Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBK: upgrade stock IS250 Brakes to 2019 GS350 F-Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 08:53 AM
xxbowiexx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default BBK: upgrade stock IS250 Brakes to 2019 GS350 F-Sport Brakes

A friend of mine just totaled her 2019 GS350 F-Sport. I decided to remove her front brakes/rotors and use it to upgrade mine. This is a task given how big the brakes and rotors compare to stock. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress if you follow along.

Here's a write up to share with you all. check it out

https://teamrpmblog.wordpress.com/20...lipers-rotors/

Last edited by xxbowiexx; 03-01-20 at 07:35 AM. Reason: update link
Old 02-05-20, 03:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I've got this GS/RC F-sport 14' upgrade coming up on my YouTube too. Still collecting parts but I got the calipers and will be doing a basecoat clearcoat in probably orange including the rotor hats.

The $500 rotors are what I'm waiting on and probably get IS-F dust shields.
The following users liked this post:
Aspect (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 07:45 AM
xxbowiexx
Rookie

I have the GS350 F Sport dust shields but it has a different mounting point so I can't use it. I bet the ISF dust shields would work well for you. what's ur youtube, I'll follow you.

Old 02-06-20, 05:15 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by xxbowiexx
I have the GS350 F Sport dust shields but it has a different mounting point so I can't use it. I bet the ISF dust shields would work well for you. what's ur youtube, I'll follow you.
I was researching that and noticed the GS/RC bolt on using bolts to the arm while the 2IS bolts behind the four hub bolts. The IS-F are $2 more each but guaranteed to fit. I will probably doing this mod next month when I'm finished with my VLAND headlight mods and episodes.

www.youtube.com/tunerwithkids
Old 02-07-20, 05:54 AM
xxbowiexx
Rookie

let me know how you like the
vland headlights. i like the vland tail lights but not sure if I want to upgrade the headlight yet. I followed you btw
Old 02-07-20, 10:29 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Glad someone is finally making this happen! I had this "dream" back in 2014 of doing this "budget" BBK kit. Perhaps additional info needed can be had on my old thread :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-f-sport.html

PLEASE continue to update us on your progress and the parts list!

PS : SICK Works wheels bro!
Old 02-09-20, 07:20 AM
xxbowiexx
Rookie

it was actually your initial post that inspired me to go this route. so kudos to you sir

Originally Posted by Gville350
Glad someone is finally making this happen! I had this "dream" back in 2014 of doing this "budget" BBK kit. Perhaps additional info needed can be had on my old thread :

Old 02-10-20, 02:06 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
Just realize you're going to decrease your performance by doing this. You are adding a larger, heavier rotor to the car in the way that impacts it the most: rotational weight. This means every time you accelerate, your car is now going to have to fight the extra weight that you added. Same thing for the suspension: you have a larger weight on there, meaning that the inertia is greater and therefore your suspension will be less reactive.

On top of that, the stock brakes are capable of locking up the front tires, meaning you're not actually going to get more braking performance outside of reducing brake fade: something that only track goers are going to use.
The F-sport GS 350 front rotors have steel rings with aluminium rotors hats. So the increase (if any) would be marginal.

Originally Posted by xxbowiexx
it was actually your initial post that inspired me to go this route. so kudos to you sir
Cool! Glad someone with more time and effort was able to move forward with this!
Old 02-11-20, 06:01 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Thats the same thread that inspired me to research this. I just ordered StopTech lines, just need to pull the trigger on the rotors and shields. But waiting till I have some more time.

Gonna basecoat clearcoat the calipers and rotor hats. I've been looking at those hats on the stock GS and RC's and they get nasty with brake dust so want to match them to the calipers.

I'm doing this more for aesthetics than the performance.

Old 02-11-20, 10:27 AM
Gville350

When you guys can, post up the weight differences between the larger 14" F-sport GS350 rotors and our factory 2IS rotors?
Old 02-11-20, 02:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

FWIW, IS F front backing plates are the correct ones to use for these brakes.

Jeff
sinister2c (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 12:24 PM
sinister2c
Racer

When you guys can, post up the weight differences between the larger 14" F-sport GS350 rotors and our factory 2IS rotors?
I will do that when I order my GS F-Sport Rotors and do the swap.
Old 02-13-20, 12:10 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Based on my research the larger 2-piece rotors from the GS/RC are approximately 1.5 lbs lighter than the smaller rotors from the IS/GS/RC.

Note that the lighter weight comes from the aluminum hat, so while that affects the unsprung mass in a positive way, the overall moment of intertia may still be worse because the heavy iron weight is further from the axis. Without doing the calculations though, I would say that there is probably a net benefit to the larger brakes from an unsprung mass perspective, at least from an IS350. The IS250 has smaller, lighter rotors but uses a steel caliper instead of an aluminum one. (IS250 rotors are about 5.5 lbs lighter than IS350 rotors, though the calipers are about 3.5 lbs heavier).

Long story short: the larger 2-piece rotors with their aluminum hats and aluminum monoblock calipers are about the same weight as the IS250 brakes while being almost 2.5" larger and four-piston instead of single-piston.

These brakes will likely fit well on AWD models as well.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-13-20 at 12:17 PM.
xxbowiexx (02-26-20)
Old 02-14-20, 07:39 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I been having this setup from few years sitting in my basement. Was going to install into my IS350 but ended up trading in for a bigger family suv. But i still have and is250 awd to put it on. I can conform it fits but has a little wiggle on the hub of the AWD but once tighten with lug nut it good. Another note it doesn't clear oem 18 rims. It hits the top edges that need to shave to fit. Rotor itself feel heavier to me than my is350 oem but that just me. All i done was a test fit not yet to do the full install since it hasn't been a priority. I have talked to Jeff about the install to the AWD also a year ago too.
Old 02-14-20, 09:00 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Based on my research the larger 2-piece rotors from the GS/RC are approximately 1.5 lbs lighter than the smaller rotors from the IS/GS/RC.

Note that the lighter weight comes from the aluminum hat, so while that affects the unsprung mass in a positive way, the overall moment of intertia may still be worse because the heavy iron weight is further from the axis. Without doing the calculations though, I would say that there is probably a net benefit to the larger brakes from an unsprung mass perspective, at least from an IS350. The IS250 has smaller, lighter rotors but uses a steel caliper instead of an aluminum one. (IS250 rotors are about 5.5 lbs lighter than IS350 rotors, though the calipers are about 3.5 lbs heavier).

Long story short: the larger 2-piece rotors with their aluminum hats and aluminum monoblock calipers are about the same weight as the IS250 brakes while being almost 2.5" larger and four-piston instead of single-piston.

These brakes will likely fit well on AWD models as well.

Jeff

A nice deep dive regarding moment of inertia. If acceleration is important; this stuff matters..Equally true when decelerating too.

Anyone notice things like motorcycle forks, off road shocks and things like that getting inverted? All efforts to reduce unsprung weight so the axle can react quicker.

I would like to see this conversion done with data logs of before and after acceleration and braking times and distances....

And what about brake bias and master cylinder bore dia? Anyone look the GS MC diameter? Do these calipers use the same MC?

Quick Reply: BBK: upgrade stock IS250 Brakes to 2019 GS350 F-Sport Brakes