Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Sewell Sale on 3GS parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

batman, i agree squeaking is common on poly bushings, that's why greasing needed

but the problem with the previous old bushing was not the squeaking part. it's the wrong size causing plays in the sways and it creates a lot of clunking sound (when the sways move left and right and the stops hitting back and forth).

i am not saying you have the wrong bushings though, i am just reading here and there. but i am just focusing on the problem and source of the noise
Old 06-04-10, 09:31 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
So how will you know if your bushings are old or new if the markings don't tell you? If you don't have an old bushing, you can't tell whether the one you have is bigger or smaller.
Old on the left. It measures 3/10ths of an inch from the bottom of the bushing to the bottom edge of the hole. The new bushing measures 4/10ths of an inch.

Old on the left. It measures 1.95 inches from top to bottom. The new one measures 2.1 inches.
Old 06-04-10, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, that's quite big difference in the dimensions. very interesting, with the old bushing that much smaller, how could it be secured properly by the brackets
Old 06-04-10, 12:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the clunking noise would be loud enought that I would hopefully notice when I drive the car off at 6pm est. Unfortunately it's too late for me to measure the parts.
Old 06-04-10, 01:10 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is his response:
The AB embossment versus the ZD embossment is inconsequential. Either bushing will require regular greasing to eliminate the squeak noise. This is standard procedure on performance parts of this type. They are polyurethane bushings, they must be greased.

The bushings I have here have the AB embossment, and I’m told by my Parts rep. that Lexus wouldn’t distribute the parts if there was a problem with them. These are all recently ordered Parts. Not old parts that were sitting on my shelves. These just got here from the warehouse in Jacksonville. With regular and proper maintenance, there will be no problems."

I know for a fact he ordered the part just over a week ago so If I have the wrong part, then Lexus is still shipping the wrong part.

I am inclined to agree with my Lexus dealer - the information above has to be correct. I cannot believe that both Lexus Corporate and Sewell Lexus would both be shipping old parts.
Well, I hate to tell you this but the Lexus TSIB clearly states: "NOTE: The revised bushings are identified with a "ZD" marking, and the original bushings are identified with an "AB" marking."

See page two of the attached TSIB. Print it out and bring it in to them and make 'em fix it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0028-10.pdf (179.2 KB, 408 views)
Old 06-04-10, 04:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

It's pretty shocking that Lexus is still shipping the old parts to dealers. I'm losing respect for them.

Good news is that whatever they installed on my car works. The sway bars are working as prescribed. And I don't have any clunking or knocking noises. The sway bars are silent so far. The temperature is 77 degrees. I have driven 60 miles on the new sway bars without any problems. The cornering definitely seems more confident. With the AVS in sport, the cornering was pretty good to start with but you notice when you push hard, and you also notice when you are overtaking and doing rapid change of direction in both directions. With AVS in normal, the handling is signficantly improved.

I don't see any need to take the car back for the TSIB, but if it starts making noises in the future then I will.
Old 06-04-10, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the handling is signficantly improved.
congrats!

and see, told you. whoever says sways do nothing on gs460, they have no idea what they are talking about
Old 06-04-10, 06:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see any need to take the car back for the TSIB, but if it starts making noises in the future then I will.
I have had no issues on my GS430 with the same bushings.
Old 06-05-10, 08:15 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I was driving the car today and trying to detect the thumping noise from the sways. I did notice a thumping noise on the side roads in South Beach which are pretty rough roads. On the highways and around the rest of the town with smoother roads I didn't notice anything.

Could this be a sway issue or is this just regular road noise? I have a hard time telling because the runflats also make a thud sound whenever they hit a manhole or whatever.
Old 06-05-10, 09:20 AM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had the thumping noise, the frequency was greater in the morning when it's cold or cooler (almost every bump I hit there's a thump). Then later in the day it when it was warmer it was more radom one or two thumps here and there.
Old 06-05-10, 09:42 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wingster
When I had the thumping noise, the frequency was greater in the morning when it's cold or cooler (almost every bump I hit there's a thump). Then later in the day it when it was warmer it was more radom one or two thumps here and there.
Does the thump sound like you are carrying a plank of wood in your trunk and it is loose.
Old 06-05-10, 10:52 AM
wingster
Driver

Does the thump sound like you are carrying a plank of wood in your trunk and it is loose.
Yes, like something knocking around in the trunk, but comming from the front wheel area. The noise sounds about the same everytime... it doesn't matter if the bump you hit is large or small.
Old 06-05-10, 12:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Yes, like something knocking around in the trunk, but comming from the front wheel area. The noise sounds about the same everytime... it doesn't matter if the bump you hit is large or small.
I only selectively get it. For instance I was driving around the mall going over the speedbumps and no noise. I was driving on the highway and again no noise. I took a 90 degree ramp at 70mph and no noise. However if I drive north on the street outside my apartment I get noise. Of course this road is so bad I get noise from tires, from the sunroof, and from a variety of other sources so I am not sure whether it is the sways. But there is a series of thumping noises on this one road and it does come from the front wheel area. However it is difficult to say whether it is the runflats or the sways.
Old 06-05-10, 07:11 PM
wingster
Driver

Man, I feel bad for you, with all the noises.

Getting back to the sway bars, I remember the noises happen most often when one wheel hits a bump (front, left or right)... so speed bumps typically didn't cause the thumping noise.

Also, when I first installed the sway bars, I noticed that the stiffer F-Sport sways amplified some tire noise.
Old 06-05-10, 07:26 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Man, I feel bad for you, with all the noises.

Getting back to the sway bars, I remember the noises happen most often when one wheel hits a bump (front, left or right)... so speed bumps typically didn't cause the thumping noise.

Also, when I first installed the sway bars, I noticed that the stiffer F-Sport sways amplified some tire noise.
Don't feel for me. It's mostly my own fault. The other noises I was referring to were caused by other things whcih made noise when I hit bumps. My sunglasses rattling in the sunglasses holder, a loose strobe light unit I had stored in the glove box, and some light bulbs rolling around in the center console. I just took all that crap out to quite the car.

Since doing that I have driven it some more, and I do think I am getting some sway noise but it is only under on one road with a lot of potholes. Other than that the car is pretty much silent. I think I am going to change the bushings. I am also going to see if I can sell the runflats and get some Bridgestone RE-11s. One thing that became clear to me today is that the noisiest thing about this car is the hard run flat tires hitting bumps and joints - and these PS2 runflats are quieter than the OEM ones so I can't imagine how bad it would be if I still had the Bridgestone EL42s.

Quick Reply: Sewell Sale on 3GS parts