their products are amazing and made in Japan

the great thing about the RS-R system is it allows easy adjustments while keeping the overall structure of the system at superb quality.
Old 10-16-13, 12:58 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Coilovers are the way to go you can also change your springs settings to make it hard or soft then adjust your dampening to your liking
Old 10-19-13, 09:37 AM
Carguy949
Driver School Candidate

Richard, you bring up an interesting point that I've been wondering about. I'm considering a 2014 GS and I'm debating about the luxury package largely because of the AVS. I understand that even in the normal setting AVS will firm up the shocks selectively to reduce body roll and improve control. Does this mean that the shocks can be a bit softer than in a non-AVS car since they have the ability to adjust? Your experience would suggest that. Has anyone heard technical details to back this up?

Thanks,
Other Richard
Old 10-19-13, 02:11 PM
richardall
Driver School Candidate

Hello Richard,

I am not able to drive a 2013 GS350 AWD with the luxury package since none are available in Canada for 1 month.

I would like to know other peoples comentary on the ride difference.

I am thinking about downgrading for my winter tires to 225-55-17 with Yokohama Ice guard IG52C tires.

Feedback anyone?