Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 09:58 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Just did the fronts with the ASP (performance) and left the rears alone since they don’t really generate brake dust like the OEM front pads. I will probably keep using OEM pads on the rear since there isn’t an Akebono ASP version for the rear.
Old 12-26-18, 10:57 AM
bajong
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Flash!

My wife loves her new IS350. We had the calipers powder coated in red so they look really nice too. No mods on her car. Your car looks great! I love my RCF, but I should have bought a regular RC instead and supercharged it. It probably would more fun to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (12-26-18)
Old 12-26-18, 02:33 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Just did the fronts with the ASP (performance) and left the rears alone since they don’t really generate brake dust like the OEM front pads. I will probably keep using OEM pads on the rear since there isn’t an Akebono ASP version for the rear.
The rear pads do so little, so just switch to the ACT pads in the back and get rid of all the dust.
Old 12-26-18, 07:06 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold

The rear pads do so little, so just switch to the ACT pads in the back and get rid of all the dust.
The rear OEM pads don’t produce almost ANY dust so I’m not worried about it. Thanks though.
Old 01-23-19, 08:43 AM
and3re
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What are the pad part numbers for the akebonos

IS 250 F SPORT - Rear: ( ACT1391 ?? Or N1010419468AKE ?? )
IS 250 F SPORT - FRONT: ACT1118

IS 300 F SPORT - Rear: ( ACT1391 ?? Or N1010419468AKE ?? )
IS 300 F SPORT - FRONT: ACT1118

IS 350 F SPORT - Rear: ( ACT1391 ?? Or N1010419468AKE ?? )
IS 350 F SPORT - FRONT: ACT1118

Can anyone confirm this? I read from some parts stores that there are changes in the years and other parts stores say there aren't.
Old 01-23-19, 09:03 AM
Aleksei
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 02-09-19, 07:14 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Akenbono noise level

Do the Akebono pads squeal when cold like the OEM F-Sports? The squealing is driving me nuts. I love in Toronto area and in the winter the OEM pads tend to squeal. It’s embarrassing to drive the car. Yes I know....performance brakes tend to be noisy and it’s a badge of honour but I am not tracking the car. I do a lot of highway driving and just want some decent brakes that don’t squeak all the time. I had my breaks serviced recently and they have been noisy every since. I plan to take it back and have them do it again but it may be that we have had very cold temps the past few weeks.

I have about 42000km on the pads so not sure if need to be replaced already but dealer didn’t mention they were worn yet.

Old 02-09-19, 07:22 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MadmanJay
Do the Akebono pads squeal when cold like the OEM F-Sports? The squealing is driving me nuts. I love in Toronto area and in the winter the OEM pads tend to squeal. It’s embarrassing to drive the car. Yes I know....performance brakes tend to be noisy and it’s a badge of honour but I am not tracking the car. I do a lot of highway driving and just want some decent brakes that don’t squeak all the time. I had my breaks serviced recently and they have been noisy every since. I plan to take it back and have them do it again but it may be that we have had very cold temps the past few weeks.

I have about 42000km on the pads so not sure if need to be replaced already but dealer didn’t mention they were worn yet.

I'm in Toronto as well, and have Akebono pads. They only squeal when cold and from my experience only initially if going in reverse...nothing after that.
Old 03-15-19, 04:36 PM
mastalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I'd seen this thread before I put on ACT1118s on the front. They definitely generate less brake dust than the OEM pads but really don't have the same bite anymore. I will probably swap them out with the ASP1118s this summer.

For the rears, I ended up installing Wagner QC1391s because my original OEM pads started grinding and Wagner was what was available for next day delivery on amazon.ca.

So far I've replaced pads front and rear and flushed the fluid. Rears are shuddering really bad at any speeds over 70 kmh, so I'll need to change the rotors as well now. What's the general consensus here regarding the best brand of rotors for the 350 F Sport?
Old 08-07-19, 11:23 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to revive this, but I just went through my original factory pads in less than 15k. I LOVE the performance of the OEM pads, but I want a decent compromise with longevity without having to spend $500 on pads every 10-15k miles. It sounds like the ASP1118s are the way to go. For those that have the ASP (Performance) pads, how many miles have you been able to get out of them?
Old 08-07-19, 12:10 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
Sorry to revive this, but I just went through my original factory pads in less than 15k. I LOVE the performance of the OEM pads, but I want a decent compromise with longevity without having to spend $500 on pads every 10-15k miles. It sounds like the ASP1118s are the way to go. For those that have the ASP (Performance) pads, how many miles have you been able to get out of them?
I dont have the ASP pads so I can’t help with your question but who the hell is changing your pads for $500? The OEM pads are $60 and the labor for changing just the pads should be no where near that price
Old 08-07-19, 08:22 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Lexus dealer, it was around 490 for pads and resurfacing the rotors, but then they had a $50 coupon. Another local dealer wanted 500 at another point.
Old 08-10-19, 12:02 PM
skarface46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Rotors

I have 18k miles on my 18 IS 300 f sport, plan on doing a full brake overhaul, meaning rotors, pads and fluid flush, I was also considering stainless steel lines but I read thread of someone saying our brake lines are made of a kevlar material that is superior to stainless steel? Can someone confirm that with a fact ? Also from what I’ve been reading so far OEM is the best choice to go with if I’m strictly looking for performance I plan on doing AUTOX and track days.
As far as rotors go this was what I found to be the best from searching https://www.frozenrotors.com/checkout/
does anyone have other opinions ?

Last edited by skarface46; 08-10-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 05:51 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skarface46
I have 18k miles on my 18 IS 300 f sport, plan on doing a full brake overhaul, meaning rotors, pads and fluid flush, I was also considering stainless steel lines but I read thread of someone saying our brake lines are made of a kevlar material that is superior to stainless steel? Can someone confirm that with a fact ? Also from what I’ve been reading so far OEM is the best choice to go with if I’m strictly looking for performance I plan on doing AUTOX and track days.
As far as rotors go this was what I found to be the best from searching https://www.frozenrotors.com/checkout/
does anyone have other opinions ?
For track days I would definitely look into getting aftermarket reputable track/street performance pads/rotors. The stock pads and rotors are pretty good, but for frequent track days/autox I wouldn't recommend stock brake components.
Old 08-11-19, 11:51 AM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the ASP1118 work on the '17 IS200t F-Sport?

Quick Reply: Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance