Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Prothane Poly bushings in Toyolex Frnt LCA

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 06:43 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Prothane Poly bushings in Toyolex Frnt LCA

'93 SC-400
Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY installed Prothane Poly bushings in the aftermarket Toyolex Lower Control Arms?
MY OEM ball joints in the OEM LCA's are shot so I picked up a set of Toyolex replacement LCA's with their standard rubber bushings already installed.
I'd like to replace the Toyolex rubber bushings with a set of Prothane Poly Bushings that I'm positive fit the OEM arms because I already did that swap once before.
(Yea, I already know that voids any warranty but I like Poly bushings).
Before drilling & burning out the rubber bushings in the Toyolex LCA's, I measured the Toyolex "Barrel" ID to be sure the Prothane poly bushings will fit.
However, it appears that both bushing barrels on the Toyolex LCA's are about 1.5 mm LARGER than the respective Prothane bushings AND the OEM LCA's.
Note that I AM aware the two LCA barrels on the front lower arms are different ID's. BOTH are about 1.5 mm larger than the respective Prothane bushings and OEM arm barrels..
Therefore, it appears that both bushings would literally "fall into" the barrel of the LCA's and never fit snugly. With that much slop, they would get torn up within minutes of driving.
Before I give up, leave the rubber bushings in place on the Toyolex LCA's and live without my poly bushings, has anyone already been down this road?
Old 06-07-18, 11:03 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The toyolex arms are too new of a product for anyone to test this yet.

Maybe you should look into trying the bushings from the 97-00 LCA and see if it fits.
Old 06-07-18, 11:39 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

it sounds like you already answered your own question with your measurements, and with that you would have to custom your own or source poly bushings with the exact dimensions of the toyolex arms gl!