Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 02:52 PM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Great looking car and tastefully appointed!!! I must admit a certain preference for a Cinnabar GS with gun metal/polished Volks.

I'd love to start a new thread on your dyno results. Your stock HP is more than many WITH exhaust and intake and your second dyno is equally as impressive. Is it possible that those number represent the "spike" HP [and TQ] that occurs during the auto shift? Or perhaps the variance is more represenative of the type of dyno? Most stock or nearly stock GS have been dynoing between 225 and 240 HP, and many with intake and exhaust have been hitting about 260 HP. You also mention "tuning" by SP engineering and perhaps this explains the difference -- what was tuned and how?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I appreciate your complements and your interest in the technical details involved with my unique car.

I would love to fulfill your inquiring mind curiosity with some definite explanation of the “Dynoing” results right away and with an equal eloquence of your analysis. But I will have to ask you for your patients because some more detailed article will be presented soon that will address all your concerns. All I can say to try to address some of your concerns is that you are certainly, absolutely positively right when you expected some mentioned “tuning” by SP Engineering to be mostly responsible for spectacular results.
As far as my explanation for poorly performing cars with an aftermarket exhausts, it is quite simple. I have not seen any real time (performed before and after installation – same day) “Dyno” results showing any significant benefit of a modify exhaust on the modern import stock car against the very well tuned stock exhaust as of yet. On the contrary I witnessed quite so many times the customers coming to a “High Performance Shop” inquiring new aftermarket exhaust and abandoning their just very fine tuned stock equipment just for the benefit of a loud “farting” sound and a shiny look of an oversized pipe or for an elusive benefit of the ultra light material. Just the other week I witness a fellow who coughed up over ~$1,200.00 for such a change and left the shop perfectly happy with about 8 RWHP less then he arrived with. That does not occur when you modify a power plant first and pressurize the “Engine Pump” with a boost. Then the new properly tuned exhaust might very well show some promising results. Otherwise, perhaps you remember the very first 1998 Lexus GS 400 Pace Car with nice gurgling BORLA exhaust that lost quite a bit of a ponies and time on a ¼ mile performance tests against the pure stock one at that time, the exercise with adding the expense of Poser exhaust ahead of Racing Torque converter or LSD (properly geared for desired results) might present itself futile to the wallet and practically pointless.
I guess what I am trying to say you are not going to catch me with any exhaust until Rod Millen supercharger will start boosting my power plant or until I will go for some really futile move to my wallet first like an engine swap for a SP Engineering turbo charged over 700RWHP Supra motor/6 spd trainy that I witnessed just the other day.

Well I would love to chat some more. Next time I will try to present SP Engineering “Dyno” charts for your viewing pleasures.

Please be patient.

For now just a little appetizer from SP Engineering Dyno of a GS 300 engine swap results.

Old 03-31-03, 05:47 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow Arami. Great reply.
Old 03-31-03, 07:22 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AramiGS400 -- Thank you for your reply. I concur that mis-matched modifications often lead to a reduction in performance and that matching and tuning are critical. While I am certainly curious about your post modification tuning its your stock numbers that caught my eye. I'm particularly interested in watching your cars transformation to force induction as I am contempling [dreaming] of something very close. I currently have the RMM SC parts list posted on the wall of my office...
Old 04-01-03, 02:36 PM
LexFather

AramiGS400, all I can say is WHOO WHOO!!!

Incredible car and even better write-up. Please post more often.
Old 04-02-03, 05:28 PM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Thanks for the encouragement.

Here is a few more Big Brakes CURB APPEAL pics for your viewing pleasure:

Big Brakes
:

TEIN Flex with ADFC (Automatic Dampening Force Control):

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-18-08 at 06:18 AM. Reason: fixed image links
Old 04-02-03, 05:39 PM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

And some more RMM Jewelry:

Can anybody tell me who’s car is this blue GS with 19" AV3's?:

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-18-08 at 06:18 AM. Reason: fixed images
Old 04-02-03, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i wanna know too, look very familiar to mine (spectra blue with 19" av3), but i don't ahve body kits. who who?
Old 04-04-03, 12:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to D2Technik in Alhambra,CA....that car was shot outside of their shop and Volk/Makin used it for their catalog....

Red calipers are only RICE if you paint stock calipers red...Red Brembos, Red AP's, Red StopTechs are not rice because those are REAL big brake kits...Red Supra TT calipers are borderline ricer since they are a real brake upgrade but it's a stock part that never came in red...

AramiGS400 - Nice looking GS...the color of the car and wheels go well together...one recommendation though, don't but from lexusgrill.com...they guy that runs it is a loser.
Old 04-04-03, 07:12 AM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Manaray
Talk to D2Technik in Alhambra,CA....that car was shot outside of their shop and Volk/Makin used it for their catalog....

Red calipers are only RICE if you paint stock calipers red...Red Brembos, Red AP's, Red StopTechs are not rice because those are REAL big brake kits...Red Supra TT calipers are borderline ricer since they are a real brake upgrade but it's a stock part that never came in red...

AramiGS400 - Nice looking GS...the color of the car and wheels go well together...one recommendation though, don't but from lexusgrill.com...they guy that runs it is a loser.
Thanks Manaray,

Thank you for the complements.
You are very right about both issues. The only RICE you could tolerate should be on your dinner menu plate and not on your cars.
You are also right about that guy from LEXUSGRILL.com, but you warn me to late. I already ordered the color coordinated grill in RMM style. It should be here a week ago according to their promises, promises, but ... Can you see it on the pictures of my car? ...Hmm ... I can’t...

The guy is a little bit flaky, but he is al least honest about that.

Thanks again for the info on the BLUE GS.
Old 04-04-03, 10:42 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by AramiGS400
You are also right about that guy from LEXUSGRILL.com, but you warn me to late. I already ordered the color coordinated grill in RMM style. It should be here a week ago according to their promises, promises, but ... Can you see it on the pictures of my car? ...Hmm ... I can’t...

The guy is a little bit flaky, but he is al least honest about that.
Before the guy was banned from CL I also purchased a painted RMM grill from him. The grill came quite a bit later than promised and I was not pleased with the paint job. The color match and overall "texture" was good but the prep work was lacking -- there are LOTS of places where you can see particles stuck under the paint.

At the time this was a CL group buy arranged by a fellow member and given the circumstance I cut him some slack. But... He is now doing this as a business and I would hold him to higher standards with regards to dealing with his customers and the quality of work done.

In the grand scheme of things my new grill looks way better than my stock grill and the paint is holding up well after a year. Good luck with yours.
Old 04-06-03, 04:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Manaray,
You are also right about that guy from xxxxxgrille.com, but you warn me to late.
Yeah, I wish I could have told you earlier...plus all the parts he sells can be had for much less. He basically buys them from official dealers (he's not an official dealer of anything but his chrome "race" stickers) and then tries to resell them...some people don't get stuff right away because he tries to hit up the stores for "quantity" discounts which means he needs to have enough buyers...very MICKEY MOUSE "business"...and he's trying to make knock-off parts too now... Classic cheeseball.

Are you getting some sort of Aero kit?
Old 04-06-03, 11:07 AM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I wish I could have told you earlier...plus all the parts he sells can be had for much less. He basically buys them from official dealers (he's not an official dealer of anything but his chrome "race" stickers) and then tries to resell them...some people don't get stuff right away because he tries to hit up the stores for "quantity" discounts which means he needs to have enough buyers...very MICKEY MOUSE "business"...and he's trying to make knock-off parts too now... Classic cheeseball. ...

Thanks Manaray for the insightful and quite detailed analysis of “cheeseballiness” operations.

Are you getting some sort of aero kit?
I am not getting any ordinary aero kit. I’ve just ordered AB FLUG carbon fiber dress up and mostly appearance parts set and VARIS Japan carbon fiber vented hood just like on the pics below. I hope you don’t have any scary stories about these companies.

AB FLUG parts are supplied by the “Untainted by the concept of limitations” – BOZZ PERFORMANCE at:

(http://www.bozzperformance.com/index.htm)

45499 Industrial Place Unit #2, Fremont, CA 94538
Phone: (510) 657-4393 Fax: (510) 657-4395

AB FLUG Carbon fiber “Half Spoiler Lip” and AB FLUG carbon fiber front spoiler "Under Deffuser":

AB FLUG carbon fiber front bumper air duct intake and carbon AB FLUG carbon fiber front bumper side air duct exit, AB FLUG carbon fiber under tail deffuser:

And the VARIS hood comes from JAPAN through INTENSE MOTORSPORTS distributor in about 8 to 12 weeks (we will see? - parts are paid for just I have to be patient now like a Tybetan Munk! ) :

Intense Motorsports Racing L.L.C.
240 N. Sunway Dr., Suite #101
Gilbert, AZ 85233

Phone: (480) 926-5453 Fax: (480) 926-0268
sales@intensepower.com

Or:

(http://www.i-m-racing.com/index.html)

Last edited by AramiGS400; 04-06-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 12:12 PM
AramiGS400
Driver School Candidate

And the VARIS hood comes from JAPAN through INTENSE MOTORSPORTS distributor in about 8 to 12 weeks (we will see? - parts are paid for just I have to be patient now like a Tybetan Munk! ) :
And here is the rest of the parts that I have to patiently wait for for quite some weeks to come:

AB FLUG carbon fiber mirror and AB FLUG carbon fiber front/rear side half skirts:

And some under the hood jewelry:

Last edited by AramiGS400; 04-06-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-06-03, 09:42 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

All nice stuff....not my choice in terms of external appearance items but some quality stuff! Abflug makes some serious stuff! I would probably have done just the lower lip...but in general, I like full replacement front bumpers (which is what I have)...are the mirrors replacments or covers? Some CF replacement mirrors (with the correct US Spec mirror setup) would be nice!

As for Bozz, I haven't heard anything about them...but it sounds like you have a grip of cash tied up with them for this stuff!!
Old 04-06-03, 10:55 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Bozz is a few miles south of where I live in Fremont. I picked up my Volks there last year. Nice guys, but they don't do a lot of GS work. My experience was good but I traded several emails with an LA based CL member that was not as happy. Perhaps the difference between a local vs. remote experience? Hope your experience is a good one.

Quick Reply: Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)