Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 08:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you could install it yourself. coilovers like these are pretty much a direct swap since they already come with the mounts. just unbolt your suspension and bolt in the new one. its pretty simple.
Old 03-16-09, 08:22 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01a4man
Nardeezy,

I'm sure that everything will be fine once the stock suspension is sent in for R&D. As far as your second post, from the little research I have had the time to do, BC Racing is not a huge company like Tein, HKS, Tanabe, etc.. However, you do need to consider the fact not many people are stepping up to the plate as far as making a coilover for the GS. Secondly, since I have joined this forum and searched suspension posts, all I have heard is people complaining about not having options and thinking about trading their vehicles in due to the fact that suspension is not available. I am not trying to bash people here to include you but, the price being quoted is average in cost and from the specs being shown, a lot better than most other options even for cars that coilovers are already available for.

Consider the fact that I paid $2k for my NSX coilovers and $5k for a set of motorsport coilovers for a previous Audi I had. All I am trying to say is, be happy that someone is willing to try and make this happen for us instead of questioning business techniques. I mean, how many sets of springs do you think Tein and Tanabe have sold? I'm more than willing to bet the amount of profit made from either company selling the springs has offset the cost of R&D for them as well as giving away a couple of springs for their test mules. Now take into consideration that four (4) out of XXXX AWD owners have stepped up and shown interest in being the test mules for this. Why would they offer us anything with the chance of these four (4) sets being the only ones? Realistically you could say that other people may be be waiting till this is done and we have evaluated the coilovers and have reported on them here. Even in that case, remember that four (4) people have shown interest and are taking the plunge to make this happen. Sorry bro for the long winded response and please remember that I am not even remotely trying to bash you or anyone else. I'm just being honest.
I think it's good that you guys are "stepping up to the plate" and that another company is going attempting to design and develop coilovers for the GS AWD. However, if the development process is as easy as you say, I would assume that a bigger companies like Tanabe, Tein or Eibach would have the resources and capacity to design and develop AWD coilovers for full production in less than 6 months (if it was found to be profitable). In the past, I know that Tanabe and Eibach were requesting for GS AWD vehicles for R&D testing but for whatever reason nothing resulted from it (no updates)? Also, JIC Magic (which I believe is a smaller company) was working on a set of coilovers but again, for whatever reason nothing resulted from it (no updates)? I'm just curious on how BC is going to pull it off?

Being that IS AWD coilovers are available, I do have some level of confidence that they can pull it off. However, there may be something designed differently with the GS AWD in which it will cost significantly more than $1200 for a released production set?

Given the fact that folks in this forum will be involved with the development of the product, my main question is will the "front shock absorber lower bracket" be included with the coilover kit? In my mind, I think this has been the biggest challenge for any aftermarket suspension manufacturer. The only reason the AWD has that bracket is to accommodate the front axles. Instead of obtaining the suspension components only for R&D prototyping, I would assume that they would borrow someones "stock" vehicle for a few days. Unless they already planned to pay for GS AWD suspension components, who's going to give them the parts only?

If those images you posted are for the IS AWD, I assume that the "front shock absorber lower bracket" is a bolt on from the car because I don't see it in the images (assuming that the IS has a similarly designed front shock absorber than the GS)?

If this all works out, I will highly consider BC coilovers when it comes time to replace my stock shocks.

Keep in mind, I'm just asking questions, not trying to deter or discourage anyone. I think that the AWD owners interested in immediately getting the coilovers should be asking more questions.

Last edited by nardeezy; 03-16-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-16-09, 08:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

my impression would be that it would come as a fully assembled kit including any brackets or anything needed for it. also i would hope they use a test vehicle for their R&D.
Old 03-16-09, 08:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

nardeezy - i did some searching over in the IS forum and here are pics of coilovers from BC Racing which does include the bracket.

Old 03-16-09, 09:00 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You re-use the lower mounting bracket on the AWD IS250 kit, so it will most likely be the same way on the AWD GS.

The first person to send us the stock suspension does in fact get a significant discount on the coilovers set we provide. They will also have the opportunity to test out the first prototype kit if they are able to.

CMS/BC just needs to make sure we can sell at least a few initial kits to cover the cost of production. A lot of people wanted to get the AWD IS250 kits into production but when it comes time to purchase they kind of disappear. People like having the option but it doesn't always mean they will buy when available.

We do like to bring out kits that haven't been targted by other companies. We try listening to what enthusiastas need.
Old 03-16-09, 09:14 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
You re-use the lower mounting bracket on the AWD IS250 kit, so it will most likely be the same way on the AWD GS.

The first person to send us the stock suspension does in fact get a significant discount on the coilovers set we provide. They will also have the opportunity to test out the first prototype kit if they are able to.

CMS/BC just needs to make sure we can sell at least a few initial kits to cover the cost of production. A lot of people wanted to get the AWD IS250 kits into production but when it comes time to purchase they kind of disappear. People like having the option but it doesn't always mean they will buy when available.

We do like to bring out kits that haven't been targted by other companies. We try listening to what enthusiastas need.
Nice, thanks for the clarification! Come on guys, hurry up, it looks like they need one more for deposit and a set of stock suspension parts!
Old 03-16-09, 09:16 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
nardeezy - i did some searching over in the IS forum and here are pics of coilovers from BC Racing which does include the bracket.

Good researching, thanks! This should be a slam dunk!

Is that the stock strut on the left?
Old 03-16-09, 09:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

ill try getting hold of batmobile. his brother has a awd 350 that they want to lower. i might be able to get some interest from him.
Old 03-16-09, 12:59 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

so how much will these actually lower the car? i haven't seen any numbers mentioned. keeping in mind I really know very little about suspensions. seems like you would want the front lowered more than the back.

also, from some prior posts...would having staggered wheels on a AWD GS be a bad thing? (other than not being able to rotate anymore) Assuming you stay within a minor % of spec wheel/tire dimensions.
Old 03-16-09, 01:24 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

as far as lowering i dont know how low these coils will go.

as far as staggering, you can do it but it does wear the center diff quicker if their off. some say it doesnt do anything and others say it does. to me its not worth risking.
Old 03-16-09, 04:06 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

If these are similar to the AWD IS250's then you should be able to get as low as you want. You can slam the car and tuck the stock tires and wheels into the fenders with more room to spare.
Old 03-16-09, 09:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

very interesting stuff, certainly a good thing for AWD owners...quick question about the manufacturing - will these coilovers be made in the USA or offshore?
Old 03-16-09, 11:51 PM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
very interesting stuff, certainly a good thing for AWD owners...quick question about the manufacturing - will these coilovers be made in the USA or offshore?

They will be manufactured in the USA. Florida to be exact.
Old 03-17-09, 08:00 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, people need to definitely jump on this but im very surprised people are not. This is a great a opportunity for the awd owners to have a coilover system so this shouldnt be passed up. Who knows when another chance like this may come up, theres pretty much nothing to lose except 45 days of waiting As far as the ride height adjustability, it looks like it should be able to go all the way down to the ground, since the design looks very similar to other coilovers....
Old 03-17-09, 08:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if we cant get a 5th person, ill throw down a $200 dollar deposit if that helps lol.

Quick Reply: AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read