Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers- most comfortable for DD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 07:42 AM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilovers- most comfortable for DD

I've talked with my buddy Gerrb about wanting to lower my sc300. I still want a comfortable ride as close to stock as possible because I Drive this car everyday. He mentioned that springs and shocks would be best for that and I agree. But I think I may want ride height adjustability for different scenarios.
So, y'all tell me. Coilovers- what is the closest to stock feeling coilover out there?
Old 05-07-17, 10:22 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It comes down to how low do you want to go?

I have a set of tein street basis coilovers right now. It is a tein s tech spring matched with a tein shock, threaded ring, and requires an oem top hat. It's decently comfortable, but I wouldn't buy them again because they're too soft for my application and lack dampening. I had to raise my car up to balance things out. At my current ride height they were able to do what I needed (drive without making my wheels rub).

by blackexcoupe, on Flickr

If you're ok with a height similar to the one in my picture (you could go lower if your rims aren't as aggressive), then I would recommend the tein street advance coils. They're basically the same setup that I have, but with dampening. As far as spring rates go, they're one of the softer coilovers on the market.
Old 05-07-17, 10:30 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I ran the Cusco Zero 2E on my SC for many years.... way too stiff and harsh for the streets.

I realised that the moment I installed my current coilovers... KW V3 for the MKIV Supra. Ride is just like OEM if not better. Yeah they are not exactly cheap, but by far the best coilovers I've seen on an SC (I've ridden in many SCs with different setups ranging from HKS Hypermax, Stance, etc.).
Old 05-07-17, 10:33 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.powerhouseracing.com/pro...-kit-for-supra

I know most MKIV owners swear by them and won't install anything else, and I have to say I agree 100%.
Old 05-07-17, 10:38 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I ran the Cusco Zero 2E on my SC for many years.... way too stiff and harsh for the streets.

I realised that the moment I installed my current coilovers... KW V3 for the MKIV Supra. Ride is just like OEM if not better. Yeah they are not exactly cheap, but by far the best coilovers I've seen on an SC (I've ridden in many SCs with different setups ranging from HKS Hypermax, Stance, etc.).
Did you have to run the supra TT top hats with the KW or were you able to make the OEM SC ones work? I was shopping for KW before I had my hks rebuilt, but the idea of having to buy new top hats turned me off. From my research it seemed like the purple collar wouldn't fit over the SC top hats.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-07-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 05:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I had to buy supra ones.
Old 05-08-17, 01:30 AM
geauxsimon
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
https://www.powerhouseracing.com/pro...-kit-for-supra

I know most MKIV owners swear by them and won't install anything else, and I have to say I agree 100%.

😳 wow....a little rich for my blood! But they sure seem nice. They better ride AMAZING for that price!
Old 05-08-17, 12:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geauxsimon
😳 wow....a little rich for my blood! But they sure seem nice. They better ride AMAZING for that price!
If it helps, they're about $400 cheaper directly from KW.

I've never experienced them in a SC or supra, but in other cars I've driven they perform better than stock and ride smoother.
Old 05-08-17, 01:42 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The word "comfortable" and "smooth" should not be used with coilovers....to increase performance you are going to have to compromise on comfort.
Old 05-08-17, 02:38 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
The word "comfortable" and "smooth" should not be used with coilovers....to increase performance you are going to have to compromise on comfort.
I understand. I guess I should've stated the most important thing is comfort since I am not looking for race worthy handling for corners or anything. Pretty flat ground and a lot of city driving where I am, so mainly focused on comfort.
Old 05-08-17, 02:39 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
If it helps, they're about $400 cheaper directly from KW.

I've never experienced them in a SC or supra, but in other cars I've driven they perform better than stock and ride smoother.
Thanks for the input I'll look into that.
Old 05-09-17, 03:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Aaron - the brand and model of coilover is secondary on how a coilover ride. The construction and spring rates dictates how it rides. You choose the coilover based on the use of your car. Twin Tube coilovers are a lot better for street applications. Monotube coilovers are more for the track or racing circuits . Exactly the reason why many of those coilovers who people say are good riding suspension on the streets or for daily driving have twin tubes and those who people say are sh?tty on the streets are monotube coilovers. People put the wrong kind of coilovers for the use of the car and then complain.

Now that you have mentioned the use of your car and all you need is adjustability of height, regardless of brand and model which would dictate quality , reliability and robustness , you need to buy coilovers that have twin tube constructions then decide on the front and rear spring rates if the manufacturer gives you the option. That has an effect on suspension bounce and quality of ride too.

I have all kinds of suspensions now on my 10 2jzgte toys. From stock suspension to lowering springs / aftermarket shocks to different kinds and brands of coilovers but I am sure by now you know my favorite among them .

Last edited by gerrb; 05-09-17 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:31 AM
VVTIJZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fortune Auto. They build the coilover spring rate and damper control to your liking. Not overdampened and not over-sprung. Talk to them and they can advise you correctly. Typically takes 3-4 weeks for them to make a custom set. You can get the custom performance without the custom price.
Old 05-02-18, 02:54 PM
chuckq4yoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
It comes down to how low do you want to go?

I have a set of tein street basis coilovers right now. It is a tein s tech spring matched with a tein shock, threaded ring, and requires an oem top hat. It's decently comfortable, but I wouldn't buy them again because they're too soft for my application and lack dampening. I had to raise my car up to balance things out. At my current ride height they were able to do what I needed (drive without making my wheels rub).

by blackexcoupe, on Flickr

If you're ok with a height similar to the one in my picture (you could go lower if your rims aren't as aggressive), then I would recommend the tein street advance coils. They're basically the same setup that I have, but with dampening. As far as spring rates go, they're one of the softer coilovers on the market.
actually just bought the street basis for my sc as well, I was wondering if you had to replace your dust boots? mine are kinda shot
Old 05-04-18, 08:01 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckq4yoo
actually just bought the street basis for my sc as well, I was wondering if you had to replace your dust boots? mine are kinda shot
Mine were still in good condition, so I reused the existing ones.

Quick Reply: Coilovers- most comfortable for DD