Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changed Brakes and steering wheel shakes..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 10:15 AM
cataphora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Brakes and steering wheel shakes..

Good afternoon everyone. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any ideas on whats going on. I own a 2001 is300 with 140k on the odometer. I absolutely love this car. Bought it 10 years ago and cant seem to get rid of it.

Last week, I changed the front brake pads to the car with OEM parts. Driving around town, the car has no issues but i noticed that when I'm on the highway or going over 50 and I apply the brakes (im not slamming the brakes but I'm stepping on the brake pedal a good amount) i can feel the steering wheel shake until i come to a complete stop. I searched online and some people say it might be due to the fact that i over torqued the lug nuts when putting the tires back on or I have read that the brakes may need to be "broken" in. Either or, I am going to take the wheel off and put it back on later on today and make sure i dont over torque the lug nuts.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be the issue?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-18, 10:28 AM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i see no mention of swapping rotors. did you have shaking issues prior to replacing the pads? if so, new pads alone are not going to fix the bad rotors.
Old 04-17-18, 08:09 AM
Citronlemo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I no longer have the car but was repeatedly replacing the brakes rotors, brake pads and brakes themselves due to shaking when applying the brakes on my Lexus RX 350. Lexus was telling me that I was riding the brakes too hard and while I really liked the car, I ultimately I got rid of it due to expense and the hassle of having it repaired. I am once again seeking another car -- would love to get another Lexus. So i googled the issue, and discovered many, many others have experienced the same issue on this and other models and received the same reply. I am shocked to see that Lexus continues not to acknowledge and/or fix this issue. Wondering what can be done to light a fire under them?