Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Found issue after DIY spring install

Old 06-13-15, 06:22 PM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found issue after DIY spring install

I purchased my 2014 is350 f sport about 2 months ago and it had 15K miles on it. I installed RSR down springs today and after taking off the tire I see flat spots on one of the the inner tire all the way down to the white threads starting to show in a couple places.

Now when I go back to the dealer they are probably going to give me *!@# for the springs and spacers on there aren't they? There is no way I am going though swapping them out again before I take it in. I guess my questions are, do I have any legs to stand on at this point? If so how should I handle it?

Also I put on 20mm spacers all around and that same side is rubbing. Not terrible but enough to bother me. Do you think the whole issue is an alignment problem?

These are the spacers I bought. They are the right ones right?

HUBCENTRIC BOLT-ON 20MM WHEEL ADAPTER SPACERS PATTERN 5X114.3 CB 60.1MM 12X1.5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130841031365?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-13-15, 08:00 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah the dealer will more than likely blame the lowering spring installations.
Also by flat spots do you mean the inner part of the tire is wearing out due to the increased negative camber from being lowered? Like a tapered effect?

And yes, those are the correct sized spacers for our cars.
Old 06-13-15, 08:07 PM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the springs today lol. I noticed the tire issue when I had the tire off.

It's like the inner most 1.5 inch. The rest of the tire is fine.

But yes they will probably not believe me that I just put it on. I have a delivery on the springs for 5/25 that I have as proof I just got them.

Again, I just bought he car 2 months ago from a lexus dealer. That tire shouldn't have passed inspection. No way it happened since I bought it. I didn't hit anything or do anything to cause it.
Old 06-13-15, 09:20 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah I see what you mean now, yeah that does suck.
Do you have any pics of the tires by any chance? It might help determining what caused the flat spots, as it could be a number of factors (car sitting out an extended amount of time, bent wheels, bad balance, combination of under-inflated tires, etc.)

Definitely keep the receipt of the shipping for the springs, and mention it's what you saw when you removed the tires.

Last edited by LexSense; 06-13-15 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-15, 07:15 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

If I were you and noticed the tires while I took it off to do the springs I would have stopped right there and settled it with dealership first before proceeding but it's too late for you now. I think it would be a tough case in your part now. Was it a CPO car or just a general used car sale?
Old 06-14-15, 07:39 AM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
If I were you and noticed the tires while I took it off to do the springs I would have stopped right there and settled it with dealership first before proceeding but it's too late for you now. I think it would be a tough case in your part now. Was it a CPO car or just a general used car sale?
Unfortunately I didn't have that luxury. We had everything done and we didn't notice it until we put the tire back on.

I got a frozen/stripped end link that needs replaced. Stripped out the center and couldn't move it either way. We got around it by taking off the bottom part but it's stuck on loose. I can hear it clicking now

Other than that it went okay, just took forever.

I am just going to lay it out to the dealer and see what they say. They were cool about every small issue like painting the bumper from a scratch I found after I bought it.

It wasn't CPO. There was another 2014 that was but I wanted my color. I wondered why.

Does anyone know a place where I can get the end links?

Last edited by Sight22; 06-14-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 03:31 AM
Fsportlex
Driver

I would advise everyone to become friendly with one of the advisors and meet the manager as did I. I told them I was lowering and doing mods and they were all for it. Bought them bottles of wine lol. I installed super downs and messed up my sway bar links with vise grips because they were rusted. Took me four hours to get them off. They were ruined and the dealer replaced them at no cost because I gave them advance notice and told them the truth that they were rusted beyond normal wear and tear. No issues just be honest there are good people out there for sure