Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 04:58 PM
bayawak69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Camber Wear

just got my IS250 last week and am planning to get RSR Downs and was wondering if these cars have camber wear issues or do they have camber adjustments? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-15, 05:14 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No camber adjustments.

The camber should only be marginally out of spec maybe about 1 degree or so if I remember on RSR Downs, so you shouldn't really have much of an issue.
Old 04-07-15, 06:13 PM
bayawak69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
No camber adjustments.

The camber should only be marginally out of spec maybe about 1 degree or so if I remember on RSR Downs, so you shouldn't really have much of an issue.

Thank you!
Old 04-07-15, 07:59 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

I just dropped on Swift springs and have -2.2 and -2.3 in the rear. No camber adjustment. One side is in spec the other is barely out. Not crazy but also not perfect.
Old 08-02-15, 08:07 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddvette9
I just dropped on Swift springs and have -2.2 and -2.3 in the rear. No camber adjustment. One side is in spec the other is barely out. Not crazy but also not perfect.
What was the front?
Old 08-02-15, 11:55 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Don't worry too much about camber. Just get an alignment after waiting for the a week or two for the springs to settle in and fix the toe adjustment. Toe is what really eats tires. Camber will eat tires but nowhere near the rate of what a out of toe specs would
Old 08-03-15, 08:31 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

-2 degree or more is a lot for street driven car, you will see significant tire wear. Not to mention you it contribute to more understeering. I personally would invest in a camber kit.
Old 08-03-15, 03:47 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've lowered a couple vehicles in the past Acura and Infiniti. and I agree around -2.0 camber is getting to be too much for daily. Tires will wear out maybe 20% - 30% faster and the stance starts to look a little too ricer for me.
Old 08-03-15, 06:20 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Camber wear...

Originally Posted by bayawak69
just got my IS250 last week and am planning to get RSR Downs and was wondering if these cars have camber wear issues or do they have camber adjustments? Thanks in advance!
Camber wear is unacceptable to me. I completely concur with jkonquer and gregerst.

I have lowered dozens of cars and trucks of all types over the years, and have never experienced tire wear (other than rears due to HP issues!). Doing it right the first time, including a proper alignment, works wonders. See my posts in the thread link below. Pay particular attention to post #23 that may be beneficial to you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...f-sport-2.html
Old 08-03-15, 09:29 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

What if it's just a weekend car? I drive 100miles total to work everyday and can't drive this car daily. Would you still recommend camber kit? I probably drive 150 miles top per week on my IS.
Old 08-03-15, 10:19 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Why isn't anybody listening to me. Fix your toe and don't worry about the camber too much. Toe will eat the tires the fastest and will look like camber wear. I never have had a camber kit for any of the cars once every lowered and I lower my cars really low. You guys really want to straighten your camber back to zero and risk the chance of tire hitting our odd shaped rear fender arches?
Old 08-03-15, 10:24 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Why isn't anybody listening to me. Fix your toe and don't worry about the camber too much. Toe will eat the tires the fastest and will look like camber wear. I never have had a camber kit for any of the cars once every lowered and I lower my cars really low. You guys really want to straighten your camber back to zero and risk the chance of tire hitting our odd shaped rear fender arches?
I see your point. I don't think going back to zero is what they trying to do here lol, more like back to specs range.

What is the stock camber specs anyways? I've never installed camber kits as well and always opt for zero toe. I usually like -1.5-1.75 of camber. I will probably live with -2 for now after I drop it since I don't drive it daily.
Old 08-04-15, 01:23 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
From what I've been told by wheel aligners is that the toe can correct camber wear, I'd still like less camber though.
Old 08-04-15, 08:17 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

It really comes down to this.... If SOME premature tire wear is acceptable to you, by all means bring the toe in after you lower it and call it a day. If you want it right, correct the camber. If 2* or more negative camber were not an issue for tire longevity, the factory specs for virtually any car manufacturer would be much wider. I personally am far too picky to not do it right the first time.
Old 08-04-15, 08:25 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fooz
From what I've been told by wheel aligners is that the toe can correct camber wear, I'd still like less camber though.
Correcting the toe will NOT correct camber wear. Correcting toe will correct toe wear. Although toe wear is often misconstrued as camber wear.

Toe, depending on severity, will often kill a tire much quicker than camber, although severe camber will effectively reduce the life span of a tire insurmountably.

It isn't rocket science, just basic chassis and suspension geometry that really hasn't changed much since cars with four wheel independent suspension (or even independent front suspension for that matter) were introduced to the market.

Even dinosaur vehicles with straight axles and king pins would have camber wear when the king pin bushings were worn, inducing camber wear when the tie rods were cherry and toe was set correctly.

Again, this stuff is as basic as it gets.

Quick Reply: Camber Wear