Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

to lower, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 08:31 PM
lexmaniac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you guys think about the Tein S. Tech springs? i just got them today and i havent wen to have them installed on my car yet, prob. on Sunday. Does anyone here know if they will sacrifice the comfort on my 3GS or not?
Old 02-06-09, 08:38 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmaniac
what you guys think about the Tein S. Tech springs? i just got them today and i havent wen to have them installed on my car yet, prob. on Sunday. Does anyone here know if they will sacrifice the comfort on my 3GS or not?
Of course they'll sacrifice a bit of comfort. It will a little bit stiffer than before, but that's just the way it is with lowering springs, it has to compensate the drop so you don't bottom out. If you're staying with stock wheels it shouldn't be too dramatic of a change.
Old 02-06-09, 08:44 PM
lexmaniac
Driver School Candidate

but is there any big difference between the NF210 and the S. Tech??
Old 02-07-09, 02:58 AM
chubbyGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSracerRY
I have them on my 08 GS 460 and I love them!!
Yeah I know! And I believe they are the only coilovers that go the lowest I was gonna ask kelvin to ask you how you liked them and if you can go lower than that pic you posted!
Old 02-07-09, 09:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have tein cst all the way at the bottom and my ride is still pretty darn good with 20s.
I have the same set up with EDFC and I couldn't be happier. I can stiffen or soften the ride up and still look like a baller. LOL. I had springs done first and then ended up doing the coilovers because I hated the sag from the springs and the weak drop
Attached Thumbnails to lower, or not?-img_0025.jpg  
Old 02-07-09, 09:39 PM
lexmaniac
Driver School Candidate

i just got the S tech springs, still a little concern about installing them on my 3GS because i have also got a new FRP bumper installed last week, its already an inch lower than my stock bumper and i live in NY, and you know the roads here suck, if i get them installed on my car will be even lower to the ground without an option to adjust the ride heights later. I've also thought about the CST in the beginning but i ended up getting the springs. What you guys think i should do? sell the springs to get the CST or try my luck with these springs in NY city?? reason i got the springxs instead of the CST because car has the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with electronically modulated damping (electronic suspension) i believe it controls the stiffness or softness of the shocks by pressing the sport button. So if i swap it for the CST coilover would that button still controls the stiffness and the softness of the CST ?? Please advise really need some helps here
Old 02-07-09, 10:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i just got the S tech springs, still a little concern about installing them on my 3GS because i have also got a new FRP bumper installed last week, its already an inch lower than my stock bumper and i live in NY, and you know the roads here suck, if i get them installed on my car will be even lower to the ground without an option to adjust the ride heights later. I've also thought about the CST in the beginning but i ended up getting the springs. What you guys think i should do? sell the springs to get the CST or try my luck with these springs in NY city?? reason i got the springxs instead of the CST because car has the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with electronically modulated damping (electronic suspension) i believe it controls the stiffness or softness of the shocks by pressing the sport button. So if i swap it for the CST coilover would that button still controls the stiffness and the softness of the CST ?? Please advise really need some helps here
you will lose the use of the sport button if you install CST coilover. the sport button only controls the stock shocks
Old 02-09-09, 12:15 AM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chubbyGS
Yeah I know! And I believe they are the only coilovers that go the lowest I was gonna ask kelvin to ask you how you liked them and if you can go lower than that pic you posted!
You know Kelvin? How do you know him? My car can go a lil lower...probably about a whole inch. I just can't do it otherwise I'd scrape in and out of my driveway and over every speed bump since I'm still on the stock wheels.
Old 02-09-09, 12:42 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
whats with the mild drops here slam it down!!! lol...Tein CST are nice but the drop is mild so I wouldn't spent the money and not have my car lower then I could with springs. I am very pleased with the ride and handling with my springs. HKS makes good springs for the GS with a nice aggressive drop for the 2GS not sure if they do for the 3GS or not. I would look to see. Besides you have the best roads in CA and weather to allow you to slam it

I am on Tanabe DF springs and the drop is perfect (~2") and so is the ride. Its not harsh at all.
CA actually has some of the worst roads.....

As for the CST's (06+) I agree, its one of the most conservative coilovers ive ever seen next to the SS's, hence the ride comfort. It goes lower than springs, but not low enough for that "slammed" look.

Last edited by maying856; 02-09-09 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-09-09, 08:56 AM
chubbyGS
Rookie

You know Kelvin? How do you know him? My car can go a lil lower...probably about a whole inch. I just can't do it otherwise I'd scrape in and out of my driveway and over every speed bump since I'm still on the stock wheels.
Yeah ive known kev ever since we started doing shows lol. So at the level your at right now you don't really scrape speed bumps etc..? Im gonna have my coils installed tommorrow and wanna get a general idea at where to set them
Old 02-09-09, 09:23 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

i just got the S tech springs, still a little concern about installing them on my 3GS because i have also got a new FRP bumper installed last week...
For the same reason I have the Tein H Tech (< 1" drop). My INGS+1 front lip is low and extends outward/front. I am already having difficulty enter/exit some steep driveways including my house. The Tein H Tech isn't a drop to some hardcore here. But to my very reason the GS look nicer compares to stock and it is only for "look ", the actual driving difference is too small to notice.
Old 02-09-09, 10:04 AM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chubbyGS
Yeah ive known kev ever since we started doing shows lol. So at the level your at right now you don't really scrape speed bumps etc..? Im gonna have my coils installed tommorrow and wanna get a general idea at where to set them
I'll dig through my pics to see if I have anything that might help you. Are you in Sac? Right now I can make it out of most driveways and over most speed bumps (driving at huge angles of course) without scraping. Did you get new wheels too or lowering on the stocks?
Old 02-09-09, 10:45 AM
chubbyGS
Rookie

I'll dig through my pics to see if I have anything that might help you. Are you in Sac? Right now I can make it out of most driveways and over most speed bumps (driving at huge angles of course) without scraping. Did you get new wheels too or lowering on the stocks?
Cool thanks bro. HAHAHAH yeah i know what ya mean by huge angles. Yeah i ordered my wheels already just waiting on them you know how that is but in the mean while they will be on stocks. Im in Fairfield.
Old 02-09-09, 11:30 AM
joeker
Racer

have them on my 2GS. sacrificed a lot of comfort. much stiffer than certain other springs, but in my experience i would not go with s tech's for my 3GS, that's why i'm asking about the tanabe's NF210's
Old 02-09-09, 11:48 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do'nt forget Tanabe also makes coilovers for the 3Gen so thats another option. Your best bet would be to go with coilovers, this way you can adjust the height to the stance you want.

Quick Reply: to lower, or not?