Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F-Sport Springs Level 3GS AWD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 07:45 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Technically, I can't seem to find out why a lowered ride height would cause the car to wobble from 0-15/20mph.

If I'm on the stock wheels and I accelerate with WOT from a cruising highway speed I don't get any vibrations, but with my iForged wheels I do. To be honest, I believe I always felt the 0-15/20mph wobble, even with the stock springs.
That's the problem. It may not have anything to do with your aftermarket parts
Old 07-28-09, 09:59 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Technically, I can't seem to find out why a lowered ride height would cause the car to wobble from 0-15/20mph.

If I'm on the stock wheels and I accelerate with WOT from a cruising highway speed I don't get any vibrations, but with my iForged wheels I do. To be honest, I believe I always felt the 0-15/20mph wobble, even with the stock springs.
I expanded my google search on the issue using the new key words wobble + acceleration and it points to worn inner CV boots? I also just started having an issues with both my inner boots leaking grease at the clamp area (no tears). I think this may be it? I wonder how much this repair would cost.
Old 07-28-09, 11:27 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been searching "AWD vibration", "staggered AWD vibration", "lowered AWD vibration", etc. Listen to these guys:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=356753

One of them actually has an 06 GS300 AWD.
Old 07-28-09, 11:33 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by telmz1
I expanded my google search on the issue using the new key words wobble + acceleration and it points to worn inner CV boots? I also just started having an issues with both my inner boots leaking grease at the clamp area (no tears). I think this may be it? I wonder how much this repair would cost.
CV joint replacement is a common task. I go through a set at least once a year in my Acura. For this car, it may be very expensive due to the parts. This could be an issue? If your inner boot is leaking you may be able to get it re-greased with a new boot. There were some Mini Cooper guys who developed vibrations due to worn CV boots/joints.

How many miles do you have and what suspension are you using. If I had an issue with worn CV boots the deal should've noticed because it gets really messy. The last time I had my car in the dealer was for the steering assembly replacement and they said it was super clean under my car.
Old 07-28-09, 11:46 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

CV joint replacement is a common task. I go through a set at least once a year in my Acura. For this car, it may be very expensive due to the parts. This could be an issue? If your inner boot is leaking you may be able to get it re-greased with a new boot. There were some Mini Cooper guys who developed vibrations due to worn CV boots/joints.

How many miles do you have and what suspension are you using. If I had an issue with worn CV boots the deal should've noticed because it gets really messy. The last time I had my car in the dealer was for the steering assembly replacement and they said it was super clean under my car.
2006 GS300 AWD with 45K and BC Coilovers. I had Tanabe DF210s for about a month.
Old 07-28-09, 11:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

talk to GS350on22. he said something about replacing his wheel bearing and it got rid of the vibration.

i know the vibration isnt there at stock height because my car rode great. it still rides great but about 50% of the time i get a 0-10mph vibration. usually if i start off slowly.
Old 07-28-09, 12:06 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

I too have been searching "AWD vibration", "staggered AWD vibration", "lowered AWD vibration", etc. Listen to these guys:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=356753

One of them actually has an 06 GS300 AWD.
I think there are two separate issues here:

1. Vibration when at idle/stop
2. Wobbling during 0-15 mph acceleration

I have both.

I'm seriously considering dumping this car after 2 months of ownership and using my budget for rims to just pay the difference to get an 06 BMW 530i sports package and be done with it all.
Old 07-28-09, 12:18 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
talk to GS350on22. he said something about replacing his wheel bearing and it got rid of the vibration.

i know the vibration isnt there at stock height because my car rode great. it still rides great but about 50% of the time i get a 0-10mph vibration. usually if i start off slowly.
I read all his threads...I believe he was getting vibrations when he was going 60-80 mph which usually points to tires, bearings, or bent rims. my issues are just like yours.

I'm actually on justanswer.com with a certified lexus tech and he's telling me that the axles are out of balanced, which are usually caused by bad inner boots. Replacement is about $700 per axle at the dealer or $200 aftermarket at an independent shop.
Old 07-28-09, 02:10 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both.

I'm seriously considering dumping this car after 2 months of ownership and using my budget for rims to just pay the difference to get an 06 BMW 530i sports package and be done with it all.
Wouldn't be a bad choice of vehicle!

I read all his threads...I believe he was getting vibrations when he was going 60-80 mph which usually points to tires, bearings, or bent rims. my issues are just like yours.

I'm actually on justanswer.com with a certified lexus tech and he's telling me that the axles are out of balanced, which are usually caused by bad inner boots. Replacement is about $700 per axle at the dealer or $200 aftermarket at an independent shop.
Not covered under warranty?!
Old 07-28-09, 02:19 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

I have both.

vibration at idle is normal and common, this is a motor vibration. every awd car does it, even all of the rental ISawds and GSawds me and my father has recieved.

its the wobble where you can fell it through the floor boards of the car which is the issue.

you see if the wobble occurred because of tires we would feel it through the wheel. we ran stocks on the GS for a few weeks and had the wobble and even had the wobble when the after market rims and tires went on. so i know it's not tires or rims. bearings however that is a possibility. bad axles maybe at fault where early production models had bad inner joints. does the 08/09 cars have this issue or is it the 07/06cars that have the most issues?
Old 07-28-09, 02:38 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Wouldn't be a bad choice of vehicle!

Not covered under warranty?!
Lexus already told me that I have to put the car back to stock before they will look at it. It will cost me $200 to take off the coilovers and another $200 to put it back on.

They will likely turn around and blame the altered suspension as the cause and void warranty.

I figure I'll just spend the $400 or so and see if replacing one or both axles will fix it. If not, remove the coilovers put it back to stock and give it to carmax.
Old 07-28-09, 02:41 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
vibration at idle is normal and common, this is a motor vibration. every awd car does it, even all of the rental ISawds and GSawds me and my father has recieved.

its the wobble where you can fell it through the floor boards of the car which is the issue.

you see if the wobble occurred because of tires we would feel it through the wheel. we ran stocks on the GS for a few weeks and had the wobble and even had the wobble when the after market rims and tires went on. so i know it's not tires or rims. bearings however that is a possibility. bad axles maybe at fault where early production models had bad inner joints. does the 08/09 cars have this issue or is it the 07/06cars that have the most issues?
stvincent is an 08 GS350 AWD and has this problem.
Old 07-28-09, 08:31 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Lexus already told me that I have to put the car back to stock before they will look at it. It will cost me $200 to take off the coilovers and another $200 to put it back on.

They will likely turn around and blame the altered suspension as the cause and void warranty.

I figure I'll just spend the $400 or so and see if replacing one or both axles will fix it. If not, remove the coilovers put it back to stock and give it to carmax.
I'm with you on that. My warranty is up in December. I will eventually put the car back to stock then let the wife use it as a daily driver or just trade it in. However, I'll only need to spend $250 to remove the Tanabe's and re-install the stock springs.
Old 07-28-09, 08:53 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

looks very nice.....like it a lot.
Old 07-29-09, 04:24 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I'm not sure about your guys driving habits but our cars are not lowered enough to damage the CV joints. The first thing to go is the CV boots.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Level 3GS AWD!!!