Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What's your opinion on the best value in a handling upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-03, 09:00 AM
lasermd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's your opinion on the best value in a handling upgrade?

Hello all!

For whatever reason, my old screen name of GS&SC won't work. Anyway, here's my question to those more on top of this stuff:

I have a GS400 with only a few minor upgrades. I'm looking to enhance the handling a little bit, without going overboard. You know...something that I can tinker around with in my garage on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at? Strut tower bar, perhaps?

The only upgrades on the car right now, are as follows: SRT intake kit with ECU upgrade, 17" Mille Miglia Impera wheels, 245/45ZR/17 Dunlop SP5000 Asymetrical tires, Piaa X-treme white high, low and driving lights, EBC Sport Grooved front rotors with EBC GreenStuff pads. Oh yeah...and the tinted windows.

Any direction with the handling question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...and enjoy your day!!

All the best,

Drew A. Watson
Valparaiso, Indiana
SinnWatches@attbi.com
LaserSystems@attbi.com
Attached Thumbnails What's your opinion on the best value in a handling upgrade?-drewsgs400-13.jpg  
Old 05-30-03, 09:04 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L-Tuned

Get the L-Tuned suspension set up and the TRD Strut tower bar...you'll be all set after that, without going too extreme.
Old 05-30-03, 09:11 AM
lasermd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply, Johnny. Do you know what is included within the L-tuned suspension kit? More importantly, what should I expect (handling wise) once installed?

Thanks again,

Drew A. Watson
SinnWatches@attbi.com
LaserSystems@attbi.com
Old 05-30-03, 09:32 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

This should have been posted in the suspension and handling forum, and a search in that forum on 'handling mods' would have turned up a plethora of information

The first thing is L-tuned suspension (shocks, springs) followed by sway bars and rear / front LCB.
Old 05-30-03, 09:43 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: L-Tuned

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Get the L-Tuned suspension set up and the TRD Strut tower bar...you'll be all set after that, without going too extreme.
Ditto

Or the LTuned Springs & Shocks and the TRD Sways
Old 05-30-03, 10:07 AM
Lvangundy

Daizen sway bars and bushings.

contact www.tmengineering.net
Old 05-30-03, 10:28 AM
lasermd
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up lexus300

Thanks for your suggestions, guy's. It looks like the L-tuned suspension parts are the way to go. I've nosed around over the past hour or so, and it seems like most of those who have made the conversion are pleased with it.

Now for a quick call to Carson's.

Thanks again!

All the best,

Drew A. Watson
SinnWatches@attbi.com
LaserSystems@attbi.com
Old 05-30-03, 01:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Shocks and sway bars effect the handling the most.

Spring mostly just determine the ride height. But of course the lower the car is, the lower the center of gravity = better handling.

Strut tower bar, lower tie bar and all those structure reinforcement pieces don't do much at all. Unless your spring/shock/sway bar are super race car stiff that the car frame is actually twisting, you won't feel any differences. For a Lexus, they are mostly cosmatic.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-30-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-30-03, 02:08 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

going for the springs and shocks help, but don't expect dramatic differences or you will be disappointed. granted, its something that you need to do anyways, but its not a giant difference as sway bars would make. so, springs/shocks and sways get my vote
Old 05-30-03, 02:20 PM
lasermd
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus300

Thanks very much, BNR34 & Bravo 261. Those are exactly the type of answers that I was hoping for!

I'm going to get some of these goodies on order. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to get them installed late next week.

Thanks again, guy's!

All the best,

Drew A. Watson
SinnWatches@attbi.com
LaserSystems@attbi.com
Old 05-30-03, 02:34 PM
GraceGSGrl
Driver School Candidate

Related question: I know that if Lexus does the install of the L-Tuned parts, your warranty will not be jeopardized. What other modifications that have been discussed can be done without risk of voiding the warranty?

I'm guessing anything except the L-Tuned install would void the warranty, because only the L-Tuned parts are sourced from Lexus. How about TRD parts?
Old 05-30-03, 02:46 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Warranty

Warranty issues really depend on the dealer...some are mod friendly and some are not. I know that my dealer Lexus of Manhattan will only do L-Tuned installations not other (non-stock) suspension setups, but being in NYC they have no choice but to be relatively "mod" friendly as there are alot of "playaz" in the NYC area that hook up their cars. It all depends on the relationship that you can build with your service team.
Old 05-30-03, 04:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowest cost-wise, I agree with the others on L-Tuned + sways.

The L-Tuned will get you a good ways there. If you have more $ to spend then you might consider coilovers. I have the L-Tuned shocks/springs now and am considering going to one of the softer coilovers like the Tein CS.

I've heard some good things about the Daizen sways being better for the ride but still as good as the TRDs in cornering. I'm almost tempted to switch out my TRDs for the Daizens.

When I had the L-Tuned and sway combo, the ride got a bit harsher on bumpy roads but the handling was great with a minor flaw in the rear. I had less confidence in the rear. Sometimes I felt I might lose it a bit going around corners (faster than usual). After I put on the Tom's rear LCB, that feeling went away. I also put on the TRD front LCB at the same time but I think the rear piece had more to do with correcting the rear.

I do not have STBs on the car right now. They are next. Every bit helps. For example, the rear LCB did not change the ride drastically compared to the L-tuned and sways but it gave me back my confidence in my car.

BRN, I'd have to respectfully disagree about the braces being cosmetic on a Lexus. Maybe on some cars but I felt the difference on my GS. When I first got on this board and mod parts were not as plentiful as they are now (could use more but ... ), some people with only the STBs felt the difference in handling. I am sure you are familiar enough with your dad's GS stock ride. Maybe you can hook up with someone in your area to see what a modified Lexus feels like. I am sure it won't ride like your Skyline but you'll notice the difference.

Last edited by Neo; 05-30-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-30-03, 07:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
When I had the L-Tuned and sway combo, the ride got a bit harsher on bumpy roads but the handling was great with a minor flaw in the rear. I had less confidence in the rear. Sometimes I felt I might lose it a bit going around corners (faster than usual). After I put on the Tom's rear LCB, that feeling went away. I also put on the TRD front LCB at the same time but I think the rear piece had more to do with correcting the rear.

I do not have STBs on the car right now. They are next. Every bit helps. For example, the rear LCB did not change the ride drastically compared to the L-tuned and sways but it gave me back my confidence in my car.

BRN, I'd have to respectfully disagree about the braces being cosmetic on a Lexus. Maybe on some cars but I felt the difference on my GS. When I first got on this board and mod parts were not as plentiful as they are now (could use more but ... ), some people with only the STBs felt the difference in handling. I am sure you are familiar enough with your dad's GS stock ride. Maybe you can hook up with someone in your area to see what a modified Lexus feels like. I am sure it won't ride like your Skyline but you'll notice the difference.
Hi Neo,

Great, I love friendly discussion like this. This is the best part about an internet forum.

I must admit my post was a little misleading. I was trying to say for minor mod with the best bang for the buck, shock/spring/sway bar make the most differences. I am sure every bit help. I guess I shouldn't say all the structure reinforcement bars are for cosmatic only. I was trying to say they don't make that big of an impact on handling. Especially for regular driver. Good, now I know those bars do make a difference on the GS. You are right, it depends on the car. See on my GTR all those bars come standard with the car, people switch them out mostly for looks or to save weight (Titanium strut tower bar, lower tie bar.....etc)

I think the handling on the sport design is pretty decent already with just the L-tune shocks. The biggest problem with it is the 55 series tires. The body rolls quite a bit but is very acceptable for a stock luxury car. Actually I have a taste of what a fully modified GS300 feels like in the handling department. It is my friend's car with 20s, Apexi coil over, TRD sway bar.......etc. The ride was very stiff, stiffer then my stock GTR. But it was still acceptable. I love it
Old 05-30-03, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Great thread... I concur with what mostly everyone's said...

L-Tuned springs/shocks for $1K installed are a terrific upgrade, reducing all the wallowing in the stock setup and lowering the car an inch. lasermd - I have to say, your picture shows why a car, particularly one with aftermarket rims, MUST be lowered some.

TRD sways are gonna be about $700 installed and they make an amazing difference in terms of eliminating body roll.

Then there's braces (upper/lower) and strut bars (front/rear), they eliminate FLEX in the chassis which improves steering and just makes the car feel tighter and more controlled when driving. The more braces and bars the better.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on the best value in a handling upgrade?