Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 08:50 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can either (1) get new rims (2) try to put some spacers (3) shave the calipers.

I wouldn't recommend you to shave the interior of the rims nor shave the calipers. But some members do shave the SupraTT calipers in order to fit in.
Old 04-24-03, 08:34 AM
LexFather

This is a top 10 ClubLexus thread, IMO. Great pics and even better information.
Old 05-06-03, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Here is a pic of stock bake caliper, OEM sized-cross drilled rotors. Tiny. But I got to get different wheels before I get different brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)-small.jpg  
Old 05-10-03, 06:30 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AramiGS400
[B]And some more RMM Jewelry:

Where can I get those braided hoses Arami??????????? Would you mind pm'ing me?? TIA, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 05-10-03 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 10:27 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinygs
[B]
Originally posted by AramiGS400
And some more RMM Jewelry:

Where can I get those braided hoses Arami??????????? Would you mind pm'ing me?? TIA, Tiny
I wanna know the same thing too.
Old 06-06-03, 01:07 PM
DocofMind
Driver School Candidate

Here is my addition to this thread:

Here are the specs:

13 x 1.25 2 piece directional vaned U.S made rotor (X drilled and Slotted,CAD plated AND Cryo frozen)
6 piston radial mount caliper
Anodized hats and brackets
EBC Greenstuff pads
Goodridge Stainless lines
Aircraft quality hardware

2 things that are unique about this set up are the weight reduction in unsprung weight and the cryo freezing. The kit drops about 6 pounds of unsprung weight off each front wheel which is instantly felt!! Much better steering feel. The cryo freezing doubles the life expectancy of the rotor while creating a flatter outer surface which in turn creates a larger contact patch with the pad.

BTW, those are 19" TE37s

Last edited by DocofMind; 06-06-03 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Pic didn't show bud.
Old 06-06-03, 02:55 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by DocofMind
Here is my addition to this thread:

Here are the specs:

13 x 1.25 2 piece directional vaned U.S made rotor (X drilled and Slotted,CAD plated AND Cryo frozen)
6 piston radial mount caliper
Anodized hats and brackets
EBC Greenstuff pads
Goodridge Stainless lines
Aircraft quality hardware

2 things that are unique about this set up are the weight reduction in unsprung weight and the cryo freezing. The kit drops about 6 pounds of unsprung weight off each front wheel which is instantly felt!! Much better steering feel. The cryo freezing doubles the life expectancy of the rotor while creating a flatter outer surface which in turn creates a larger contact patch with the pad.

BTW, those are 19" TE37s
That is just so beautiful. I love the part regarding the weight reduction the best. Anything to reduce the weight of our heavy cars is very welcome!
Old 06-06-03, 11:58 PM
zenki300
Driver

Hey DocofMind,

I noticed you had the wilwood brake setup. I was just curious if it's true that the wilwood brake calipers don't have dust seals? If it doesn't, do you have to check and clean them out often?
Old 06-07-03, 07:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Doc - posted this in your other thread as well...

Do you know what the weight of the WW calipers is? How about the rotor?
Old 06-07-03, 10:57 AM
DocofMind
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by zenki300
Hey DocofMind,

I noticed you had the wilwood brake setup. I was just curious if it's true that the wilwood brake calipers don't have dust seals? If it doesn't, do you have to check and clean them out often?

Race calipers dont have dust seals. If they did, they would melt on the track and dissapear anyhow. I have been running Wilwood calipers on my last 3 cars with heavy track use and have never experienced any problems. There is just one simple procedure to perform when swapping pads, but thats it. All you have to do is clean the exposed area on the piston with scotch gaurd before pushing them back into the caliper to fit the new pads. The funny thing is that the pads that fit this exact caliper are 20mm thick. Thats a lifetime of pad material. Also, the part number for the pad is one of the most abundant in the market. Practically every brake pad manufacturer makes these pads. If you have a personal favorite flavor, I can almost guarantee that it is available. Wilwood themselves makes 9 different friction levels alone. Hawk makes about another 5. Obviously, EBC has them as well
Old 06-07-03, 11:22 AM
DocofMind
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Doc - posted this in your other thread as well...

Do you know what the weight of the WW calipers is? How about the rotor?
Well, to my surprise, i was being very conservative in terms of the weight reduction. I just weighed everything out and was amazed at how heavy the factory components were. Here is the breakdown between the two set ups. Wilwood 6 piston and OEM SC430 brakes.

Factory Rotor: 16lbs. vs 13 x 1.25 2 Piece Rotor: 11lbs.+2lbs. for the rotor hat and hardware = 13lbs.

Oem caliper, bracket and pads is a whopping 14lbs vs. Wilwood 6 piston caliper,pads, and bracket = 7lbs

In all, you drop 10 pounds of unsprung weight of each front wheel!!!! Anyone that is into racing knows that one of the best way to increase handling, acceleration, and over all performance is to reduce unsprung weight.

These weight differences hold true for the SC, GS, and LS
Old 06-07-03, 11:46 AM
DocofMind
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DocofMind
Well, to my surprise, i was being very conservative in terms of the weight reduction. I just weighed everything out and was amazed at how heavy the factory components were. Here is the breakdown between the two set ups. Wilwood 6 piston and OEM SC430 brakes.

Factory Rotor: 16lbs. vs 13 x 1.25 2 Piece Rotor: 11lbs.+2lbs. for the rotor hat and hardware = 13lbs.

Oem caliper, bracket and pads is a whopping 14lbs vs. Wilwood 6 piston caliper,pads, and bracket = 7lbs

In all, you drop 10 pounds of unsprung weight of each front wheel!!!! Anyone that is into racing knows that one of the best way to increase handling, acceleration, and over all performance is to reduce unsprung weight.

These weight differences hold true for the SC, GS, and LS
Well, low and behold and am stumped again. I just checked a recent thread on the Rotora big brake set up and they also have the weight of the OEM components listed and they are completely different than mine. All in my favor of course

According to Rotora, the OEM rotor weighs 20 pounds while the OEM caliper weighs 17.5. If this is true, than the Wilwood kit drops 17.5 pounds of weight off each front wheel Is that even possible

Does anyone have the actual weight of the OEM parts so can clarify this issue? TIA
Old 07-14-03, 01:01 AM
LexFather

ANyone else?
Old 07-14-03, 07:19 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had this pics posted on other threads, but here it is anyow!

Quick Reply: Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)