Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Excessive Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 05:28 PM
Amar84
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive Tire Wear

* also posted in the GS suspension section but since the suspensions are similar I thought I'd ask here as well.

Looking for some suggestions as to the cause of the excessive inner tire wear I am seeing on my last 2 sets of rear tires. First set lasted 4K miles, second set lasted maybe 8k miles at the most.

I have a 2014 GS350 AWD lowered with the J5 coilovers and the figs rear camber arm. Alignment was checked and adjusted to factory specs before the latest set of Michelin super sports went on. The shop mentioned the toe was way off causing the first set to wear prematurely. Now I'm starting to wonder if there's something not tightened down that is allowing the alignment to change over time?

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help!

Old 07-31-17, 05:47 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Holy crap! Did you have a blowout?

what exactly were your alignment specs? It is a definitely a toe wear.

3IS Rwd has same wear issue on the fronts due to the soft lower control arm but no so much on the rear.
I think the combination of excessive camber and toe caused your problem. Unless you have a possibly loose toe arm?
Old 07-31-17, 06:32 PM
Amar84
Rookie

Thank you for the reply!

Definitely wasn't a good way to start the week! It was a blowout, had to get it towed to the dealership.

Unfortunately I can't find the copies of the alignment specs but I remember they were pretty much exactly the same as the factory specs.
Old 07-31-17, 09:13 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

If i remember correctly my factory rear toe was way off too as well (no modifications whats so ever). But the tires held up just fine, 18k and probably had another 10k more to go.
Do you remember what your camber settings were for the rear after installing the adjustable camber arm? 4-8k seems very extreme unless alignment was really off.

also it seems like from the pictures, the tire blew out due to low air. The toe wear probably caused the air to leak.
Old 08-01-17, 10:13 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

I commented on the GS thread as well but the RR Racing USRS.

Contact us to get it shipped to CA real fast!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-01-17, 11:28 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

I think he is talking about his rear tires.
Old 08-02-17, 08:22 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

Yup that looks like the rear suspension not front

It's odd that you'd get that kind wear on the inside of tire for the rear. The lower the car goes in the rear the more toe-in it produces. It should scrub moreso the outside of the tire depending on camber specs

Could it be lower tire pressure played a role? Do you have TPMS to keep track?

Did you have shop inspect to make sure nothing was loose at any of the suspension adjustment points? Better than speculating and just check on your actually car
Old 08-02-17, 09:44 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

a interesting semi related video that I thought i'd share of how much Toe angle movement happens on factory suspension arms when the vehicle is lowered through its suspension travel.

(good part starts at about 3:00 mark)

I posted the video to show Toe movement through suspension travel.
Ignore the excessive camber, It is personal preference and done for styling of course

Last edited by specONE; 08-02-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 10:21 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

did you figure out what the problem was?
Old 08-07-17, 03:05 PM
Amar84
Rookie

Mechanic at the dealership thinks the alignment was off (toe) in front and back but while he was inspecting the vehicle he noticed the differential seal was leaning so he is going to check the alignment after that repair rather than now.

I will keep you all posted
Old 08-07-17, 06:54 PM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I am having the EXACT same issue. Came here researching if adjustable camber arms would help. I am currently lowered on RSR super downs with 20" Vossen CV5's and I'm getting about 8k on my rear tires. My current set will be my 2nd as well. I also had my last alignment done at the dealership. Interested to see what the resolution is, these tires are burning a hole in my wallet.
Old 08-08-17, 10:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Even if your toe is set to 0 or close to it, you could experience dynamic toe change. That is toe change under load/while driving. So at rest you could have 0 toe but while taking a turn or under light accelerating/braking, you could have excessive toe change. Dynamic toe change can occur when bushings are busted and weak. If your car is high mileage or lowered without removing preload to bushings, you could have dynamic alignment changes.

I'd inspect the front control arm bushings first.--assuming your alignment toe is zeroed out (or close to it)
Old 08-08-17, 09:31 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amar84
Mechanic at the dealership thinks the alignment was off (toe) in front and back but while he was inspecting the vehicle he noticed the differential seal was leaning so he is going to check the alignment after that repair rather than now.

I will keep you all posted

Did you check the rear alignment after this issue? if the toe setting are changing after few thousand miles, then it has to be a bushing or loosen bolt. It seems like other IS owners with lowering springs have same issue on the rear.
Old 08-11-17, 01:17 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump!

just got an alignment this morning and noticed my passenger rear has the same issue...same tires too.

As for the alignment spec sheet, please keep in mind that I was preciously lowered on Swift Springs and went to BC Racing coilovers last month. I waited about a month for the alignemnt (un-intentional) and my tire is shot.

Input much appreciated.

Last edited by mjh09e; 08-11-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 03:41 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

mjh09e, I got about 15k miles with the same set up with Swifts springs and 19"s F sport forged before noticing the same tire wearing horribly on the inner. My car often totes 4 people and lately I'm pretty sure my rear stock shocks are toast! I'm also going with BC coilovers and would like your input on adjustability and ride quality?

I bought a pair of these in hope to adjust the rear camber to hopefully even out tire wear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-Rear-Camber-Kit-2014-2015-IS250-IS350-2015-up-RC350-2013-up-GS350/282132890606?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Quick Reply: Excessive Tire Wear