Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Which coil overs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 11:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
LOOOL! PISH POSH! You have salt 1 season of the year, we got beach salt ALL year long .

I'm in Orl though, so I have no room to say.

On a side note, I've been dying to witness snow at least one time in my life.... maybe this X-mas I'll get the chance lol.
cool lets trade places. my buddy lives in tampa so i'll let you know when it snows and you can travel up here for it while i sit in the nice florida sun. hope your ok with 15 and 20 degree weather
Old 09-13-13, 08:11 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
cool lets trade places. my buddy lives in tampa so i'll let you know when it snows and you can travel up here for it while i sit in the nice florida sun. hope your ok with 15 and 20 degree weather
Sounds delicious! I'll be making yellow snow cones for all the kiddies! HAHAHA!
Old 02-04-14, 02:13 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

...bringing this back from the dead..lol

SOOOOOO, BC Racing is the way to go for the 3rd Gen GS 350? I have a 2010 RWD and I want to do this right THE FIRST TIME. I daily this car and just need a stiffer ride...something more comparable to my 535i I just got rid of for the GS. The handling was awesome on that car, but things were just expensive for no reason on it.

I don't mind a stiffer ride at all as the stock suspension feels like im on a boat...or in my grandfathers cadillac lol.

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 02-05-14, 12:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

yup, should get better responses from BCR, also you can still have stock quality ride IMO....

I love my BCR struts mated on my UAS bags
Old 02-05-14, 02:29 PM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with BCR coilovers on my Subaru was terrible. I mounted a set temporarily while my Tein Flex coilovers were being rebuilt.

Tein Flex is definitely not a cozy ride, not arguing that one bit. Super stiff and teeth chattering.

BCR felt extremely springy. The bounce/travel I felt with the BCR was disturbing. Performance wise I also hated them. On a 3GS I don't know how much different it would be. The spring rates on a Subaru or Lexus are identical. I do understand most Lexus users aren't looking for pure performance so they might have a better experience.

Personally I don't see myself every using BC products again, unless I was looking for something that would not break the bank and purely looking for the adjustable height functionality. Performance wise it failed on many levels comparatively.

From what I've read so far many 3GS users are claiming BCR feels like stock? Maybe the weight of the 3GS compared to a 3,000 lb Subaru might change the feel of them that dramatically.

I'm definitely curious to read a little more feedback from our BCR users.
--Imran
Old 02-05-14, 03:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

You hit it on the nail in the second to last sentence. Weight, suspension setup, and everything is all different between a Subaru and a Lexus. One suspension set might not be as good in your Subaru, but it's quite a bit better in ours.

Did you happen to adjust your dampening accordingly on your Subaru to suit your needs? I know my pal with BCRs on his Civic have nothing but praises on his setup, and he tracked it monthly (I say tracked because he picked up a TSX and decided to sway away from his toy)

You are also right about what we're looking for purely, just that bit of performance for some of us (if we're feeling it) but for the most part it's to slam the car easily. You can get a lot lower with BCRs than you can with Teins. Also, from what I've been told by the Tein players on here, is that those struts Tein makes aren't very forigiving if you keep'em low for long.
Old 02-05-14, 04:44 PM
avs20
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my BCR's! Dampening set on 12 front and 14 rear...great ride. I'm barely tucking tire and it handles like a dream. I also installed front and rear f-sport sway bars and it made cornering so much better. Definitely recommend this setup!
Old 02-07-14, 08:59 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
You hit it on the nail in the second to last sentence. Weight, suspension setup, and everything is all different between a Subaru and a Lexus. One suspension set might not be as good in your Subaru, but it's quite a bit better in ours.

Did you happen to adjust your dampening accordingly on your Subaru to suit your needs? I know my pal with BCRs on his Civic have nothing but praises on his setup, and he tracked it monthly (I say tracked because he picked up a TSX and decided to sway away from his toy)

You are also right about what we're looking for purely, just that bit of performance for some of us (if we're feeling it) but for the most part it's to slam the car easily. You can get a lot lower with BCRs than you can with Teins. Also, from what I've been told by the Tein players on here, is that those struts Tein makes aren't very forigiving if you keep'em low for long.
I assumed the weight difference would directly effect how the BCR coilovers feel and respond.

I did adjust the dampers from extremely soft, to mid, to stiff and for whatever reason it never felt right. There is too much travel or bounce from the BCR coils. I felt like the car physically traveled too much, like a car with blown struts (this was a brand new set of BCR coilovers btw). The Teins on the other hand, you feel the impact from any bumps tremendously but the car feels planted on the ground all the time.

I can see the BCR's being effective on a smooth, leveled track. But on normal street conditions it's a different story IMO.

--Imran
Old 02-07-14, 10:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip773
I assumed the weight difference would directly effect how the BCR coilovers feel and respond.

I did adjust the dampers from extremely soft, to mid, to stiff and for whatever reason it never felt right. There is too much travel or bounce from the BCR coils. I felt like the car physically traveled too much, like a car with blown struts (this was a brand new set of BCR coilovers btw). The Teins on the other hand, you feel the impact from any bumps tremendously but the car feels planted on the ground all the time.

I can see the BCR's being effective on a smooth, leveled track. But on normal street conditions it's a different story IMO.

--Imran
did you preload them properly?
Old 02-07-14, 10:49 AM
XxGoKoUxX

--Imran
Yikes, I'd actually go out on a limb and say your BCR's were either defective, or what IXI said.

Mine's were ROUGH, and they were on 15 front and 20 rear, with another 12 adjustments in the rear available. When I say rough I mean, you could feel EVERY bump on the road.
Old 02-07-14, 12:58 PM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

Yes they were preloaded before mounting. I doubt they were defective or I would have had all sorts of other issues. The ride quality was just bunk to me.

XxGoKoUxX, sit in a car with Tein coilovers and you'll understand what rough truely means lol. Suspension is rough when your teeth are chattering going down the road.

BCR for ride-height =

--Imran
Old 02-07-14, 08:47 PM
LexFather

I have RS-R coil overs on the way from Japan.. Each unit is hand made and this system is specific to the 450h. They are also a site sponsor here
Old 02-08-14, 01:22 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Yes they were preloaded before mounting. I doubt they were defective or I would have had all sorts of other issues. The ride quality was just bunk to me.

XxGoKoUxX, sit in a car with Tein coilovers and you'll understand what rough truely means lol. Suspension is rough when your teeth are chattering going down the road.

BCR for ride-height =

--Imran
LOL, I've ridden on Teins coilovers before, but they weren't set TOO rough, they were adjustable teins on a 01 prelude. When I say rough ride, I mean, I hit a bump and my behind flew up in the air, I swear the wheels went off the road during highway speeds because I set my dampening too rough and bags too high. It was my first 3 hours of driving the car on bags. After learning how bags worked, and dropping at least 10-15 clicks each, the ride was much more tolerable.

All in all, I say give'em another chance Imran, I'm not saying you're wrong, as the ride quality to each person is different, but you should def give'em another chance!

Originally Posted by LexFather
I have RS-R coil overs on the way from Japan.. Each unit is hand made and this system is specific to the 450h. They are also a site sponsor here
I'm not gonna lie LexFather, if I didn't already work on my BCR's, I would have given the RS-R's a chance, as I've read great things about'em!