Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Shock Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 01:13 PM
ftnguyen1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shock Replacement Options

Hey guys, my 2014 IS250 has been making a clunking sound for awhile and i was told that my passenger rear shock is leaking and needs to be replaced eventually. I have about 70k miles on the car so i am definitely out of warranty and need to see what my best options are.

Dealer quoted me about 1k to replace both rear shocks and non dealers are saying about ~650 for OEM or KYB replacements.

I was also considering spending a bit more for BC Racing Coilovers with Swift Spring upgrade to replace everything as i assume my front shocks are wearing out and may need replacing soon since my rears did. My friends and I could install the coilovers ourselves to save some money. I wouldn't mind a slight drop but definitely want the comfort to be as close to OEM as possible.

What do you guys think i should do?
Old 04-11-17, 02:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Contact a dealer parts dept (check different dealers for prices--some are way higher than others) and DIY rear shocks. I'm guessing around $150-200 a piece. Or you can go to autozone and get aftermarket.

Don't go BC anything. that's trash. these are grown up cars, go with pro quality big name OEM brands. Nothing drifsters/teens use on their hopped up 240s.

Go huge professional names always.
The following users liked this post:
ftnguyen1 (04-18-17)
Old 04-12-17, 07:20 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to maintain the exact ride/drive characteristic of the car, replace the rear shocks now, do the fronts when they die... that's the most economical way. The installing is really easy since the rear springs and shocks on the 3IS are separate, while the fronts you will need a spring compressor to take them apart when replacing the front shocks.

If you want an upgrade to able to adjust ride height and and damping force, go coils.. BUT you have to know that this will only lower the car as well as stiffen up the ride. All aftermarket coilover sets will lower the car by a bit (even at highest setting), and all of them will be stiffer than stock. The cost will be higher since you're buying new springs and shocks at once. Installation is even easier since you replace everything.. no spring compressors required (unless you buy cheaper coil over sets that require you to reuse the stock top hats). But like E46CT said, avoid the cheap brands and stock with quality names.

hope this helps
ftnguyen1 (04-18-17)
Old 04-14-17, 11:40 AM
ftnguyen1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys.

It sounds like the BC Racings coilovers aren't worth buying and i wasn't looking too spend too much more. So it looks like i will probably replace with OEM shocks for the rears.

It looks pretty cheap for the shocks at https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...530-80665.html , any idea if this is legit and safe to order from? Would i need any additional parts to replace alongside that part?

A few local shops are charging about $200 for the labor, does that sound about right?
Old 04-16-17, 05:13 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ftnguyen1
Thanks for all the info guys.

It sounds like the BC Racings coilovers aren't worth buying and i wasn't looking too spend too much more. So it looks like i will probably replace with OEM shocks for the rears.

It looks pretty cheap for the shocks at https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...530-80665.html , any idea if this is legit and safe to order from? Would i need any additional parts to replace alongside that part?

A few local shops are charging about $200 for the labor, does that sound about right?

That's not a bad price. Some may say you can get it done cheaper, but if you consider the cost of living and what it cost to run a business in California I'd say the labor cost is fair. Don't forforget you may need anan alignment.
ftnguyen1 (04-18-17)
Old 04-17-17, 07:50 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

For the "price" the BC Racing coilovers are good. they are nothing compared to KW's or Bilstein's. But for budget in mind you can't beat BC Racing. It is very comfortable for the street, not so great on the track.

Lets just say, "most" people won't know the difference.
ftnguyen1 (04-18-17)